Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Asayama Ichiden ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Default Asayama ichiden ryu

I am trying to locate quality media on Asayama ichiden ryu, chi no maki.Books, DVD or VHS that is not ninpo based and without having to spend 3 figure sums. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    Regards
    Sean Halpin

Likes (received)

Hello Sean,

Not sure what you mean by ninpo based. I have a Okuden Menkyo licence in Asayama Ichiden Ryu, when we do it in the Genbukan, or any ryu ha for that matter. It is taught as a seperate entity to the ninpo program. Inrelation to media and book coverage of Asayama Ichiden Ryu, there is a public book put out there by an instructor. However, this has a lot of other stuff mixed into it and is not Asayama Ichiden Ryu in its pure form. Tanemura Sensei, does have DVD's on the material but I think you need to be a member to get the information. As to the 3 figure sums, I think the video's are around $30 to $40 which is reasonable, I guess if you buy all three you might hit 3 figures. However if you really want to learn the art, you will need to find a qualified teacher of it and I am sure this will cost you more then the videos.

Kind Regards,
    Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hi Sean,

I actually just went to our website and noticed that the dvd's are available to the public. The dvd's from shoden to Okuden would run you around $130.00 in total, with shipping. However, if you are trying to learn the material I would suggest you find someone that is qualified because not all the information is given on the dvd's.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hi Troy,
    Thank you for the information. My knowledge on Asayama is limited and I have previously heard that Asayama as taught by Ninjutsu schools has been blended in with other forms of Jujutsu. This is not my opinion.....just hear say. Hence my reference in my previous post. I did have a look at media available from Tanemura sensei it looks very interesting, also his Hanbo book looks very interesting. I am not trying to learn this or any other art by video, I think I am old and experienced enough to know this is impossible. Unfortunately, this like many arts are difficult to find locally available.I would like to see and understand more about the basics of this art, to get a feel. If you can vouch for it, I would be happy to accept your recommendation. Have you viewed these DVD's?
    Kind Regards
    Sean

Likes (received)

Hi Sean,

I am just curious, are you in london england, or london, Ontario-Canada. If you are in Canada, come down and see me.
    Inrelation to the video's, they are great to give you an idea of the patterns but you obviously can't pick up the small points on the patterns. The Dvd's also do not give you all the patterns for the level. Obviously Tanemura Sensei does not want to give the whole schools techniques by Dvd.
    Inrelation to the style, it is a very hard joint locking system. In the higher levels it has some ground fighting incorporated into it. I have viewed the Dvd's and think they are a great referrence source to help someone remember the patterns, if they have already learned them, however, learning the techniques from them is another issue.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hi Troy,
    I am in London England. I have previously done a small amount of Asayama with Kai Kuniyuki Sensei's group.
    Regards,
    Sean Halpin.

Likes (received)

What's the full syllabus of Asayama Ichiden ryu like? I guess in days gone by some of its grappling and counters against grasps would be rare but compared to many systems, it seems fairly common enough.
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

Likes (received)

Hello Lance,

The system is compromised of locks, counters to locks, defences against strikes and some ground fighting in the higher level. In the highest level there is small stick techniques. I think the style gets more interesting as you proceed higher in the levels. It is usually one of the first ryu ha started under Tanemura Sensei.

Hi Sean,

What level did you reach in Asayama Ichiden Ryu.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hi Troy,
    Kai Sensei did not teach Asayama as a single gradeable stand alone art. In fact, he blended some of the aspects of asayama into his own style, Yoshin Ry Bujutsu, however, on occaison he would demonstrate or teach some Asayama techniques. As such, I am a big grade 0.
    Kind Regards
    Sean Halpin

Likes (received)

According to Sato Kinbei Sensei, Asayama Sangoro Ichidensai studied many styles of Jujutsu then based on this knowledge made his own Asayama Ichiden Ryu Ha.
    Sato Sensei learned this style from Takashi Ueno Sensei. Sato Sensei said that the style had many techniques that were similar to Dai To RyuAiki Jujutsu.
    I know of only one manual, and that is the one I have from Sato Sensei.
    The manual is divided into many sections.
    I do not think you would be able to learn much from this book. Like the other members stated , you will need a Sensei. Sato Sensei thought this style very worthy to pass it on.
    I have been teaching this style for 17 years and I agree with what Sato Sensei said.

Best Regards,

Duke Meade

Likes (received)

HI Duke,

Thanks for the contribution. Yes I agree with you, there are huge similarities to Daito Ryu. I like to classify it as a harder style then Daito Ryu, locks are applied more directly. This is just my assumption because I hold no rank in Daito ryu, it is only from what I have observed in video. What rank did you receive? Do you have the copies of Ueno Chosui's manuals. I have up to Okuden and again I agree that you can't learn the techniques from the manuals. It is most definitely a worthy style, which I think gets even more interesting at the higher levels.

KInd Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hi Troy San,

I do not have Ueno Sensei's manuals. I do have Sato Sensei's manual.
    It has all the Kata from begining to the end of this Jujutsu.

Studying from Sato Sensei, we learned many techniques and other things from all of the different styles he had studied. This fruition of his was Dai Wa Do (大和道)
    As for rank, I have a Kaiden Menkyo of Dai Wa Do and other.

Thanks for your reply,

Duke

Likes (received)

HI Duke,

Thats great, its nice to finally chat with you. I have heard about you and your dojo. Yes your teacher was a great man and he is connected to our family as you know. I wish you all the best in your training. Who knows maybe we will cross paths sometime.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hello Duke,
    Thank you for your response, I am aware of another text "Asayama Ichiden Ryu Taijutsu", authored by Iwaki Hideo. However, this book appears to be out of print and scanned copies are being offered for silly money. I am not attempting to learn this art by book, DVD etc, as previously stated. I just have a strong interest in Jujutsu and as such,
    collect media etc and like to train.
    Kind Regards
    Sean Halpin

Likes (received)

Hi Sean,

I actually have a copy of the book in question (but have been desperately searching for a copy of his three-part book on Tenshin Koryu.... from what I can see it was never translated into English). It's an incredibly well done piece, divided up into the following sections:

- Background info and the 33 Ways Of Deliverance.
    - Tehodoki Shoden (a series of grip breaks)
    - Tehodoki Okuden (a series of applying limb controls and locks from grabs)
    - Jodan No Kurai (many of the basic applications of the school)
    - Chudan No Kurai (a slightly harder application, including some more takedown techniques)
    - Gedan No Kurai (a greater focus here on escapes from rear grabs)
    - Okuden No Kurai (much more advanced techniques, all invovling a throw to finish)
    - Idori No Kurai (Asayama Ichiden's seated waza, many similar to previous level techniques)
    - Shio No Kurai (takes the idea on non-resistance in its techniques)
    - Shotodori No Kurai (defences against short sword and knife attacks)
    - Tachidori No Kurai (defences against long sword, including a few from seiza).

From what I have seen, most lists for Asayama Ichiden Ryu seem to be the Jodan No Kurai, Chudan No Kurai, Gedan No Kurai, Okuden No Kurai, and Idori No Kurai, so this goes a bit further. Unfortunately, the pictures and the written descriptions have a number of discrepancies between them (deliberately, I feel), so getting to the real kata is not an easy thing to do. There are certain steps not described, but shown in the diagrams, and sometimes the wrong hand is mentioned, at other times whole steps appear left out.... quite a headache!

That said, it is from the Yokohama-den branch of Asayama Ichiden Ryu Taijutsu, which I believe is the same branch that is taught in the Genbukan, and by Sato Sensei (and obviously by extension Kai Sensei), so it is probably very similar at the very least.

As a slight aside, a number of years ago a few Bujinkan seniors were purporting to be teaching Gikan Ryu, giving it the structure listed above (Jodan No Kurai through to Idori No Kurai), but they were just teaching aspects of Asayama Ichiden Ryu that they had been shown by Hatsumi I believe. He had recieved Menkyo Kaiden in the system from Ueno Takashi Sensei before being given Hamon when he started studying under Takamatsu.
    -
    With Respect,
    Chris Parker.

兵法二天一流剣術 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    天真正伝香取神道流兵法 Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    熟練道場武道兵法 Jukuren Dojo Budo Heiho (www.budomelbourne.com)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast