Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shingitai jujitsu

Likes (received)

Default Shingitai jujitsu

Hi, I am currently a student of danzan ryu, but due to some issues at my dojo (like nobody, including professor, showing up to practice) I am in search of a new school. (Anyone know of a good jujitsu school near Mechanicsburg PA?)
    I reciently found West Shore Jujitsu but have never heard of shingitai jujitsu. Any information/advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Jason Glessner

Likes (received)

Shingitai was developed by a successful judoka and wrestler named John Saylor. If the dojo you're referencing is actively affiliated with Saylor, I suspect you will find an athletic form of self defense with very strong grappling at its base. That could be a very enjoyable training environment if that's what you're looking for.

If you haven't already, look here http://johnsaylor-sja.com/
    Rob Canestrari

Likes (received)

This may not be quite what you're looking for, but if I was in your area I'd train at the Itten dojo and Bob Wolfe. The aikido program there is run under the tutelage of Ellis Amdur (Araki ryu), and they also have programs for koryu taught by Meik and Diane Skoss. Their web page is here: http://www.ittendojo.org/ Having trained there several times, I have no doubt that is where I'd train if I lived in the area.

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

I actually have already attended a practice at itten dojo reciently. While the instructors seem top notch, I get the feeling that practice may be a little softer than I am accustomed to. Aikido is definately something I will study, but more than likely down the road.

Thank you both for your information and replies.
    Jason Glessner

Likes (received)

Talking

Ask John Buntz if you want to go a little harder...or Buddy Yuhazz...

Either one will give you a good time. And probably a run for your money as well...

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

Jason, I teach the Wednesday night classes at Itten, and during our open mats we work out fairly hard. For what it is worth, at the beginning, practice is going to be soft, but as you get more comfortable with us and we with you, things can get more interesting.

We have even been known to occasionaly engage in some grappling and ground-work during open mats.

Hope to see you in class soon.

Ron, how's it going? We going to be seeing you any time soon? Hope you are well. Have a safe holiday season!
    Last edited by John A Butz; 9th December 2005 at 22:44.
    John A Butz

Likes (received)

Hi Jason,

I was the stocky guy that Mr. Wolfe was throwing up and down the mat a good portion of class. Good luck in your search to find a place to train.

Ron,

I echo John's sentiments for 1) Seeing you soon at Itten & 2) Hoping you have an excellent and safe holiday season.

Best/Budd
    -- Budd Yuhasz

Likes (received)

Ron, I'm sure either of them would. Let me clarify by telling you that I did not participate in practice, only observed, and that I have only been studying martial arts for a few months.

John, Hi, I don't believe we have met. After my first taste of aikido I told Mr. Wolf that I would be returning to take in another class, and more than likely that will be this Wednesday. I was actually under the impression that ground work was not a part of aikido, and I am excited to learn that I was incorrect. I look forward to speaking with you.

Budd, I believe we may have spoken breifly as you left, but I don't remember any actual throws during that class.

Thank you all for your replies.
    My name is actually Gary, but I am using my brother's computer. As soon as I figure how to correct the name I will.
    Jason Glessner

Likes (received)

Gary, just to be clear, the ground-work is not a part of our curiculum, but is rather a supplemental training that Budd, myself, and a few others engage in on occasion.

We have not yet met, since I was unable to attend class this week, but I look forward to meeting and training with you on Wednesday.
    John A Butz

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manual
    Hi, I am currently a student of danzan ryu, but due to some issues at my dojo (like nobody, including professor, showing up to practice) I am in search of a new school. (Anyone know of a good jujitsu school near Mechanicsburg PA?)
    I reciently found West Shore Jujitsu but have never heard of shingitai jujitsu. Any information/advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Have you checked out Tom Joerg's gym?

Who is your Danzan ryu professor?
    Toby Rill

Likes (received)

No, I have not.
    Professor Kiehl
    Jason Glessner

Likes (received)

Toby Rill

Likes (received)

Jason,

Thanks for stopping by the other night.

I don't know anything about the West Shore group, but there is a judo group in Carlisle doing judo with an older, non-sport approach that may be much closer to what you're looking for.

I'm making an assumption here, that by "too soft" you're referring to the absence of throws like seoinage or taiotoshi that end with a pretty good slam to the mat. Our curriculum has a few techniques that involve a big breakfall from altitude, but in most other cases the techniques aren't really throws at all: they're techniques applied to the joints and the ukemi is a counter rather than a consequence.

To be sure, we don't do much "ground work" in our aikido. One of my favorite "Amdur-isms" from my teacher is, "If sh*t were phosphorus, the third world would glow." Amdur sensei goes on to say that Japan a couple hundred years ago was similar, in that there was a lot of "stuff" in the streets you just didn't want to roll around in. Consequently, ground work is a relatively recent development (albeit certainly of value in the modern world, so we do some).

If you want, feel free to bring your keikogi and work out with John and Budd on Wednesday, rather than just watch. You can also get the contact information for the old-style judo group in Carlisle if you check the "For the Participant" page of the sports section in the Sunday Patriot-News.

-- Bob Wolfe

Likes (received)

Actually, I had already planned on attending Mr. Burgett's judo class this thursday. It's funny that you mentioned that.
    Your assumtions were pretty much on the money.
    Thank you all for your help.
    John, and Budd,
    see you on wednesday./
    Jason Glessner

Likes (received)

Great, Gary. We'll see you Wednesday.
    -- Budd Yuhasz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast