Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix

Likes (received)

Default Jimi Hendrix

Open discussion about Hendrix. Does anyone else here really like his material/have an interest in his life/material?

I'm bored if you couldn't tell. But I'm also obsessed.

Likes (received)

Dude, you're gonna hate me.

I know almost nothing about Hendrix except he played guitar backwards (restrung) and he died of a drug OD.
    Binoy Shah

Likes (received)

He was a very, very good guitar player. But was he the best ever? I doubt it. He is much like Bruce Lee, in that his legacy and influence far outstrip his accomplishments while alive.

Dying young is still the best marketing you can buy.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

I love Hendrix, the first modern musical artist I really had that with.

Songs like "Machine gun", "Manic depression", "Castles made of sand", "Little wing", "Burning of the midnight lamp", "I don't live today", "Have you ever been experienced?" and so on, still are almighty purveyors of rock in my opinion.
    Joost van Schijndel

Likes (received)

Jimi Hendrix and Curt Cobane; two Seattle musicians who had a huge impact on the world of rock 'n' roll, but died badly.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

All I can think of about Hendrix, Jimi. Some may be myths, I hope to be corrected.

Served in the US Airborne (parachute troops).
    Was in Little Richards backing band on tour for years.
    First achieved success in the UK, then US.
    Died in the UK.
    His bands The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and The Band of Gypsies were white dudes.
    Played left-handed.
    Set fire to his guitar during on-stage solos on more than one occasion, but most notably at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.
    Is said to have been the artist whose music coined the phrase "Heavy Metal" after a reviewer said it sounded like "heavy metal falling from the sky".
    Didn't like his singing voice and had to be coaxed to use it.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Correction: Band of Gypsys were (at Woodstock) a six-piece collective, then later a trio. When a trio they were all black.

"Discovered" by Chas Chandler, who had been the bass player with The Animals. Brought to England in Sept 1966.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Yes. At Woodstock, Hendrix was playing with Mitch Mitchell, Jerry Valez, Larry Lee, Billy Cox, and Juma Sultan. I'm not sure about the whole Mitchell/Miles thing...I think that Hendrix played with Mitchell at his last concert at the Isle of Fehmarn in Germany, but I'm not sure. I know that at the Fillmore East concert (as recorded on the Band of Gypsys LP), Buddy Miles was drumming. I'll have to research this...

That reminds me! I should go watch the new complete Woodstock DVD I got for Christmas...hmm...

I need more bootlegs!

Likes (received)

Default The Best!

The Very Best Geeetar Player who ever lived. Judan, Hanshi,
    Soke of the strings......The Man.
    [FONT=Arial]Jim Kass[/FONT]

Likes (received)

The guy couldn't play at all. He just made a bunch of noise without the necessary cohesion to classify it as music.

The second best thing that happened for music was that he died. It was the first best thing until Elvis fell face down in the shitter!! {)
    Ian Johnston

Likes (received)

I think he was a great artist, but is it just me or was he always out of tune? So was Cobain as I think about it.
    Mark Chow-Young

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kass
    The Very Best Geeetar Player who ever lived. Judan, Hanshi, Soke of the strings......The Man.
    I don't think so, but many people do.

When I think of great guitarists I always think of Andres Segovia and Chet Atkins.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    I don't think so, but many people do.

When I think of great guitarists I always think of Andres Segovia and Chet Atkins.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Leo Kottke, as well as many other guitarists, blow Hendrix out of the water in TECHNICALITY. What Hendrix did was extraordinary; he introduced a whole new way of playing the electric guitar. He was possibly the most influential guitarist. Other people, like John McLaughlin, Michael Hedges, Leo Kottke, etc. are/were unbelievably talented and they all were influential in their own rights.

I'm not sure. There is no best guitarist, but influence and technicality cannot be denied. "Different strokes for different folks." : Very well put

Likes (received)

Hendrix is awsome.

Likes (received)

What very few of the technical hounds seem to understand about music is the feeling. Just like in Taijutsu, there is that feeling. If the feeling isn't there, you won't get very far. Plain and simple. I've been playing for 11 years, and i've come across a lot of guys who could rip out 800 notes per minute and it was basically an excercise in musical masturbation. I'm not knocking everybody who plays fast by any means. Just look at Joe Satriani....he can play fast with the best of them, but the guy has some serious soul. What many of the Yngwie shred nutriders fail to realize is that all of the best shredders still had soul. Satriani, Vai, MacAlpine....they all had soul and feeling in their playing. You don't have to like Hendrix, and you don't have to think Hendrix was the best or even that good, but you cannot deny that every guitarist worth his salt has a piece of Hendrix in them. Even Yngwie Malmsteen, Mr. Dress like a Baroque Homo and bastardize immortal compositions, said he was influenced by Hendrix.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast