Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Asayama Ichiden ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

In Koryu Bujutsu: Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan edited by Diane Skoss, page 63, there is a brief sketch of Asayama Ichiden Ryu Heiho. I never understood (or really, bothered to research in order to understand) the difference between this koryu and what is taught by Genbukan, etc. groups. Just a different line near the beginning I suppose. You can see a bit of this thumbnail description on Koryu.com under the ryu guide at http://www.koryu.com/guide/ichiden.html . Perhaps the Skosses or other koryu researchers would be able to give you more information.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Hi Chris,

Actually the Iwaki Hideo book has alot of things added into it that are not main line Asayama Ichiden Ryu. All the Tai Hodoki is not part of the system, or alot of the sword material. Inrelation to the information that was being taught as Gikan Ryu, this was actually information taken from copied versions of Tanemura Sensei's old Tapes. A group of people did not know what the techniques were so they thought they were Gikan Ryu, I know this because i was part of that group before I joined the Genbukan. It was then being spread around as Gikan Ryu patterns, hahaha, quite funny really.
    Inrelation to speaking with the Skoss's about the ryu ha, I would beg to differ. If they do not have a licence in the style they can only surmise. This is most likely why hardly any information is in about the style. You need to speak with someone that is actually licenced in the Ryu ha and that can speak with authority on it. I do not believe they are but I could be wrong.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hey Troy, and everyone

It's just interesting to me that a relatively lesser-known ryu-ha has several different places it crops up. The line I mentioned sure doesn't seem to have much presence in the English-speaking world (as actual people studying with this line) that I can find from easy-chair net-searching. I just hadn't seen anyone mention the description from koryu.com. No I don't think Diane and Mike Skoss claim any authority in speaking of Asayama Ichiden ryu other than their experience in koryu as observers and practitioners (of other ryu), experience much much greater than mine for sure. They may have met some practitioners or instructors of the ryu when they did their field study, I don't know. May be a lead, maybe not.

Here's a short clip from a demonstration in Japan with kama and bokken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bSJJTVxGSw

and a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asayama_Ichiden-ry%C5%AB

Probably both have been found by others. Well, my job (such as it is) here is done. Good luck researching Sean. Interesting to read about, for a fly on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Wideman View Post
    Inrelation to speaking with the Skoss's about the ryu ha, I would beg to differ. If they do not have a licence in the style they can only surmise. This is most likely why hardly any information is in about the style. You need to speak with someone that is actually licenced in the Ryu ha and that can speak with authority on it. I do not believe they are but I could be wrong.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Hi J.

Well as I said, I am ranked Okuden Menkyo in this Ryu ha so I can speak with a bit of authority, a bit. I am sure Mr. Meade can also contribute because of his rank as well.

Kind Regards,

Troy
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Well, good deal! Apparantly I missed the part where you said you trained in the same line. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Wideman View Post
    Hi J.

Well as I said, I am ranked Okuden Menkyo in this Ryu ha so I can speak with a bit of authority, a bit. I am sure Mr. Meade can also contribute because of his rank as well.

Kind Regards,

Troy
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------

Likes (received)

No problem, Good luck in your training.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Troy,J, Chris and Duke,
    Thanks for all the information, very useful. Chris, now you have me searching for another book (Tenshin Koryu) sounds very interesting and maybe another fruitless search. Good luck and good training to you all.
    Regards,
    Sean Halpin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3