Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Xmas Loot

Likes (received)

Default Xmas Loot

I made out pretty good - got a sushi book written by Dave Lowry. Of course, nobody believed that I actually knew who he was until they read the author bio....

The rest of it was some clothing and and a Swiss Army flash drive for my key ring.

Dave, next time you're in Seattle you need to sign my book And we'll take you to Toyoda's Sushi
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

I got bored watching TV.

Likes (received)

Default Dear Buddha: Please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket and...

The parents tell me I have a big smelly box o' tatami on its way! I also got Toshishiro Obata's Shinkendo and Shinkendo Tameshigiri books (I so wanna go back and watch him in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles now) and the first season of Nip/Tuck on DVD.

But the coolest gift received this year is actually the knife block my girlfriend got from my sister and her fianceé...a good "not me" outlet for any domestic aggressions.
    TJ Hara

"You know what it is trickster gods do, right?"
    "I don't know, keep promises?"
    8-Bit Theater

Likes (received)

My grandfather's old watch. A Roamer, decent swiss brand, it's well-used but a very nice little watch. Seems to be keeping time properly too.
    He ran a big tree nursery, so I had to wash the soil out of the strap.

I love it.
    Joost van Schijndel

Likes (received)

The only budo presents I got where Dave Barry Does Japan and the offical book of Real Ultimate Power which I didn't know even existed, it's actaully really funny so fair play to them for getting it published

I bought myself also 30 packs of udon noodles for when the turkey sandwich re-runs get too much
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

I got a nice Swiss Military watch [black leather strap, square face...my fave style] the 4th season of 24 on DVD [I haven't seen it AT ALL yet...]. As far as budo gifts go, I got a Cold Steet rubber practice knife for dojo.

Jest -- You should take your grandpa's old watch to a good watch repair centre and make sure it is clean and in good shape internally. Even the best quality watches require servicing every few years to keep them running properly. For an heirloom like yours, it's doubly important.
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)

Default Hanukkah Loot

A new furnace (the almost 60-year-old one died, the ungrateful wretch).

A large photo portrait of my great-grandfather the rabbi - taken most probably in the Jewish ghetto village of Yenishpalya in Berditchev, Ukraine in the 1870s. Doesn't sound like much, but my family fled pogroms and abductions (to serve in the tsar's army for the war against Japan) in tsarist Ukraine and got the the US via Canada and Vermont at the turn of the 20th century, and were not able to bring more than a few belongings on the crowded tramp steamers. So having a 24" picture survive the journey and wanderings through Canada and the US is a pretty major thing. It's one of the few mementos I have of my family ancestry.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Red face Beware the new furnace

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield
    A new furnace (the almost 60-year-old one died, the ungrateful wretch).

A large photo portrait of my great-grandfather the rabbi - taken most probably in the Jewish ghetto village of Yenishpalya in Berditchev, Ukraine in the 1870s. Doesn't sound like much, but my family fled pogroms and abductions (to serve in the tsar's army for the war against Japan) in tsarist Ukraine and got the the US via Canada and Vermont at the turn of the 20th century, and were not able to bring more than a few belongings on the crowded tramp steamers. So having a 24" picture survive the journey and wanderings through Canada and the US is a pretty major thing. It's one of the few mementos I have of my family ancestry.
    Damn new technology. The furnace software can do strange stuff, such as: the sensor burns out because you don't change the air filter enough (heck the old one was so inefficient, the air just leaked out around the blockage). Then, after your furnace guy visits and leaves you a bill, the furnace software still shuts off and fills your house with gas because you don't have all your vents open enough ...blah blah blah!! The old furnaces were inefficient but never died because all they did was turned on or turned off.

Glad you found these unique pics. My father's family had a genealogy done once and it was cool to see it...not to read it since I can't read Chinese

M
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")