Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newest Book;: Shinkage-Ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

Default Newest Book;: Shinkage-Ryu Iaido

The first book that Oyama Masao sensei of my teacher wrote was released today, 10th December.
    http://item.rakuten.co.jp/book/3702803/
    I hope that many sword people read this book.

IAIDO Shinkage-Ryu, Photo Technical Book with DVD
    (Mind and body to strengthen with a Japanese sword)
    Published on 10th December, 2005
    By Oyama Masao Sensei.

Written in only Japanese. Published by TAIIKU & SPORTS. 192 pages. Comes with a full color DVD in which the author plays 17 tachi-wazas(standing forms), 20 suwari-wazas(sitting forms), and basic movements for students. You can study all basic and applied wazas visually from both book and DVD even though you don't understand the Japanese language.

A special essay of Sonny Chiba, the movie star who is a friend of Oyama sensei appears in the first 7 pages. Sonny Chiba is known as the only man who can completely play Yagyu Jubei.

A Special Essay by J.J. Sonny Chiba
    Chapter 1 What is IAIDO?
    Chapter 2 Advantages of lessons of IAIDO
    Chapter 3 Manners to have a Japanese sword
    Chapter 4 History of Shinkage-Ryu Iaido
    Chapter 5 Commentary of practical skills
    Chapter 6 Application of Shinkage-Ryu Iaido to jujutsu and aikijujutu
    Mai Shikata

If you want to strike your opponent, you should let him strike at you.
    If your opponent strikes at you, he himself will already have been struck.
    -- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

Is Shinkage-ryu Iaido a reference to Yagyu Seigo Ryu, the older batto techniques of Hikita Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, or something completely different?
    Roberto Valenzuela
    Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu (尾張貫流槍術)
    Shinkage-ryu heiho (新陰流兵法)

"Be intelligent, but do not be artificially intelligent." --Kung Fu Proverb

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Likes (received)

Smile

Sounds great. I have read the Life giving sword about the Shinkage-ryu it was great. I look foward to this book as well. Will it be translated to english?
    Lou Roberto
    -----------------------------
    Those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle and are not brought there by him.

Finny Guest

Roberto - I could well be wrong, but I think I remember reading that this is a line of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu that placed such emphasis on the Yagyu Seigo Ryu iai section of it's curriculum that sometime early in the 20th Century they began calling their line Yagyu Shinkage Ryu iaido. So it's basically Seigo Ryu.

Likes (received)

Question

Yagyu Munenori was the founder of the Shinkage-Ryu according to this book. It did not mention anything about Seigo Ryu though.
    Lou Roberto
    -----------------------------
    Those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle and are not brought there by him.

Likes (received)

Default Hi Roberto,

Shinkage-Ryu Iai was passed on to Kashima Kiyotaka by Yagyu Toshinaga in 1930s.

Oyama Masao seisei received “inga 印可”, the permission to teach what he had learned and passed it on to his students under the name of Shinkage-Ryu Iaido by Kashima’s master pupil. In addition, Oyama sensei trained also at the Yagyu school in Owari, and received ingas of kenjutu(heiho) and Yagyu Seigo-Ryu batto jutsu from Yagyu Nobuharu sensei.

Strictly, Shinkage-Ryu Iaido is different from Yagyu Seigo-Ryu batto jutsu that the Yagyu Nobuharu sensei teaches today. Someone says that Yagyu Seigo-Ryu and Shinkage-Ryu Iaido are the same, but this is not accurate. Shinkage-Ryu Iaido contains not only Yagyu Seigo-Ryu but also katas from other Ryuha. It is known that the variety of iai ryuha existed in Yagyu family in Edo period, such as Shinkage-Ryu Batto Seiho(by Kamiizumi Magoshiro), Yagyu Shinto-Ryu(by Yagyu Muneyoshi), Seigo-Ryu Batto jutsu(by Nagaoka Husanari), Sekiguchi-Ryu iai, Rikishin-Ryu iai, and so on. All of these styles were passed on by the Yagyu family. Yagyu Toshinaga reconsidered these batto jutu, and initiated inga of the name "Shinkageryu Batto Mokuroku 新陰流抜刀目録” into his master pupil Kashima Kiyotaka. Moreover, Yagyu Toshinaga participated in the establishment of the Zen Nippon Iaido Association, and was registered with Shinkage-Ryu as iaido ryuha after WW II.

Besides, there is a difference in noto (osame to - returning the sword to its scabbard) with Shinkage-Ryu Iaido and Seigo-Ryu batto Jutsu. And we use the word ”tachiai” as opposite to “iai”, and it means kenjutu. But in Seigo-Ryu, “tachiai” means the standing forms, “tachiwaza”.

Regards,
    Mai Shikata

-- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

Default Hello Lou,

On 66page of this Book describes “Shinakge-Ryu was established by Kamiizumi Isenokami Hidetsuna(1508-1577)”. Yagyu Munenori is the man who established Edo Yagyu.

Unfortunately, the plan to publish the English translation version of this book has not materialized, though the plan exists.

The attached DVD is region-free, and you can learn Shinakge-Ryu Iaido with DVD only.

Cover http://choco2.jp/gazoB1.php?id=oyama...okoku=0&page=1
    Essay by Sonny Chiba
    http://choco2.jp/gazoB1.php?id=oyama...okoku=0&page=2
    What is IAIDO?
    http://choco2.jp/gazoB1.php?id=oyama...okoku=0&page=3
    Explanation of demonstration in DVD
    http://choco2.jp/gazoB1.php?id=oyama...okoku=0&page=4
    Photo of DVD
    http://choco2.jp/gazoB1.php?id=oyama...okoku=0&page=5

Regards,
    Mai Shikata

-- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

Question Related lines of transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by Karasu Maru
    Shinkage-Ryu Iai was passed on to Kashima Kiyotaka by Yagyu Toshinaga in 1930s.

Strictly, Shinkage-Ryu Iaido is different from Yagyu Seigo-Ryu batto jutsu that the Yagyu Nobuharu sensei teaches today. Someone says that Yagyu Seigo-Ryu and Shinkage-Ryu Iaido are the same, but this is not accurate. Shinkage-Ryu Iaido contains not only Yagyu Seigo-Ryu but also katas from other Ryuha. It is known that the variety of iai ryuha existed in Yagyu family in Edo period, such as Shinkage-Ryu Batto Seiho(by Kamiizumi Magoshiro), Yagyu Shinto-Ryu(by Yagyu Muneyoshi), Seigo-Ryu Batto jutsu(by Nagaoka Husanari), Sekiguchi-Ryu iai, Rikishin-Ryu iai, and so on. All of these styles were passed on by the Yagyu family. Yagyu Toshinaga reconsidered these batto jutu, and initiated inga of the name "Shinkageryu Batto Mokuroku 新陰流抜刀目録” into his master pupil Kashima Kiyotaka. Moreover, Yagyu Toshinaga participated in the establishment of the Zen Nippon Iaido Association, and was registered with Shinkage-Ryu as iaido ryuha after WW II.

There is a line of Shinkage Ryu Iai that is practiced in Europe: http://www.yushinkan.com/old/UK/pages/ukshinka.html

Akita Moriji Sensei learned from Kashima Kiyotaka Sensei. A student of Akita-s., William de Lange, has published a book in English on Shinkage Ryu Iai with Akita-s. called "Iaido : History, Teaching & Practice Of Japanese Swordsmanship" in 2002 (ISBN: 0834805006).

The Japanese instructor Matsuoka Yoshitaka Sensei (hachidan kyoshi iai, nanadan kyoshi kendo), a student of Akita-s., is the main instructor of the Europeans.

I had the good fortune to be able to train with Matsuoka-s. in a rare US appearance in Nov. 2003. Unfortunately, poor finances have not allowed me to continue to train with him when he is in Europe.

It would be interesting to see what the lineage tree looks like here - there is very limited information available.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

So if I'm reading this correctly, Shinkage-ryu iai is an offshoot of the Edo branch?
    Roberto Valenzuela

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by R A Sosnowski
    It would be interesting to see what the lineage tree looks like here - there is very limited information available.
    Earlier this year I began working on a lineage chart but sadly the task became too great for me at the time. So many different branches an offshoots I became discouraged. But here is a thread of what I had come up with:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=Yagyu

Hopefully I can work on it some more in the future.

Regards,
    - Alex Dale

Likes (received)

Default Hi Roberto,

Shinkage-Ryu Iai was enacted by Yagyu Toshinaga sensei, Owari Yagyu 12th soke.
    It is not related to Edo Yagyu.

For example, there is a record that Toshinaga sensei demonstrated Shinkage-Ryu Iai in the military arts rally of the third army division in Nagoya in 1931.

Afterwards, Yagyu Nobuharu sensei succeeded to Owari Yagyu 13th Soke, and many master pupils of Toshinaga sensei left Owari Yagyu family. Kashima Kiyotaka sensei was one of the pupils who left Owari Yagyu, too. Shinkage-Ryu Iai was passed on to Kashima sensei, and not handed down to Nobuharu sensei. Therefore, Shinkage-Ryu Iai has not been succeeded to current Owari Yagyu (Yagyu-kai). Parties concerned of Yagyu-kai disregard Shinkage-Ryu Iai to my regret.

When 13th soke was succeeded to Nobuharu sensei, Watanabe sensei remained in Owari Yagyu. Afterwards, Watanabe sensei also parted from Nobuharu sensei. The organization that Watanabe sensei established is Marobashi-kai, and this is the biggest organization of Shinkage-Ryu now. Marobashi-kai has eight dojos only in Tokyo. Of course, Shinkage-Ryu Iai is not handed down to Marobashi-kai, too.

Kendo became active in Japan after the end of samurai days, and kobudo with only kata practice was not popular. In the early 19th century, Yagyu Shinakge-Ryu also was forgotten by people, and faced the crisis that died out. It is said that Toshinaga sensei paid attention to iai that was popular at that time, and he developed Shinkage-Ryu Iai to recover the popularity of Shinkage-Ryu.

Regards,
    Mai Shikata

-- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

Absolutely fascinating. I would love to see it demonstrated at embu sometime. Thanks for the historical info!
    Roberto Valenzuela

Likes (received)

Default Hello Roberto,

Perhaps you have an opportunity watching enbu in Nagoya, Mecca of shinkage-Ryu if you live in Gifu.
    Because there are some dojos which can learn Shinkage-Ryu iai in Aichi.

Kasugai Shinkage-kai (Matsuoka Yoahsitaka sensei’s dojo)
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/makino/satoshi/

Shinakge-Ryu Iwakura-kai
    http://shinkageiwakura.blog25.fc2.com/

In addition, there is Shido-kan dojo which Mori Juro sensei established in Gifu where you live in.
    http://gifu.ss-info.com/yagyu/
    Among pupils of Kashima Kiyotaka sensei, Mori sensei and Akita Moriji sensei are particularly famous pupils.
    Mori sensei is the all Japan champion in the third Zen Nippon Iaido championship.
    I have watched many enbus of a lot of ryuha (Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, Muso Shinden Ryu, Tamiya Ryu, etc.) so far.
    However, his enbu is best one.

You can watch his enbu in his book of Shinkage-Ryu Iaido with DVD.
    http://shidoukaniai.fc2web.com/
    His sword is Muramasa known as a ghost sword in the Edo era.

Regards,
    Mai Shikata

-- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

I am almost positive that the person pictured on the front page of the Gifu-based webpage (identified as 毛利潔) is a fairly regular student at the Owari Kan-ryu dojo with Kato Isao-sensei. I have not seen his iai, but his fukurojinai skills are okay (though not as brilliant as some of the other senior dojo members). I was not aware that he practiced Shinkage-ryu iai. That's what I get for having really bad Japanese skills.
    Roberto Valenzuela

Likes (received)

Default Mouri and Mori

Mr. Mouri is a pupil of Mori Juro sensei.
    I have never seen Mr. Mouri's enbu.
    Mori sensei is one and only iai man in Iaido history.

Thank you for your info.

Regards,
    Mai Shikata

-- Yagyu Munenori

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast