Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Keysi Fighting Method

Likes (received)

Default Keysi Fighting Method

So what's with this Keysi Fighting Method? I just got the special edition Batman Begins DVD set and the KFM is talked about.

I also read an article in MAI about KFM.

From what I have seen it looks exactly like what I am doing at the moment.

Judo, Muay Thai and a bit of Aikido elements are all visible in KFM.

Do we really need another martial art invented by another person who claims to have created another perfect fighting system. First we had Bruce Lee, then that numpty Mike Vamplew and his Vambudo (who was a disgruntled TaeKwonDo guy and his system is nothing more than TaeKwonDo with some Jujutsu elements. He was in our Jujutsu club and only got up to Green belt before leaving to start his Vambudo!)

We have several others in our areas with urban combat sounding names.

What makes KFM different? The techniques look eaxactly the same to those I am currently using and let's face it a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick.

Lee Morrison's stuff looks good though and I have booked a training session with him in 2 weeks. He concentrates on gross motor functions.

Someone must know about this KFM stuff.
    Kevin Fisher

Likes (received)

Someone on another board said that one of the principles of it is that you only move forward, never steping back. Not sure if it's true or not though.
    Michael Kelly

Ironically neither a Niten Ichi practitioner or in fact a ninja.

Likes (received)

Even if that is a principle of KFM they haven't invented this. Ueshiba said this back when he invented Aikido.

It all sounds like martial arts in jogging bottoms to me and I think it belongs in bad budo.

Sounds like someone else has created yet another system which has simply combined techniques from existing arts and given it a fancy name.

One of the founders of this new system knew Buster Reeves and used it in the Batman film and all of a sudden everyone thinks it's a fantastic system just like they did with Bruce's Jeet Kune Do. Well people these films are FILMS and they have STUNTS and STUNT MEN and CHOREOGRAPHED and REHEARSED fights.

I am not knocking KFM I just want to know what it is and I would like some proof that it is not just another "young" western invented system.
    Kevin Fisher

Likes (received)

Well to be honest not allowing yourself to step backwards sounds pretty stupid.
    Michael Kelly

Likes (received)

Contacted KFM today and the only person I got to speak to was a young Woman. I was constantly told that the founder grew up in a mining town in Yorkshire and as a miner was obviously pretty tough and fought other miners who were all convicts????!!!????

She could not explain why KFM was different and said I had to "see it". I have been invited to a class but hey it's over 300 miles away from me and there are none near me so that's might convenient.

Have been searching the web and there are some awfully young and naive looking teenagers teaching this system. It looks as though they have passed levels and passed an instructor's course but I would not want to learn from them. Would rather learn from someone who has been in a real fight.

I have seen some footage and it looks exactly like Jujutsu and kickboxing with a bit of Aikido.

I fear that yet again we have another "miracle system" which claims to kick the arse of all other systems.

Think I'll stick to Judo and Muay Thai.
    Kevin Fisher

Likes (received)

''Keysi Fighting Method, also known as Keysi and KFM is a Jeet Kune Do off-shoot martial arts style developed by Justo Dieguez about 20 years ago.''

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keysi_Fighting_Method

hence why it looks like some muey thai and judo
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Likes (received)

I have just been invited to an instructor development seminar. I think the dollar signs have flashed in front of Mr Diego. How can anyone walk off the street and become an instructor in this system? Who is teaching these new instructors? Are they also instructors who have come in from the street?
    Kevin Fisher

Likes (received)

An offshoot of JKD? A good brazilian Jujutsu player would kick Bruce Lee's arse. I guarantee that any grappler will beat any striker hands down and day. A grappler who can strike as well? That's what I'm aiming to be. I am currently training Judo and am looking into Muay Thai. I have a weights bench on order and 100 kilos of weights. I will be hitting the bench as soon as it gets here. With proper nutrition and a suitable weights programme I can improve my strength.

I believe that my Judo and Muay Thai will make me one of the most efficient fighters I can be.

I agree with some comments I have read elsewhere that it is not the system that is important but the way that you train. I think the reason boxers are so effective is because of the way they train with the heavy bags. I think this is the reason that systems such as TKD are so ineffective.

I want to combine the training methods of a boxer with the techniques of Judo and Muay Thai and hit the weights to improve my general strength. The nutrition will help with my general health as well as my stamina, fitness, strength and physique.

The key with boxing is that a boxer knows that if he gets hit it isn't the end of the world. They are trained to accept that in a fight they will get hit. There are too many people in this world who's expectations of a fight are what they have seen in Hollywood. You know what I say about Hollywood? Hollywood is the illusion of competence.

See what I have done there? I have just created my own system. Do I give it a fancy name? Do I pretend that it is the best thing since sliced bread? No, I am just changing the way I am training.
    Kevin Fisher

Likes (received)

You've done it now, there will be Bruce Lee fan Boys all over the board soon...
    Michael Kelly

Likes (received)

Mr. Fisher,

I don't usually post in this section of the forum, but I'm curious:

What's the goal of your martial arts training? Do you want to be a NHB-type fighter, i.e. UFC, PRIDE, K-1, etc, or what?

Just curious.

Regards,
    - Alex Dale

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Dale
    Mr. Fisher,
    ...What's the goal of your martial arts training? Do you want to be a NHB-type fighter, i.e. UFC, PRIDE, K-1, etc, or what?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

- G. Funakoshi, Karate-Do Nyumon, 1943

Likes (received)

Default Films and Systems

Quote Originally Posted by medickev
    used it in the Batman film and all of a sudden everyone thinks it's a fantastic system just like they did with Bruce's Jeet Kune Do. Well people these films are FILMS and they have STUNTS and STUNT MEN and CHOREOGRAPHED and REHEARSED fights.
    Recently, I've been watching a video called "Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey" or something like that.

Interesting. He died when I was about 17. I didn't know he had played Kato in the Green Hornet. I had a little karate experience by then, had never seen the original Kung Fu TV movie, didn't know about Jeet Kune Do or much besides the names Karate and Judo.

But 33 years later, I get a better perspective on him. I see him now and I think that his experience was actually pretty shallow to say the things he said. Talking about a system of no system, way of no way, and so on, the Classical Mess, and Real Chinese Culture. He contradicts himself and seems confused in certain ways. He obviously had some great talent, but stands as an example of lack of cultivation.

The movie features Linda Lee telling the story of Man Jack Wong's "challenge" to Lee and how that fight went. I've also read the other side of that story and find it far more credible. After all, the Real Chinese Culture includes things like systems and specializations. And while claiming to defend and properly represent Chinese culture, he tossed a lot of it out the window. He was an extremely angry man.

Yet, a lot of what he talked about in Jeet Kune Do sounded like ordinary descriptions of baguazhang. It has various choreographed forms and two-man sets, but the ideals of application are to be spontaneous and near formless. And baguazhang has been around a long time. So it was available when Bruce was young and he could have trained deeply in that to reach his aim. But he rejected it and tried to reinvent the circle.

Then again, it seems that Man Jack Wong may have been trained in bagua. Does anyone know?

If that were the case, he would not have studied it so that he could avoid saying Wong had something Bruce didn't have.

Bruce was really cretive and very motivated, but, frankly, his technical repertoire was really limited to Wing Chun. I know, he "studied" Northern Shaolin and such, but it was self-teaching out of books. Yip Man is the only person he acknowledged as his teacher. He rejected many great masters to become a famous dead man at 32.
    David Orange, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
    Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

Wong Sifu's name is Wong, Jack Man.

He studied Bak Siu Lum, Lo Han, Taiji & Xingyi.

For more info on Wong Sifu, check out http://www.jingmo.com/wongjackman.html

or his students at

http://www.jingmo.org for Sifu(s) Leung, Louie & Chin.

http://www.jingmo.com for Sifu Rick Wing

All of them are Wong Sifu's students.

Chorus: "Hey Torquemada, whaddya say?"
    Torquemada: "Any new converts today?"
    Chorus: "Nay Nay Nay"
    Torquemada: "Send in the nuns!!"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by niten ninja
    Someone on another board said that one of the principles of it is that you only move forward, never steping back. Not sure if it's true or not though.
    This is also very prevalent in many Muay Thai camps; even also adding for every step you take back means stepping forward twice. This is why if you ever watch some of the more "classical" thaiboxers fight they keep "marching" forward.
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by medickev
    An offshoot of JKD? A good brazilian Jujutsu player would kick Bruce Lee's arse. I guarantee that any grappler will beat any striker hands down and day. A grappler who can strike as well? That's what I'm aiming to be. I am currently training Judo and am looking into Muay Thai. I have a weights bench on order and 100 kilos of weights. I will be hitting the bench as soon as it gets here. With proper nutrition and a suitable weights programme I can improve my strength.

I believe that my Judo and Muay Thai will make me one of the most efficient fighters I can be.

I agree with some comments I have read elsewhere that it is not the system that is important but the way that you train. I think the reason boxers are so effective is because of the way they train with the heavy bags. I think this is the reason that systems such as TKD are so ineffective.

I want to combine the training methods of a boxer with the techniques of Judo and Muay Thai and hit the weights to improve my general strength. The nutrition will help with my general health as well as my stamina, fitness, strength and physique.

The key with boxing is that a boxer knows that if he gets hit it isn't the end of the world. They are trained to accept that in a fight they will get hit. There are too many people in this world who's expectations of a fight are what they have seen in Hollywood. You know what I say about Hollywood? Hollywood is the illusion of competence.

See what I have done there? I have just created my own system. Do I give it a fancy name? Do I pretend that it is the best thing since sliced bread? No, I am just changing the way I am training.
    wow, I don't know where to start with this...
    First of all I'm curious what kyu are you in Judo? I have never trained in Tae Kwon Do but respect some TKD practitioners. Just because their are very many commercialized TKD schools doesn't mean all of them are. Something you should know is that many of the Muay Thai masters from Thailand have a huge background in "old school" Tae Kwon Do. Many Thaiboxers from Thailand combine TKD kicks with Muay Thai kicks. Look up guys like Master Sken and Master Toddy if you don't believe me.
    You don't do BJJ, so why are you talking about a bjj player kicking Bruce Lee's !!!? I like both BJJ and Judo but just a few hours ago I had an argument with a muay thai student of mine that also does bjj becuause he was putting down Judo. Many BJJ guys I know unfortunately put down Judo like you're putting down TKD in your post.
    The main reason I keep hearing is basically this: "besides Karo who else can make Judo work without a gi?"(before you judoka yell at me I like Judo!).
    Bag work is only a fraction of what makes boxing good..many people, including myself would argue that proper padwork is of greater aid than bagwork. No, you and your friend that you try to get to hold pads for you without never being trained won't be able to do it right. YOu have to train in a real boxing gym or a muay thai(maybe a kickboxing)gym to learn how to hold pads right. Bag work is good for strength/cardio training but not really for developing when to throw a combination/counter/or defense. Pad work does all of these when done properly.
    I think you kind of got a good general idea but need to get your facts straight a little bit. I can't knock you for wanting to train in Judo and Muay Thai but don't assume that every TKD guy can't fight. I'll say the same thing to BJJ practitioners about Judo...assuming will get your arse kicked.
    Brian Culpepper

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast