Hello everyone!

I've trained Okinawan Shuri-ryo Karate for about 4-5 months now, and I graduate 7. Kyo on wedensday (hopefully). My question is, can Karate and Aikido be easily combined, or even trained simultaniously without mastering at least one first? If not, are they so exclusive that they cannot be trained alongside at all, without extensive experience?

The reason I ask, is that although I really like Karate (especially Shuri-ryo), I would really like to be able to defend myself as well without killing or maiming my assailant. I've been mugged several times; once before I even thought about training martial arts, and once just 2 months after I started with karate. The first time I was too surpriced to do anything at all when this drunk guy just walked up to me on the street and hit me in the face, then turned around and walked away. But the second time, 2 guys on mountain bikes wanted my money, but I throw some change at them, kiai'ed and ran to the nearest group of people. It worked - would have surpriced me too...

Now I could have thown the change in the leaders face instead, and then kicked him in the stomach, but then I would have been the assailant (by Danish law, whitch often seems strange), and also what if the other guy had then decided to stab me or worse!?!

Some I have talked to think I did the right thing (namely my parents), but some of my friends think I should have beat them up (I can defend myself againt unarmed street goons). And I must admit that I hate the idea that they got away with it and will do the same thing to someone else. But violence is not the answer i know. Just makes me mad.

Anyways I would really like to train Aikido, so that I might just tell whatever jerk who assault me next, to get lost, and be able to defend myself without being the one on trial. But I'd hate to give up Karate.

Any ideas or comments?