Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Training In Okinawa

Likes (received)

Default Training In Okinawa

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could give me any information about how to persue the possibility of training karate in Okinawa. I have a deep respect for this fascinating martial art and would one day love to experience karate at it's roots. The problem is that I am unsure about how to make the first steps and I have very little information about who I could contact to make this dream a possible reality for me in the future.

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris (currently living in England).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by musashi-uk
    Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could give me any information about how to persue the possibility of training karate in Okinawa. I have a deep respect for this fascinating martial art and would one day love to experience karate at it's roots. The problem is that I am unsure about how to make the first steps and I have very little information about who I could contact to make this dream a possible reality for me in the future.

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris (currently living in England).

Are you training in Okinawan karate now? if so then your sensei should set up a meeting.

If you go there and just show up you may or may not get in. If someone refers you to them then you are usually in as long as you behave and dont insult them.

Do you have anyone to refer you?

Mike O'Leary
    Old Dragon

Likes (received)

Who or what style do you want to train in/with? I know some teachers and can give you some contact information if you like. If you'd like to pm me please feel free.

Most teachers here aren't too found of you just showing up at their door with a keikogi and a smile. You have to get an introduction or introduce yourself through a letter. The problem is person who introduces you is some what responsible for your behaviour. So these are hard to give to strangers. That is why the pervious poster implied that is easier to go through your sensei's connections rather than start you own.

The problem with the letter route is that you are still basically a stranger to them and have to build a relationship from scratch. If you do write a letter you should include an option for them to say no in their round about way. Something like "if you are not busy at this time I would like to train with you" then instead of saying 'no' they would just say that they are busy then. A direct 'no' is considered rude so they prefer an excuse to why they can't do something.

Hope this helps.

James East

Likes (received)

Thanks for your speedy responses!

Unfortunately, the area where I live lacks an abundance of Okinawan associations. My physical training up to now has been solely comprised of Japanese karate (wado ryu). I have enjoyed and still enjoy this very much, but my love of karate has led me to research into the traditional styles/origins and has given me a strong drive to study the more original forms in their place of development. Because of my background I am assuming that Shuri-te would be more suitable for me to study? I will of course talk to my sensei about this, however if anyone has any information concerning good dojo's or masters in Okinawa, useful websites, resources etc - it would be much appreciated. Again, I'm assumimng that Okinawa is like any other country i.e having both good and not so good schools.

Any information you can give would be received with gratitude,

Chris.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bakaboy
    Most teachers here aren't too found of you just showing up at their door with a keikogi and a smile. You have to get an introduction or introduce yourself through a letter.
    I heard that you need an introduction rather on the mainland. On Okinawa it should be not that strickt. Have you ever been there?

Likes (received)

He lives there.

And he isn't new to the neighborhood!
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Of course I am making sweeping generalizations for all Okinawan karate teachers likes and dislikes. If you do show up with a keikogi and a smile most teachers will let you train and you'll be made to feel welcome but it's just because Okinawan people are so friendly and polite (again a sweeping generalization) not because they like suprise visits. Once in their dojo they feel responsible for you and this is a burden.
    So I say that you can just show up, but it's better to give as much warning as possible IMO. Many of these teachers teach abroad and aren't always around when you show up or are there for only part of your trip.

James East