Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Strange school name - translation

Likes (received)

Default Strange school name - translation

There is a school in my relative area offering a style called "Kaibutsu-kan Karate-do". I have never heard of this style before and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a rough translation of the name. A websearch doesn't turn up much. I don't have (and I'm sure it's never been written in) kanji.

Thanks,

Likes (received)

Kaibutsu=monster
    Kan=Hall, house, building, institute, etc.

David

Likes (received)

Default Kaibutsukan (怪物館)

It is the Haunted House which is one of the attractions of an amusement park.

Regards,
    Mai Shikata

If you want to strike your opponent, you should let him strike at you.
    If your opponent strikes at you, he himself will already have been struck.
    -- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

Thanks. That about sums up my impression.

Likes (received)

Sounds like a rather witty name for a school to me. But then, it all depends on how serious they were being when they chose it...
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Wink Kaibutsu Kan Karate Do

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    There is a school in my relative area offering a style called "Kaibutsu-kan Karate-do". I have never heard of this style before and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a rough translation of the name. A websearch doesn't turn up much. I don't have (and I'm sure it's never been written in) kanji.

Thanks,

Not Sure What your impression is Geoff , But please feel free to come in to the dojo and observe while your driving around!!.
    Kaibutsu Kan Karate Do= Iron Will/school/open hand/the way( Direct Translation)
    Shihan Master William Whitmire is founder of this style which incorperates several Okinowan styles as well as Kendo

Sensei Dave George

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dave G.
    Not Sure What your impression is Geoff , But please feel free to come in to the dojo and observe while your driving around!!.
    Shihan Master William Whitmire is founder of this style which incorperates several Okinowan styles as well as Kendo

Sensei Dave George

Hello Mr. George. I am quite sure that Geoff have no ill intents of smearing your dojo and Mr. Whitmire. After all he was simply seeking clarification about the translation of your dojo's name. If you noticed this thread is categorized under "Language" section which means posters can ask certain questions pertaining to the Japanese language.

As an ardent devotee to all Okinawan arts. Can you kindly tell us what Mr. Whitmire's background are in Okinawan Karate ?

Thanks you for your patient response.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

With all due respect, there's no way "kaibutsu" translates directly into "iron will".
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Sensei Dave George

As has been mentionned, there is no way "kaibutsu" translates to "iron will". Iron is kurogane in japanese. I can find no "kai" or "butsu" reading in the kanji for kuro/黒/black, gane/金/metal, or tetsu/鉄/iron. The only word I can find that reads "kaibutsu" is indeed "monster" ( 怪物 ). Whatever you have been told the name means, the person who came up with it either didn't intend for this translation or was not up to par with their japanese skills. If you wanted to say "iron will", you'd find tesseki, tessekishin and tesshin. All of those use the tetsu/鉄/iron kanji, along with seki/石/stone and shin/心/heart, making the direct translations: tesseki -> iron stone, tessekishin -> iron stone heart, and tesshin -> iron heart. All make sense. Kaibutsu does not, and I believe it cannot.

As another point, it's incorrect to call someone "sensei nani-nani" or "shihan nani-nani", it's actually the other way around. "nani-nani sensei" and "nani-nani shihan". I think the latter may not be usual, the same way you wouldn't call someone "nani-nani hanshi" but rather "nani-nani sensei". It's also considered bad form to call yourself sensei, that's something other people do, not yourself.

We can't become Japanese, sure, but I think it's important to pay attention to such details. Even such small mistakes are noticed, and some people remember them for a long time, even if you don't.

---
    Sebastien L.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    ..."Kaibutsu-kan Karate-do"...can give me a rough translation of the name.
    The question of translating the name has been answered.

Further posts on the language question would be okay, but I think that's already been addressed fully by several members with excellent knowledge of Japanese.

If anyone has questions concerning the school, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum, since this is the Language forum.

Thanks.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---