Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bo-Fighting-Kumite for the next Kobudo/Karate world tournament

Likes (received)

Default Bo-Fighting-Kumite for the next Kobudo/Karate world tournament

Hello,

i heard from Frank Pelny that in the next world tournament should also be Bo-Fighting-Kumite include? Has anybody more infomations about that?

Sincerly

Thomas Mayer-Gall

Likes (received)

Default I doubt it

Unless someone has stock in hospitals I think this is a bad idea. Either you use real weapons and techniques, and people get hurt really bad, or your use foam spungie things and the art gets hurt really bad. All for what, some bragging rights and a plastic trophy?

For what it is worth, I was at a recent meeting to celebrate Higaona sensei and Shimabukuro sensei being promoted to 10 Dan. There the conversation was that the next world tournament in Okinawa should be without any competition. People were saying it should only have demonstrations and lessons. Competitions were to subjective, too open to differing judgment based on stylistic divergence, and resulted in people bragging that they were world champions instead of being humble and trying to get better.

My own opinion is that people would skip it all together if the competition is removed. Last one in 2003 only had kata and fewer people showed up than in 1997. Of course someone died in 1997 so you can understand some reluctance to let people go at it, but in addition to that the argument is that if you try to make it safe you have changed it from Okinawan martial arts to something different, and many of the older crowd just have no interest in changing anything.

You can see their point. You can also see the counter point that if no one shows up then what good is it to have a big event in the first place.

I am just glad I am not going to have to be part of any decision making.
    Yours in budo.

Likes (received)

Hello Tim,

I heard that Frank Pelny got a coures as a referre for Bo-Fighting. So i was curious about it, and what are the experiences in fighting with a bo. ou was talking about the tournament in 1997, had there been bo-fighting-competions?

I heard from Tamayose Sensei that there had been bo-fighting tournaments before, and the stop cause they would be to dangerous. And I know from my own experinces that bo-fighting with real bo's is quite dangerous.

In germany we have some good experience in bo-fighting, here are some youtube links from our competions:

http://de.youtube.com/results?search...rch_type=&aq=f

and here is a best of video of our german tournatment of 2007:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOvXS5nYUeA

We are useing a PVC-Pipe of 4 cm dieameter with a pipe insulation around it. Almost every technique is allowed, except tuskis to the face, strikes to the head are just allowed in very light contact.
    The bo-techniques are working in the normal way with them. And I think there would be no problem in fighting against people from differnt styles.

Sincerly

Thomas Mayer-Gall

Likes (received)

Default Chambara

When you change the weapon you change the art.

It might be fun. It might teach some distancing and timing. It will however deceive you on the weight of the weapons, how you grip them, how they react when hit, and the list goes on.

I advise against it.

We have some photos of Taira Sensei in bogu for sparing with weapons. It didn't work and had to be abandoned.

What we are doing is putting the set fighting drills back into the testing. The seniors in our organization belived it was needed so that people would have some experience with how the weapons react when really hit and hitting.
    Yours in budo.

Likes (received)

I've seen some videos from Okinawa of Bo sparring while wearing Bogu. The people still got beat up pretty bad despite the armor...
    Pat Massey

Student of Shorin Ryu
    Student of Aikikai Aikido

Likes (received)

Hi Armanox,

this had been also our experience in Bo-Fighting with Bogu. In the 80ths we had a tournatment, where the had some real hard fight and destroyed many bo. So the development of our safty-bos stated.

Where did you the the Bogu fighting videos?

Sincerly

Thomas

Likes (received)

I am planning to be in Okinawa at the time of the next world tournament and if it is just training and all thats ok to. But I would love to see some competition both kata and kumite. Bo kumite is a scary thing any weapons kumite is a scary thing so I would agree with Mr. Jurgens on voting against it in competition. Those that were braggards about being world champions well they didn't deserve it anyway in my opinion goes against everything Okinawa Karate / Kobudo stands for. What happened to the humility in the arts??
    Yours in Karate-Do,
    Brandon Fisher
    Okinawa Karate of Twinsburg
    Twinsburg, OH

Likes (received)

Hello all.Question to ask if i may.When is the next Okinawan World Karate-Kobudo tournament planned?Is there any infomation available to confirm this?

Regards,
    Tim H
    Tim Herlihy

Likes (received)

Aug. 2009, according to this blog:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/okinawamedia/
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Awesome.Thanks for that Todd.I'm in Naha early September so will ask if any other info available.August 2009!wow thats not to far away.
    Tim Herlihy

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TimJurgens View Post

Of course someone died in 1997 so you can understand some reluctance to let people go at it, but in addition to that the argument is that if you try to make it safe you have changed it from Okinawan martial arts to something different, and many of the older crowd just have no interest in changing anything.
    During the tournament ?
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Sorry not related to the topic.Just wondering if anyone here has purchased Nakamoto Masahiro san's new Okinawan Kobudo book?Your thoughts,reviews.

Regards,
    Tim H
    Tim Herlihy

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by tgall View Post
    Hi Armanox,

this had been also our experience in Bo-Fighting with Bogu. In the 80ths we had a tournatment, where the had some real hard fight and destroyed many bo. So the development of our safty-bos stated.

Where did you the the Bogu fighting videos?

Sincerly

Thomas
    Hello Thomas,

Sensei has them in the dojo's video library. I would believe that they came to us from Okinawa via Takeshi Miyagi, Kiyoshi Tsuha, or were video taped by one of our guys when they were over there.

-Pat
    Pat Massey

Student of Shorin Ryu
    Student of Aikikai Aikido

Likes (received)

Default Death in 97

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler View Post
    During the tournament ?
    I heard it was a South African. He took a nasty blow to the head and went down. He came to and was offered medical attention, which he declined. He went to bed and didn't wake up the next day. Dam shame, may he rest in peace.
    Yours in budo.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Sorry not related to the topic.Just wondering if anyone here has purchased Nakamoto Masahiro san's new Okinawan Kobudo book?Your thoughts,reviews.

Regards,
    Tim H
    I paged through it at Shureido. Seems well organized and would be a nice addition to a library. I visited Nakamoto Sensei about 18 months back. He lives up the road from me. Seems like a nice fellow. He was a fellow student of Akamine Esuke Sensei under Taira Shinken Sensei. When Akamine Sensei was made the Second President, Nakamoto Sensei and Inoue Sensei went their own ways. There is yet another gentleman out on the Katsuren area who trained under Taira Sensei. I actually trained there for about 3 months in 1987. The fellow did not have many foreign students and as such probably is not well known outside of his neighborhood, very good techniqe though and like most Okinawans was kind, humble, trained hard, and was welcoming.
    Yours in budo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast