Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Essay on Budo "Elitism"

Likes (received)

Default Essay on Budo "Elitism"

I found this article online. Any people want to comment on this person's definitions?

Budo Inquisition

“Budo Inquisition”

By Dr. Ivica Zdravkovic

I tried to ignore for years the most irritating elitism of a small group of people gathered on certain Internet forums (which I deliberately will not specify at the moment). I even tried to join those forums and share some of my views, soften them a bit and try to explain them about some positive evolution of martial arts which they obviously don't see or understand. It was mostly useless. I have recently been attacked by them (again) and described as a complete budo fraud. Needles to say that in the same "package" they accused and condemned everyone who does same or similar things like me, including organizations which I deeply respect and whose member I am - or I was, directly or indirectly. I will not list these organizations, but they can be checked on links of my website.

According to these members of self-proclaimed "Budo Inquisition", all the organizations where I belong (or have belonged) are doing baffling or bad budo, are not serious enough, do not have proper understanding of what budo is, or simply serve to "frauds" like me. According to them, there is no such thing like gendai jujutsu (which disqualifies all the organizations like SBC, JJFS, JJIF, USJJF, MAIF, USMAF, AJA, AJJF, IMAF, ESJA, EBC, etc... - half of America and Europe - who are celebrating 100 years of such practice), there is no gendai kenjutsu, sport in Japanese sword arts (JSA) is the worst crime and has nothing to do with "real" (?) JSA, these things must not be taught by white people and headed by western organizations (eliminates any credibility to ISCA, ESCU, SBC, KIAI, BZIS, MAIF, etc...)

More - sport judo, karate and similar organizaations - especially those in "smaller" countries like in Serbia - do not do budo as it is supposed to be done, have little or no knowledge at all, and are basically just playing "silly games" with what is supposed to be a very serious activity (read: folklore performance of archaic traditions by physically incapable demonstrators in japanophille surroundings, with mandatory elements of nationalism, elitism and religious practice). This eliminates even organizations like JIF, WKF, ITKF, etc...

Since I really got my cup overfilled with such statements and accusations, I will make a small counterattack and produce some characteristic profiles of people who spread these nonsense:

1. Koryu God - usually a man (Caucasian) who is either living in Japan or frequently goes there. Practices some minor style which has total of 10 or 20 practitioners in whole world. Speaks officially on behalf of his Soke and style, although there are no ways of contacting his Soke (who does not speak English) through email, airmail, or any other way, except by going directly to Japan.

Often mentions some serious Japanese names of "authentic & legitimate" organizations where he belongs - or which he runs (blessed by his Soke). At the same time, no one can really check if these organizations really OFFICIALLY exist, where are they registered, who are other members, what are statute and/or bylaws, etc. They always cover behind what is once smartly described as "feudal democracy in budo organizations"! Even better, no one can check where all the money they take is going!

Koryu God usually speaks highly of his style, uses all sorts of irrelevant historical data to make it look more important and regularly neglects the fact that similar gendai arts exist for over a century. You can see his pictures in most traditional outfit with museum weapons, performing "authentic" kata in some Shinto shrines or on other appropriate stages.

There is no way to see proper translation of "secret scrolls" or other things these individuals use as proof of their superior heritage. If, by some chance someone dares to translate such documents (books, scrolls, or mokuroku - catalogue of techniques), Koryu God will persuade you it was done without proper knowledge of ancient Japanese language.

If you have 10th Dan in some similar gendai art, and you manage to perform exactly the same kata which is performed on some rare video of this Koryu God or his Soke - it will still be a "terrible performance" and you will be exposed to all sorts of insults. There is absolutely NO WAY you can escape being called "fraud" or "copycat" - even if you had never claimed to do any koryu at all. You MUST be guilty: you may have learned some techniques in local kendo, judo, aikido or chanbara club - never mind! - since it all resembles the "heavenly-inspired style" of this Koryu God (and his Soke), you are guilty for "ripping off" their art and you are, by that logic - an imposter, ignorant fool who thinks is doing authentic arts of feudal samurai battlefield - while in fact you do ineffective surrogate created by other equally ignorant people.

Finally, lets mention that this inheritor and guard of "authentic warrior arts" has absolutely no physical abilities to last even a minute in any decent kendo, judo or other sparring, performs flowery kata which are in 9 out of 10 cases created after all the wars in Japan were over,

and in general has as much abilities and chances for survival on some archaic battlefield as it has an average teenager who has never trained any budo at all. (Since teenager can at least run and not get a heart attack after a few minutes of climbing up the hill, to meet some

fictional "enemy troops"...).

2. Informed Layman - does not train same nor similar arts or sports, but "reads a lot", spends hours, days and months behind his monitor, and knows what is "truth" and what is not. Usually very young (no more than 20 or 25), but already "experienced" on these forums, with several hundreds or even thousands of "smart posts". Mostly makes his posts right after the Koryu God, with following typical content: "I agree", "I was just about to tell the same", "Yeah, you're right, this guy sucks!", etc.

Informed Layman is usually completely uninformed about most of the organizations that gather gendai arts and sports, usually has never even seen any of people or organizations he is criticizing, and would not be able to differ lousy from superior techniques in a million years, unless they are "explained" by Koryu God - whose opinion he highly respects and trusts it like an ultimate dogma.

Informed Layman is also full of bitter jokes and "subtle" insults, and thus he cures himself from all sorts of frustrations, which provoked him in the first place to participate in discussions about the things which he absolutely doesn't know and are not of his concern.

Informed Layman will often quote "classical" budo scholars, to tell you some trivial definitions, which he understood most literally and holds on to them, despite the fact that most of such definitions are outdated for decades. He is easily recognized for he practically never comments your posts, he does not even read them, and will never send you a personal message or email, since he cannot communicate without support from Koryu God. When alone, he is absolutely helpless to defend any of "his" opinions and superficial claims.

3. Gendai Expert - mostly comes from judo, kendo or aikido background. Denies any legitimacy to gendai "jutsu" arts and sports. Loves to think that his budo "art" is also a form of koryu - but carefully watches not to step on any toes of Koryu God and his Soke.

Frequently even knows Koryu God personally - having trained with him in some kendo club or similar place. These people are always connected, and they mostly come from same country.

You will hardly ever find a Frenchman on their forums, or anyone from organizations like those mentioned on the beginning of this article. Such people simply don't even care.

It is obvious after only a few posts that these Budo Inquisition members make a very coherent group. They don't have anything smart to talk about - since they all "share" same opinions. That is a result of their constant hanging together on their beloved forum - where they spend more time than with their families or in their clubs. So, while they don't have anything new to say to each other (speaks enough of their "active" life in budo), they can hardly wait for some "stray cat" to walk into their trap.

Gendai Expert believes strongly there are only two organizations that are legitimate when it comes to his arts (and related arts): organization to which he belongs and some koryu group ("organization") which reanimates koryu from which his gendai has emerged. All the rest are frauds or are just playing games.

Very concerned about the "decline" of martial arts, would gladly forbid all the others to even think of budo, less to organize in associations or to have their independent grading commissions. Respects Japanese sensei and organization only when it suits him.

Same as previous profiles, he believes only Japanese-based or Japanese-headed organizations are competent enough to create policies of budo. However, if there is such organization which disseminates grades and knowledge in a more liberate way than it is approved by this Gendai Expert, he will instantly put such organization on his "black list". He hates the fact that some people do something as equally good as his art, but are independent in their organization.

Likes the idea of absolute global control over millions of budo practitioners from one country (Japan), or even better, from one single organization. Hates "innovations". Believes he and rare people only really understand the "message" sent to the world by the creator of his system. Deeply believes there is a very profound and complex metaphysics within body arts that he does. Insists that budo arts improve moral character of people who practice them, but constantly proves just the opposite, by uncontrollable insults and offensive attitude towards all who don't share his Expert opinion.

4. Phantom - has no clear public profile, nobody knows where he is from or what he trains. Appears now and then, usually only when there is a big "witch hunt" going on and someone is already "condemned" by their inquisitional "community". One of those anonymous faceless mentally deranged persons who simply likes to throw stones on others. Considered valuable audience by Koryu God and Gendai Expert. Not so "informed" like Informed Layman, but contributes to the cause.

I wish you good luck if you face these people. Then again - did any good luck help all those poor souls who suffered from similar medieval Inquisition? No.

So, you better avoid them. Unless you meet them outside their digital world, in which case I gladly recommend what a good friend of mine once told me: don't argue, just beat the s*** out of them. In dojo. On a tournament. Wherever normal people prove their abilities, skills and knowledge.

That might help... Or maybe not?

Dr. Ivica Zdravkovic is a doctor of medicine (specialize in family medicine) who has been a lifelong practitioner of Budo, starting with Judo and Karate in the late 70s. He holds important positions on several Budo organizations. Amongst others, he is a representative of Tanabe Tetsundo sensei (founder of Chanbarra) for Serbia. He holds many ranks in Budo, some of them are 4th Dan in Chanbarra under Tanabe sensei, 5th Dan in Jujutsu and Kenjutsu under Martial Arts International Federation (certified by Bruce Bethers sensei & George Anderson sensei of JJIF), and 5th Dan in Jujutsu under Arnold Davies sensei (student of Abe Kenshiro sensei). He could be reached at ikiliki@ptt.yu.

Likes (received)

meh, he's just complaining about being banned from here.
    Michael Kelly

Ironically neither a Niten Ichi practitioner or in fact a ninja.

Likes (received)

That doesn't refute his essay...
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Likes (received)

Default Been there, done that?

Last edited by DCPan; 20th December 2005 at 22:18.
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

"That doesn't refute his essay..."

You're correct, it says I don't care, he is simply complaining.
    Michael Kelly

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by niten ninja
    meh, he's just complaining about being banned from here.
    Is he banned? His user profile doesn't indicate so.

*sigh*...

Really though, he's kind of on the dot on those definitions.... He is missing one though:

5. the x-jutsu snot: punks who think they can flick their nose at gendai budo and call it "just a sport" because they do some kind of "jutsu"...even if they've done it for less than a week.

His last bit about beating the s*** out of them though, certainly made me a lot less impressed about his shugyo then the way he previously conducted himself.
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

I thought he'd been banned. oh well. If I remember correctly Gendai vs. koryu wasn't the issue, it was that chanbara stuff, which alot of people didn't think was budo.
    Michael Kelly

Likes (received)

Dude has been on here and proved what a crack pot he truly is.
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

- G. Funakoshi, Karate-Do Nyumon, 1943

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DCPan
    Is he banned? His user profile doesn't indicate so.

*sigh*...

Really though, he's kind of on the dot on those definitions.... He is missing one though:
    No he isn't banned.

You really think that those definitions are correct?

1. Koryu God - usually a man (Caucasian) who is either living in Japan or frequently goes there. Practices some minor style which has total of 10 or 20 practitioners in whole world. Speaks officially on behalf of his Soke and style, although there are no ways of contacting his Soke (who does not speak English) through email, airmail, or any other way, except by going directly to Japan.

Often mentions some serious Japanese names of "authentic & legitimate" organizations where he belongs - or which he runs (blessed by his Soke). At the same time, no one can really check if these organizations really OFFICIALLY exist, where are they registered, who are other members, what are statute and/or bylaws, etc. They always cover behind what is once smartly described as "feudal democracy in budo organizations"! Even better, no one can check where all the money they take is going!

Koryu God usually speaks highly of his style, uses all sorts of irrelevant historical data to make it look more important and regularly neglects the fact that similar gendai arts exist for over a century. You can see his pictures in most traditional outfit with museum weapons, performing "authentic" kata in some Shinto shrines or on other appropriate stages.

There is no way to see proper translation of "secret scrolls" or other things these individuals use as proof of their superior heritage. If, by some chance someone dares to translate such documents (books, scrolls, or mokuroku - catalogue of techniques), Koryu God will persuade you it was done without proper knowledge of ancient Japanese language.

If you have 10th Dan in some similar gendai art, and you manage to perform exactly the same kata which is performed on some rare video of this Koryu God or his Soke - it will still be a "terrible performance" and you will be exposed to all sorts of insults. There is absolutely NO WAY you can escape being called "fraud" or "copycat" - even if you had never claimed to do any koryu at all. You MUST be guilty: you may have learned some techniques in local kendo, judo, aikido or chanbara club - never mind! - since it all resembles the "heavenly-inspired style" of this Koryu God (and his Soke), you are guilty for "ripping off" their art and you are, by that logic - an imposter, ignorant fool who thinks is doing authentic arts of feudal samurai battlefield - while in fact you do ineffective surrogate created by other equally ignorant people.

Finally, lets mention that this inheritor and guard of "authentic warrior arts" has absolutely no physical abilities to last even a minute in any decent kendo, judo or other sparring, performs flowery kata which are in 9 out of 10 cases created after all the wars in Japan were over,

and in general has as much abilities and chances for survival on some archaic battlefield as it has an average teenager who has never trained any budo at all. (Since teenager can at least run and not get a heart attack after a few minutes of climbing up the hill, to meet some fictional "enemy troops"...)
    So that includes anyone that has been to Japan eh? Does that include the late Donn Draeger, Phil Relnick, Meik Skoss, Ellis Amdur, Colin Hyakutake, Russ Ebert, Ben Sharples, and myself (apologies if I forgot someone, it's past midnight).

It's just sour grapes, since Dr. Z was proven wrong on many counts quite a few times. He doesn't take into account that a lot of practicioners of koryu also do gendai, like kodokan judo, kendo, ZNKR jo, eskrima etc etc.

You can't paint everyone with the same colour brush if you haven't met them. Sorry to differ, but it's just not the way it works.
    Last edited by Steve Delaney; 20th December 2005 at 23:15.

Likes (received)

Dr. Z's a crackpot. Ignore him.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delaney
    You really think that those definitions are correct?

So that includes anyone that has been to Japan eh? Does that include the late Donn Draeger, Phil Relnick, Meik Skoss, Ellis Amdur, Colin Hyakutake, Russ Ebert, Ben Sharples, and myself (apologies if I forgot someone, it's past midnight).
    I see your point now Don't mean to offend any of the above at all.

I had some others in mind at the time...just a knee jerk response to perceived koryu snobbery previously. I should have said "on some of those definitions"....

The way some people go witch hunting nowadays is certainly something that really turns me off.... Uninformed newbies get so afraid to ask questions now because they get jumped on from being a kenshin fan and etc...just not necessary.

Forget I said anything.
    David Pan

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

He has bad sonkyo.

b

Likes (received)

Sour grapes. I was this guy's main opponent for a while, and I can tell you that he's a fraud in the grand old tradition. A mixture of kendo, chambara, and book-learned koryu techniques suddenly becomes "kenjutsu" in his definition, and he's competent to rapidly promote people to various dan rankings therein despite having extremely dubious grounding in sword arts. Same goes for his judo, and as for his jujutsu... he hasn't studied it a day in his life.

Demonstrative of his total ignorance when it comes to koryu. Seeing it on a video won't teach you to properly perform it in reality. There's no such thing as self-taught koryu kata.

And you ARE a fraud if you claim to be performing, say, empi no tachi and are actually just imitating what you saw in a book. It besmirches the rightful "owner" of the kata.
    Roberto Valenzuela
    Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu (尾張貫流槍術)
    Shinkage-ryu heiho (新陰流兵法)

"Be intelligent, but do not be artificially intelligent." --Kung Fu Proverb

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sochin
    That doesn't refute his essay...
    But it's not an essay, it's a rant!

Read through it and he talks about himself. I think this link applies.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28006

Why didn't he add category 5? Could someone give it a name?

5. Someone who who has a penchant for putting up flashy web pages, with naff shields and badges. Using initials to form fictitious Budo associations and asking people worldwide including Japan (where budo comes from) and members of internet budo forums to become members to give him credibility.

Quote from one of his budo begging letters:Starts....."I am addressing you as someone who could probably help me in my future budo career. I have seen your!Web site and I have concluded that you are a highly competent master of Japanese Swordsmanship and Sogo Bujutsu in general. Before I explain you what is the main reason for contacting you, I will take the opportunity of presenting myself."

Than he writes his qualifications from the tripod pages most of what he made up for himself.......

Finishes...."I wonder if you would help me, and make the assessment on my art from the CD that I would send you? Your rank seems very legitimate and it would be my honor to attach your name to my budo career. I would send you the official Shinbukan Dojo and Serbian Budo Council's CD Presentation, alongside with Shinbukan Kenjutsu Study Guide (also on CD). My!associates from the Board of Management of SBC will also sign the official letter of recommendation for my promotion, asking for your expert's opinion and signature."

He sums up his rant on elitism by putting down his own qualifications including a medical one.

Ivica Zdravkovic, M.D.
    Pozarevac/SERBIA
    +381 (0)12 226336
    ====================
    Menkyo Okuden! Jujutsu,
    Menkyo Chuden Kenjutsu
    ===========================
    Head of Shinbukan Dojo
    http://ivicaserbia.tripod.com
    CEO of Serbian Budo Council
    http://budoserbia.tripod.com
    Founder of Kenjutsu International Association of Instructors (KIAI)
    http://kiai.dzaba.com
    BOD Member in Kokusai Gendai Budo Renmei
    http://www.katsujin.org/KGBR.htm

This guy is a Doctor? He might just as well form a medical association and ask eminent international surgeons to join in the hope he might get credibility in medicine. Personally he gives me the willies and I wouldn't take my cat to him.

His rants are as futile as the foam sticks he flails about with and insults the intelligence of those that want to learn about budo and those that want to help. We are all laymen that log on here. None of us will ever know or experience what it must have been like years ago. But at least we try to emulate rather than make it up.

But it's Christmas and I think we should try to give him an award to add to all the others he has posted on the net. We could all sign it to make it official to give him the credibilty he yearns for.
    Last edited by hyaku; 21st December 2005 at 01:42.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast