Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts workout routine at the gym?

Likes (received)

Default Martial arts workout routine at the gym?

Its the new year and Im going to start hitting the gym again. I only took a 2 month break but I feel really weak and much smaller than I did in the summer when I gained a lot of mass.

Im doing Goju-Ryu Karate right now and I found it hard to workout at the same time. But I'll make the time.

Does anyone have any routines they've used in conjunction with their training? Or any exercises or ideas that are good to mix with martial arts training 2-3 days a week? I'd like some more definition/mass (and strength) before summer ^^
    Warren Mirko

Likes (received)

Default Core system

I've had alot success with the Paul Verstegen's Core system workout. Many of the excercises seem to come right out of a martial arts workout, particularly in the movment prep excercises. They even have an excercise called the "sumo squat to stand", which is basically squatting deep like a sumo and getting up. Seems silly, but its great for working the quads and also getting an added stretch as well. The program is not really designed for bulking up, but its great for buildng lean/effecient muscle structures that are conducive to martial training.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Good old calisthenics - push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, crunches etc. make excellent general strength training. I also do some static exercises such as this "core and stability test": http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/coretest.htm .

For karate, you probably want do to some routines to work on explosive power - jumping, rope skipping etc. I haven't really done any of that stuff, so I can't give any specific suggestions.

Running can really improve your overall conditioning and stamina. Whilst running, you can/should also work on moving from the center, proper breathing, staying focused and relaxed - all of which are crucial skills in budo.

I'd add some balance exercises as well - although they won't give you a lot of muscle...
    Aage Bakken

Ki is like duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. [yoj]

Likes (received)

Try and get The Strongest Shall Survive by Bill Starr and work out your own training routine from that book. It is excellent.
    Harry Cook

Likes (received)

Default I'm trying crossfit

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex
    Its the new year and Im going to start hitting the gym again. I only took a 2 month break but I feel really weak and much smaller than I did in the summer when I gained a lot of mass.

Im doing Goju-Ryu Karate right now and I found it hard to workout at the same time. But I'll make the time.

Does anyone have any routines they've used in conjunction with their training? Or any exercises or ideas that are good to mix with martial arts training 2-3 days a week? I'd like some more definition/mass (and strength) before summer ^^
    Until Harry C. completes his book on hojo undo, I'm trying this site: http://crossfit.com/

The concentration on upper body workouts is a nice complement to the lower body conditioning karate does so well. I can't do a muscle up (pullup on rings then dip down w/ triceps) or a pullup. User is responsible for scaling weights to ability. Plus, the workouts can be very short, which makes them possible to integrate into a class.

M
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Likes (received)

Default IHS Book

Hello,
    Hunter Armstrong of the International Hoplology Society has published a book called "Strength & Conditioning for the Combative Athlete." It is excellent, and covers everything from weights to plyometrics to cardio training.

I've been using the weight programs in the book for about 6 months and I'm very happy with the results. In the 10 years that I've been doing martial arts, (for the last 2, judo) I've seen the biggest improvements in the last 6 months.

Similar to crossfit, the programs are all built around the olympic weight lifting exercises such as the high pull and the clean. I have tried leg press machines etc, before, but the combination of the olympic style exercises and squats have made my throws quicker and better.

I'm not sure how it would apply in karate, but it seems to me that whole body strength is always a plus. I believe that Armstrong is/was also a practitioner of an Okinawan karate style, so I have to think that the book might have some value for you.
    Tim Fong

Likes (received)

Default Thanks for the referral

Will look it up, thanx.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Likes (received)

Default One more thing

Margaret,

Glad you found my post interesting. The O-lifts (olympic lifts) are great, but I forgot to mention that you should get someone to show you how it's done. Teaching yourself is....well a lot of people have gotten hurt that way.

I hired a personal trainer for a few sessions. A lot of personal trainers will not be able to show you the lifts, or will try to talk you out of them. In my case, I'm lucky enough to work out at a gym that trains a lot of throwers (hammer, disc, shot) so I was able to find someone who knew what he was doing.

Good luck!
    Tim Fong

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by edg176
    Margaret,

Glad you found my post interesting. The O-lifts (olympic lifts) are great, but I forgot to mention that you should get someone to show you how it's done. Teaching yourself is....well a lot of people have gotten hurt that way.

I hired a personal trainer for a few sessions. A lot of personal trainers will not be able to show you the lifts, or will try to talk you out of them. In my case, I'm lucky enough to work out at a gym that trains a lot of throwers (hammer, disc, shot) so I was able to find someone who knew what he was doing.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the warning. I realize O-lifts are skill based as well as strength based. Luckily anything that can crush me I can't lift to begin with.

http://crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

check out the Turkish Get Up.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Likes (received)

Default Brutal

That lift looks brutal. One of these days I'm going to try Crossfit, after I work through all the stuff in the IHS book once.

Thank you for the warning. I realize O-lifts are skill based as well as strength based. Luckily anything that can crush me I can't lift to begin with.
    Cool. Just wanted to make sure I put that out there.

I actually started off with just a big wooden bar for a few weeks just to learn the motion and gradually worked up to a 45 pound bar. It's been tough but ultimately I find it more rewarding than the other type of weight training (sets to failure on machines) I'd done in the past.

I'd like to try kettlebells too but they're expensive. Maybe one of these days.

I'm also intrigued by reports that the Chen village taiji practitioners lift heavy clay pots for training. There's some stuff about similar practices in that new book on Chinese martial arts training manuals.

Honestly my biggest regret is not doing this stuff sooner.
    Tim Fong

Likes (received)

Crossfit.

There are a couple beginner's routines and warmups if you are not ready to jump straight into the regular workouts (if you can jump straight in, then feel justifiably hardcore). Alternatively, you can scale back the regular daily workout.

Plus it's free and always changing!

Likes (received)

try to stick to core exercises. e.g. squats , dedlifts, curls,
    military press, dips,

try this from geoff thompsons forum:-

WORKOUT 1

2 sets of squats for 6-8 reps
    (Warning! If you don't know how to do squats properly have a qualified trainer show you. Improper squats can lead to serious injury)
    2 sets of dips for 6-8 reps
    (add a weighted belt if you can do more than 8. If you are not strong enough to do dips, then substitute incline or flat bench dumbell presses)
    2 sets of wide grip pullups for 6-8 reps
    (use a slightly wider than shoulder width grip with your palms facing away from you. If you aren't strong enough to do pullups than pulldowns or rows can be substituted, although pullups are far more effective)
    2 sets of military presses for 6-8 reps

WORKOUT 2

2 sets of deadlifts for 6-8 reps
    (Warning! If you don't know how to do deadlifts properly, have a qualified trainer show you. Improper deadlifts can injure your back)
    2 sets of reverse grip pullups for 6-8 reps
    (palms facing you, about shoulder width apart. If you aren't strong enough to do pullups than pulldowns or rows can be substituted, although pullups are far more effective)
    2 sets of flat bench dumbell presses for 6-8 reps
    2 sets of standing calf raises for 6-8 reps

hope this helps.
    iain phillips

Likes (received)

Awesom thanks Iain!

Couple questions...

-can I sub anything for deadlifts?

-will this routine be effective doing each workout only once a week?
    - I train in martial arts on Tuesday and Thursday (possibly adding Saturday). On what days should I add the workouts?

Thanks
    Warren Mirko

Likes (received)

Hi Simplex,

Honestly, i wouldn't try and substitue deadlifts if i could help it. They use so many muscles, and have an effect on overall body growth / strength.

I would suggest that twice per week is best. The workout is intense enough not to be done any more than this.

I personally do monday and friday, plus i train self defence on thursday. I also go for runs etc when the opportunity arises. You need to give yourself time to recover.
    check the link below for more info.

http://message.geoffthompson.com/ubb...c;f=2;t=000534

Happy training,

Iain
    iain phillips

Likes (received)

Since we're all sharing, my supplemental gym workout (I change the order around every so often to shake things up so that my body doesn't get too complacent):

Treadmill -- run at your target heart rate (combination of age and other factors) for 10 to 30 min (depending on how hard you're working in other areas).

Free weights:

Bench press -- 1/2 to 2/3 of your maximum bench, 2 sets of 5 reps, then reduce weight to 1/4 to 1/2 of your maximum bench for a final set of 10-15. I work towards explosive power on the first two sets (just like I do with push-ups), then for a slower, steadier burn on the final set.

Dead lifts -- 2 sets of 10 reps, alternating the grips (left hand up, right hand down for first, then switch) for each set. Work for using your entire body with proper form for steady lifts.

Squat lifts -- 2 sets of 10 reps. Work for using your entire body with proper form for steady lifts.

Supplemental exercises:

Two types of Abdominal workouts -- One for the vertical up/down sit-up/crunch. Can be done inclined, with weight added or on a Nautilus-type machine. Second exercise is the horizontal plane for turning the waist, either with a weight bar on the shoulders or on a Nautilus-type machine.

Lunges -- for the wrestler, this is as easy as mimicking penetration steps, with one step, then back to neutral, then step with the other foot.

Pull-ups and Dips -- build and technique matters! Even in my peak-condition wrestling days, I could only do so many pull-ups, but could do dips all day long. Both are great for building core strength.

On a good week, I train 4-6 classes at the dojo (between aikido and SMR jo), on a bad week only 2-3 and on horrible weeks only once (which, thankfully, is very rare). I typically try to accomplish the above workout twice a week, on bad weeks only once and on horrible weeks not at all (which, thankfully, is also very rare).

Mostly, my goal for the supplemental workouts is to build functional strength and endurance that will enable me to work harder in the dojo (or conversely, not be so tired during a tough training session that I can still concentrate enough and be able to perform waza and/or randori with intensity -- without letting my form and focus become sloppy -- I find conditioning helps this a lot).

Having said all that -- I find that I typically need one day a week of rest or no scheduled workouts, so sometimes I double-up on training (workout at lunchtime, train in the evening).

FWIW
    -- Budd Yuhasz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast