Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fudoshin

damienmason Guest

Default Fudoshin

Does anyone have any techniques for achieving fudoshin?

Thanks

Likes (received)

Sorry, that was me. I was having some problems logging on, but it's fixed now.
    Damien Mason

Likes (received)

Train hard for many years. That's the one that seems to work for most people.
    Roberto Valenzuela
    Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu (尾張貫流槍術)
    Shinkage-ryu heiho (新陰流兵法)

"Be intelligent, but do not be artificially intelligent." --Kung Fu Proverb

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Likes (received)

Train at what?
    Damien Mason

Likes (received)

Damien, read "The Unfettered Mind." It contains writings by Takuan Soho on how to practice fudoshin ("immovable"/imperturbable mind) while doing martial arts.

Likes (received)

Thankyou. It's already on my must-read list, so i'll bump it up to the top.
    Damien Mason

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Mason
    Thankyou. It's already on my must-read list, so i'll bump it up to the top.
    Actually, I think you'll find Flow in Sports by Susan A. Jackson, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi more down to earth. Takuan is the classic, but Jackson and Csi, etc. are more useful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088...books&v=glance
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Damien,

Try taking up rock climbing, particularly "trad climbing" and perhaps mountaineering. The level of danger and the need to relax your hold on the old anxiety has been particularly valuable in my experience. It is a roundabout way to learning to embody fudoshin martially but there is not so much risk in martial arts unless you go in for NHB stuff. I regard these practices as a kind of training which seeks to address the relatively peaceful practice and low level of danger for the "martialist' in this day and edge. Military and law enforcement professionals are obviously an exception.

Don't blame me if uyou are maimed or something though. I watched my friend and climbing mentor fall from a cliff and break his back last year.

Regards,
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

I'm looking for practical means to achieve fudoshin. Mountain climbing is not practical for me.
    Damien Mason

Likes (received)

I'm looking for practical means to achieve fudoshin. Mountain climbing is not practical for me.
    Many of the most eminently practical methods don't even reference "fudoshin" as an explicit goal.

Sit. Breath. Observe what happens without grasping or chasing any perception or reaction to perception.

Like weightlifting, once you start adding additional stress to the situation, it's good to have a coach and/or spotter who is further along in the practice than you are.

mech Guest

Default Fudoshin

The action or the thechnique are almost unimportant!!, because we are referring here something that belongs to the state of mind itself-...

To the concept of how we use the mind belongs the success or fail. Because mind cant know the unknown grabing the known as an company...

This is...Just a mind wich is not linked to the past, waiting something to happen, and not tryng to get into something would achieve FUDOSHIN

MECH
    CARACAS, VENEZUELA
    Cholombo2002@yahoo.com (Chess)

Likes (received)

I believe there is a practical method to achieve an immovable mind. I don't think Fudoshin is something you just stumble upon suddenly after years of martial training.

Perhaps it is, but only an accomplished martial artist can tell me that. Everything else is hearsay.
    Damien Mason

mech Guest

Stumble... jajajajja No, because Fudoshin had nothing to do with many thousands of repetitions, it just comes when you meet certain mind/body condition.

MECH
    Caracas

Likes (received)

I believe there is a practical method to achieve an immovable mind. I don't think Fudoshin is something you just stumble upon suddenly after years of martial training.

Perhaps it is, but only an accomplished martial artist can tell me that. Everything else is hearsay.
    Well how are you going to tell who is an "accomplished martial artist" on an internet forum?

E-budo.com is best utilised as a form of entertainment and distraction. Occasionally it can serve some social good by alerting people to fraudulent practitioners.

What it is not, is an online dojo. You cannot have a "virtual dojo" that produces real results, any more than you can have virtual sex that leads to a pregnancy.

So unfortunately the best answer to so many earnest newbie questions is, "ask your sensei", or "go find a sensei". Not because where into a cult of personality, but because the better part of 1000 years of tradition shows that the only way to learn MA is via "direct transmission outside the scriptures." IOW, you just gotta do it for yourself.

b

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ichibyoshi
    Well how are you going to tell who is an "accomplished martial artist" on an internet forum?

E-budo.com is best utilised as a form of entertainment and distraction. Occasionally it can serve some social good by alerting people to fraudulent practitioners.

What it is not, is an online dojo. You cannot have a "virtual dojo" that produces real results, any more than you can have virtual sex that leads to a pregnancy.

So unfortunately the best answer to so many earnest newbie questions is, "ask your sensei", or "go find a sensei". Not because where into a cult of personality, but because the better part of 1000 years of tradition shows that the only way to learn MA is via "direct transmission outside the scriptures." IOW, you just gotta do it for yourself.

b
    You make a good point.

I was trying to indicate that I wasn't interested in people pretending knowledge by spouting a lot of mystical guff. The reason I mentioned something practical is that I think if something it rooted in practicality, you can tell through your own experience if it is effective.

There is a wide range of experienced people on this forum. It's better to ask a question and get no response than not to ask it in the first place.
    Damien Mason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast