Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is training a huge Con

Likes (received)

Default Is training a huge Con

Hi all Long time lurker and one of the 1st times I have posted here

I Have been pondering this question all morning

Is training in the Martial arts a huge con?

Now before everone beats me senseless for this question what I mean by this is is there a truth to training is there some sort of wisdom to be gained by all our struggle and effort, or is it just simply about the training?

Also I would like to know who believes that there is more to training that the training itself?
    mushin no shin

Cam Wheeler

Likes (received)

it's either that or be 'normal' - you do the math.....
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

It completely depends upon what you call "training itself".

At least to me "training itself" encompasses an awful lot:
    1) Physical conditioning
    2) Mental conditioning (developing focus, self control, etc,)
    3) Submission of my ego
    4) Studying in an academic fashion the training materials (cereberal conditioning)
    5) Practicing and developing patience and understanding of myself and others
    6) Developing my awerness on myself and others (Both mentally and physically)
    7) Developing my awareness of my environment
    8) Challenging myself to do things I didn't think I had in me (Both physically and mentally)
    9) Learning another language (or atleast parts of one)
    10) Stress relief from daily life

The trick is learning to use all this to improve myself in how I think, behave and react in my life. I think that is the path to wisdom. Not everyone can do it, and I'm not sure I'm doing it myself, but if you never try, you'll never know!

That's what I got off the top of my head.

Ev
    Evan London
    Dojo-cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo
    Orange, CT
    www.Jinenkan-Inazuma.com

Likes (received)

[Devil's advocate]Yes. Yes it is [/Devil's advocate]

Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

oh bugger.
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

I thing I have found out that people as big and strong as me can't fight at all. I could easily kick their !!!, so its worth something.

Just remeber when training put all you effort and concentration into it and you will be well rewarded.
    John Bellamy
    sho-dan Shito-ryu itosu-kai

Likes (received)

My aikido sensei was cycles one day and had a small accident that sent him head-over-handlebars. There was a rather steep incline off the side of the road, and he could have been severely injured. A friend of mine who regularly participates in large cycling events told me that in cases like this the person often strikes the ground chest-first and breaks both collarbones. The fall happens too fast for most people to react in any way that might help them. However, my sensei had years of aikido conditioning and, even though it happened too quickly for him to consciously react, he performed a forward roll and came out of the fall with only a few bruises.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about training being a con, but here's one case where training has helped someone.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Is training a huge Con
    Most definitely. You should stop training immediately and go watch TV or play video games instead.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Default scooter accident

One of the shihans at the Japanese dojo where I used to train was driving a little scooter one day and wound up in a collision with a car. I'm not sure about the speeds and all or the angle of the collision. I think the aikido man was coming off a bridge and turning and somehow a car failed to yield the right of way, or didn't see him.

Now, I tell some serious stories on these boards, but I also josh around a lot, especially on these more casual threads. I'm usually confident that people will be able to tell when I'm being serious and factual and when I am being facaetious. In this story, though, I'm afraid people will think this is just a tall tale.

But this shihan says when the car hit his scooter, he not only went over the handlebars, but over the car itself. That had nothing to do with training. It would have happened the same for anyone who had been hit like that. Pure physics. Where the training comes in is that the sensei flipped in the air and landed on his feet behind the car!

He went to the front of the car to see about his bike and the driver was hysterical. He hadn't seen the guy go over his roof and he thought he had run over him. He was looking under the car, trying to find the body when the aikido man got there. Several of the shihans at the dojo seriously endorsed the story. The man himself said he didn't intend to do it. It just happened in the emergency. He told the story as an example of the by-product of serious training.

As to whether there's anything to the training other than training, itself, I guess you'd have to say it depends on you and on your teacher.

If he made up his style, maybe there is nothing more to it.

However, if you participate in a very old kind of real training and the teacher understands it deeply, there will be much more to the training than just moving your body with mental concentration.

For me, martial arts has meant physical improvement and the confidence of having survived some severe challenges, but it has also included learning languages, traveling, experiencing many kinds of food and arts and knowing for certain what the vast majority of people only talk about and then only at third or fourth hand.

Most of all, then, it depends on what you put into it.

Best wishes.
    David Orange, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
    Lao Tzu

????? Guest

Default ?

Just Traine!!! if you did take a style common sense will tell you. You must train to better yourself in the art to be perfect to enjoy your intrest. If not your wasting time and money and knowledge. when you train just train.

Likes (received)

Its a good question to ask !

You should always question and put thought into everything you do in life, don't be a sheep.

For me, I know why I train. Exercise and enjoyment are the main reasons.

Anything else is a useful byproduct (especially taking from Ev's list) that add to my MA training (and in turn life).

One thing that I feel from this forum in particular that a big reason for a lot of people take up Japanese MA (especially Koryu) is also to learn more about the culture behind ones chosen MA, in my case has spurred an interest/hobby in Japanese Culture and History, even though my style of Ju Jutsu has no tradition or history (its a modern made up from various styles MA).
    Nick Rhodes

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Hi there ?????- whats your name??
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Armstrong
    Hi there ?????- whats your name??
    According to his profile: "Reizan Isao Arai"
    Nick Rhodes

????? Guest

Question ?

Well because of the rule to list my name I must. Just call me Rei nice to meet you.

????? Guest

Default Training?

How do you traine MonkeyCam, how do you really look at it ?.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast