Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does Gotente, Suide or Uchinade still exist?

Likes (received)

Default Matsumura Seito

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hart
    Hohan Soken said in an interview that the Karate he taught was not the Karate of Bushi Matsumura. Also, with the three Naihanchi and the Pinan it would lead me to believe that it was a form of Itosu based Karate, not the Gotente of Matsumura Sokon. I have a copy of this interview recorded and he does say this. I always wondered why Matsumura Seito didn't look more like Motobu Ryu Udundi. Any explanation of this?
    Interesting comment as Hohan Soken told me (numerous times during the eight years that I trained with him) that his karate came directly from Bushi Matsumura via Nabe Matsumura. When it comes to how his students interpreted and now pass on his karate, well that is an entirely different story.

Edward Gingras
    Edward Gingras
    Matsumura Seito

Likes (received)

Yuichi kuda Shinshii had said the same to me about this. He was not sure of the Pinan or the Naihanchi 2 and 3 in the system, at least as much as I could communicate it. Mr. Gringas, could you expand into a discussion on this. Where these Kata found their way into Matsumura Seito and maybe why it does not look more like Motobu Udundi since the lineage should have that in common. Of course, I agree with you on the point about what was taught and what is being taught by his students. Thank you for your time.
    The People formerly known as Paul Hart

Likes (received)

Is Chinto kata in common? Just curious. I have seen several versions of Chinto but the Chinto kata I learned from Matsumera Seito based lines are pretty much dead ringers for Shotokan's Gankaku kata in terms of embusen and general techniques.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Moderator hat on.

Brian -- Any more posts like your second and third postings in this thread, and E-budo Hell will be your next stop. Opinions are fine, but rudeness is not necessary.

Moderator hat off.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hart
    Ah there is another Brian Cyr then. I was hoping. Thought you were this guy.http://www.mvmedia.com/nama/index.ph...=page&SubMenu=

Brampton Academy of Martial Arts (AMA)
    Style: Japanese
    Sensei: Brian Cyr
    160 Main Street South (in Plaza)
    Brampton, Ontario
    (905) 450-9925
    Internet: ghocanin@istar.ca (Goksan Hocanin)

But since you have enlightened me that you a one of Lindseys worshipers that explains it. I will not argue with you, period. If you want to prove something to me come meet me and prove it. I will not tell you you dont know anything as I have never met you. I will also not cut down others. I remember saying I got a copy of the actual voice recording of the interview so please, go somewhere else and do your Lindsey Karate. I dont know you and with you attitude I think that you need lots of work. This is over with as far as I am concerned. Good day.
    This is on Paul Hart's webpage I find it a little interesting.
    http://allshorin.org/id4.html
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Yes, Ron Lindsey joined my group. The people who have trained with him and who decide to place him at a level above everyone else does not influence him (i.e. Mr. Cyr). He is a very knowledgable and good guy who knows a great deal about Karate of the Matsumura Seito Lineage. We have a lot of people who join us because we are a group of Shorin guys who believe that communication between all Shorin can be beneficial to all Shorin styles. The group is open to all who train or have interest in Matsumura Lineage Karate. We are non political and we do not issue rank, only accept after verification the rank you currently hold. If you train under a member of our group you may be ranked in our way with no belts or ranked by the Dan system. It is between you and the teacher. We do not dictate how the Instructor teaches, only try to help everyone spread knowledge.

Mr. Lindsey joined our group early 2006, BTW. I do not do Mr. Lindsey's style of Karate, I do Matsumura Shorin Ryu not Matsumura Seito. On the same web site you can go to the Kata page and find the differences in the many styles of Shorin Ryu.
    Last edited by Paul Hart; 16th October 2006 at 02:10.
    The People formerly known as Paul Hart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2