Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kiyota Company Inc.

Likes (received)

Default Kiyota Company Inc.

Hey, Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this company, and if so, could i get some info as to quality for their prices if anyones ever bought from them before. Im looking to buy some items but im really new and need to know if im being scammed or its legit. The company in questions is the kiyota company based out of baltimore maryland.
    Saya no uchi de katsu

|JOSH|

Likes (received)

Hi Josh,

First, it'd be a good idea to append your name to your signature. I know it's in your profile, but I'd recommend putting it more visibly.

Second of all, Kiyota Co. is a great little outfit run by an old Japanese man. No website or anything as far as I know of, but he carries a pretty wide variety of products.

Definitely not a scam.

HTH.
    - Alex Dale

Likes (received)

I have purchased from them before many times. Just last week in fact.

I only know that the quality of the items I have purchased: Iaito, Bokuto, Obi, Cleaning kits etc are good for the price.

They also ship very fast - I faxed an order on a Tuesday and received my order on Thursday...they must have processed it that day.

I don't like to give sweeping recomendations of any company as each experience is bound to be different, but they are legit.

Hope that helps!

---
    Brent Eastman

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by fatguy
    Hey, Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this company...need to know if im being scammed or its legit.
    The Kiyota Company is one of the old-timers in the martial arts supplies business.

The quality of all the goods I've purchased from them (last time was in 2002) was good, and the service has always been excellent.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

alright, good to know thanks.
    Saya no uchi de katsu

|JOSH|

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by fatguy
    Hey, Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this company, and if so, could i get some info as to quality for their prices if anyones ever bought from them before. Im looking to buy some items but im really new and need to know if im being scammed or its legit. The company in questions is the kiyota company based out of baltimore maryland.
    Yup, I'm surprised they still don't appear to have an internet presence.

They carry similar inventory to another supply company called "California S & P" or something like that.

Anyhow, they have a great selection of bokkens...including a long bokken that they call the "bizen-odachi" which is almost as long as a shinai!
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DCPan
    Yup, I'm surprised they still don't appear to have an internet presence.
    Definitely "old school."

...Anyhow, they have a great selection of bokkens...including a long bokken that they call the "bizen-odachi" which is almost as long as a shinai!
    Also Yagyu-style fukuro/hikihada shinai, various types of yari and naginata, etc.

Their catalog is well worth the price, even if you don't buy anything, just for looking at all the unusual items.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Kiyota company is, like everyone above has stated, definitely legit. The prices are what you would expect from a business of his size. Sometimes you can get a better deal, but then again he might have something on sale, or something rare, that is a real steal.

I'm lucky enough to be able to go to his store directly. He always has great stories to tell, and if he likes you the prices get even better.
    Tommy Nash

"A good sword is kept in its sheath." ~Sanjuro~

Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

Kageshin Dojo, Baltimore, MD

Likes (received)

Great dealer!

Kiyota Company is (from what they've told me) a small family owned business.

I've always been more than pleased with my orders.

BTW anyone know if they put out a new catalog? I've used the same one since 2002.
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Anyhow, they have a great selection of bokkens...including a long bokken that they call the "bizen-odachi" which is almost as long as a shinai!

Yep, I have one of those. nagasa is about 36" on mine, tsuka is..hmm.. 12" or so. its very very fast. A very nice piece overall. The carving is nice, the wood grain is very good, etc. I also have a Keishi ryu bokken from Kiyota, and the same is true, except that its shorter and chubbier.

On item to note is that if you have small hands, their tsuka are awfully big around. I have to do a little creative sanding/shaping on the tsuka to get it down to a size I can grip without pinching nerve under my index finger and making my right hand go numb..
    Chris Holzman
    Moniteur D' Armes USFCA/AAI
    River City Fencing Club

Likes (received)

Mr. Kiyota is a pleasure to deal with, and as above stated, they have a large quantity of quality products.

About the catalog, he usualy puts one out every year. The only difference is the change in color on the cover and the prices are updated.
    Master Yagyu once remarked,
    "I do not know the way to defeat others, but the way to defeat myself."

Jonah Matheson

Likes (received)

Anyone got contact details?
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Hey guys,

Anyone order from Mr. Kiyota recently? It's been a while for me, and I was just wondering if he is still around. If so, is there a webpage for him yet?

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    ...Anyone order from Mr. Kiyota recently? It's been a while for me, and I was just wondering if he is still around. If so, is there a webpage for him yet?
    No Web presence that I know of. KiyotaBudo.com doesn't show anything except links, so I think someone bought the domain name and is parking on it.

The company is still in business, though:

(410) 366-8275

Kiyota Company, Inc.
    2326 N Charles Street
    Baltimore, MD
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Brian

Thank you for posting the contact info.

I purchased several bo from his firm some 10 years ago--great quality.

Was actually planning on buying several more but could not find the old info.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast