Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Saya Smudging?

Likes (received)

Default Saya Smudging?

An appeal to all fellow iaidoka.

Does anyone have any idea how I should go about removing the seemingly ever-growing finger-print smudges on my iaito saya?

The saya is covered in a black laquer glossy coating (which I have subsequently learned to loath, a matt finish wouldn't show the marks at all!)

After every practice session, being a sweaty-handed male, I am left with innumerable sweaty finger prints from the kurigata upwards.

I have scrubbed away with the cloth but it only seems to remove the upper, less viscous layer. The stickier stuff is still visible!

I'd go for it hammer & tongs with methylated spirit if I wasn't worried about damaging it.

Much obliged.
    Jonathan Freeman

Correct Thought Is The Essence Of Being.

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Try gently rubbing a wet sponge with some dishwashing liquid on it.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Once you get your saya clean with a bit of dish soap, something like Pledge spray wax for furniture leaves a nice protective coat and is much easier to clean on subsequent occasions...
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by heresjonny
    ...After every practice session, being a sweaty-handed male, I am left with innumerable sweaty finger prints from the kurigata upwards.

I have scrubbed away with the cloth but it only seems to remove the upper, less viscous layer. The stickier stuff is still visible!
    While sweat is mostly water, there will still be oils, acids, and salts in it as well. When you say, "I have scrubbed away with the cloth..." it sounds as though you've been just wiping the saya down with a dry cloth. That's good for removing dust, but won't do much for oily residues.

I second the tips above, except that I'd use a soft cloth rather than a sponge. Mostly water with a dash of dish detergent, and get the cloth wet but not dripping. Wipe several times then repeat with another cloth dampened with plain water to remove any residual detergent.

A light spray of Lemon Pledge on a soft, dry cloth (not directly on the saya) makes a good final wipe, and can be repeated regularly, whereas the washing should only need to be done infrequently.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

glass cleaner gets rid of smudges on most things.

or...you could cover the whole thing with fingerprints then atleast it would be uniformly smudged-hehe

Likes (received)

Smile Another option

On a different note, I’m from the option if I hate it I change it.

If you hate the shiny finish you can always get a matte lacquer and refinish your saya.

If it is scratched this would be a good time to cover them with a coat of black, then use a matte or satin clear coat.

Or use a textured black then cover it with a matte or satin clear coat.

Before you start:
    Wash the saya with dish soap and water (remove the oils) before doing any refinishing also, you may want to roughen up the existing base with some steel wool (take care not to breach the color coat or you will have to recoat with black) then wipe all residue before refinishing.

Just an additional option.
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

- G. Funakoshi, Karate-Do Nyumon, 1943

Likes (received)

Once you get your saya clean with a bit of dish soap, something like Pledge spray wax for furniture leaves a nice protective coat and is much easier to clean on subsequent occasions...
    I wouldn't even bother with the soap and water, just use Pledge. I clean my saya every couple of months with it. Pledge is made to remove fingerprints and such from shiny wood surfaces, and it works very well.

I would also say to not worry overly much about it. I clean mine when it starts to stick too much in my obi. Having it squeaky clean and fingerprint free is overkill if it's used regularly for practice.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Thanks for that.

While we're on the road of minute details:

I'm thinking of purchasing a daisho and then changing the sageo to suit my preference. Would I need to acquire a different length sageo for the waki.?
    Jonathan Freeman

Correct Thought Is The Essence Of Being.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by heresjonny
    ...I'm thinking of purchasing a daisho and then changing the sageo to suit my preference. Would I need to acquire a different length sageo for the waki.?
    Sageo length is dependent on how your school uses it. It's definitely an "ask your sensei" question.

But a too long sageo is easily cut to length. Just wrap a length of thread tightly around the sageo an inch above where you want it to end, then cut. Use a needle to un-weave the end of the sageo to create the fringe and you're all set.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Question New or antique Kojiri?

Hello,
    Does anyone know where I can find a good selection of kojiri for my saya to choose from? I have had a saya made and would like to have a kojiri added, but I am unable to find much available to choose from. Any advice would be appreciated. If the piece is right it doesnt matter if its new or antique.

Thanks,
    Troy M Spees

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by koeikannidan
    Hello,
    Does anyone know where I can find a good selection of kojiri for my saya to choose from? I have had a saya made and would like to have a kojiri added, but I am unable to find much available to choose from. Any advice would be appreciated. If the piece is right it doesnt matter if its new or antique.

Thanks,
    Troy M Spees
    Try...

http://www.japanese-swords.com/pages/kojiri.htm

I added one to my saya when I refinished it... It took a little rework but, I made it fit. Needed it because when I practice at my home I tend to smack things with the end of my saya due to the spacing constraints... Anyway good luck.
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by twayman
    Try...

http://www.japanese-swords.com/pages/kojiri.htm

I added one to my saya when I refinished it... It took a little rework but, I made it fit. Needed it because when I practice at my home I tend to smack things with the end of my saya due to the spacing constraints... Anyway good luck.
    Nothing personal, but I take exception to this kind of logic. If you keep bumping your saya into various obstacles, you primarily need to work on your zanshin. After all, awareness of one's surroundings is one of the things we strive for in iai (in fact, it's part of what the term iai actually means), so no excuses are allowed, no matter how crammed your apartment is!

At a recent seminar, we were taking turns practicing on the floor. Those not practicing were told to "observe the others with attention", not just merely to "wait". It was emphasized that this was just as much a part of training as being out on the floor, swinging your thing around. Anyway, one of the guys standing by the wall hit it with his saya. The closest standing sensei was looking in another direction, but turned around immediately when he heard the noise. The following exchange occured:

Sensei (looking at the two or three possible delinquents, then in stern voice to the actual offender): Whose saya hit the wall? Yours?

Poor sonofabitch (hesitating, and in a very weak voice): .... yes ...

Sensei (to the two others standing next to the guy): Take this man out and kill him! (turns around and walks away, winking to the others)

Aage Bakken

Ki is like duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. [yoj]

Likes (received)

Talking Thanks for rubbing it in!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Bakken
    Nothing personal, but I take exception to this kind of logic. If you keep bumping your saya into various obstacles, you primarily need to work on your zanshin. After all, awareness of one's surroundings is one of the things we strive for in iai (in fact, it's part of what the term iai actually means), so no excuses are allowed, no matter how crammed your apartment is!
    Not trying to belittle the art and I understand what you are saying. I'm still a beginner (at best I suck) and I have a ways to go... But now that my knee is blown to the point I can't walk I may never have the chance to put your advice into play. Either way I was more addressing the kojiri issue not my lacking in zanshin or iaido for that matter. But, Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by twayman; 6th December 2005 at 22:23.
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

Likes (received)

When I was scrolling down the main forum page and read the title for this thread, I thought at first that it said "Saya Smuggling." That, obviously, would have been cool.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.