Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dojo in Victoria BC

Likes (received)

Default Naginata-jutsu or yari-jutsu in victoria bc?

I know this isent sword related but I couldent find a naginata thread, Does anyone know of any naginata or yari jutsu or do. In victoria bc?
    -Ryan Stroud

"Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will"

Likes (received)

Default This isn't helpful, but

Yari takes on the So(o) pronounciation of the kanji when coupled w/jutsu, so it would be Sojutsu.

Be well,
    Jigme

Oh, you may want to contact these folks. While the site doesn't seem to cover Canada, someone is bound to know of something up that way. HTH.
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

I've lived and trained here in Victoria since 1970 and I don't know of any classes.

That said, I've (maybe) heard that Nanyen down at Kata Trading on Herald street has studied Naginata. Ask but please don't quote me...they are very helpful.

I'm more involved with Okinawan weapons myself, and am, I believe, the only person in this area to teach to the black belt in ordinary Kobudo, without taking the associated empty hand style.
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin_21
    I know this isent sword related but I couldent find a naginata thread, Does anyone know of any naginata or yari jutsu or do. In victoria bc?
    I'm afraid I don't know of anyone teaching naginata in Victoria. You could try contacting the Dokokai in Vancouver, they may be able to help you.

Alternatively, here's a link to the Canadian Naginata Federation: CNF

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I think that for the time being you will not find naginata or sojutsu around Victoria. I could be wrong but I have never heard mention of Nan-Yien practicing naginata all though I have been wrong before. Once or twice.

Gung hay fat choy.

Al
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    You could try contacting the Dokokai in Vancouver, they may be able to help you.

Alternatively, here's a link to the Canadian Naginata Federation: CNF
    You beat me to it. The Canadian Naginata Federation, from what I've seen at seminars they've attended in the US, seems to have a small but growing group of devoted people. I know that the US Naginata Federation has been supporting them.

It might be a bit far, but Kurt Schmucker is in charge of the 'Cascade Kai Naginata Club' in Mercer Island, Washington. I see it is about a 12 hour drive from Victoria (according to Google Maps). You can find his information here: http://naginata.org/ncnf/dojos.html. He can probably give you info on seminars they are having, and might even be able to make it up your way occassionally. He really knows his stuff, and I'd trust him as a good person to learn from.

Kurt Schmucker and his wife are very involved in the USNF for atarashii naginata, and I believe they study Tendo Ryu under Tanaka sensei, down in California.

-Joshua B.
    Joshua Badgley
    Member of the Capital Area Budokai
    http://cabudokai.org

これやこの行くも帰るもわかれつつ
    知るも知らぬも逢坂の関