Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Reccomendation for Goju Ryu in Edmonds Washington area.

Likes (received)

Default Reccomendation for Goju Ryu in Edmonds Washington area.

Can anyone offer some advice about good Goju Ryu dojo in and around Edmonds Washington that has classes for yound children under ten years old. I am only interested in Goju Ryu dojo.

Thank you in advance.

T. H. James

Likes (received)

For Goju Ryu, I'd recommend talking to Kris Wilder in West Seattle. At 5:30 in the evening, it's about 50 minutes one-way from South Snohomish to West Seattle.

Also consider taking a look at Eric Madis's Tang Soo Do class in Shoreline. It's at the community center located a couple blocks west of Chuck Olson Chevrolet. It's not Goju, but it is a whole lot closer to home.

Likes (received)

Default Chinen Sensei

Chinen Sensei used to be located in Spokane, but I think he largely travels and teaches now. He may have students in your general location.

I don't think you could do much better than finding a student of Chinen Sensei for goju training.
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

Likes (received)

Chinen's people are mostly in Spokane and the Palouse. Spokane and the Palouse are both about five hours east of Edmonds. Some years back, I recall one of Chinen's guys who was starting a class in Seattle, but between us, he was really wooden. I suppose that's okay if you want to look like Pinocchio, but most suburban roundeyes don't need additional training in moving like they have sticks up their butts. So, personally, I wouldn't go there.

In Yakima, just three hours southeast of Edmonds, you'll find Ernie Brennecke, who trained with Morio Higaonna in Japan during the early 1960s.

There are also folks up in Mount Vernon and Bellingham, meaning an hour or two north of Edmonds.

Anyway, many of the local clubs are listed at http://www2.rpa.net/~joeroa/dojolist.htm. The addresses may not be up-to-date, but once you know names, you can usually track folks down via Google.

As for Edmonds, most of what I'm aware of involved taekwondo for tots. Gag. Thus, my recommendation for karate training in the Shoreline/Edmonds/Montlake Terrace/Lynnwood area remains Eric Madis. His business web site is http://www.ericmadis.com/ . As for Kris Wilder, his karate school web site is http://www.westseattlekarate.com/ .

Likes (received)

Default Wooden

Hmmm,

That's odd, I have seen two of Chinen sensei's students work in my time, neither seemed stiff. Neither were they absolute paragons of fluidity either, just good solid goju, and functional too, imo.

I used to live in the Palouse.

Here is info for Jundokan International in Seattle, for anyone who is interested:

Jundokan International Karate
    Style: Okinawan
    Affiliation: Jundokan International (Master Teruo Chinen)
    Sensei: Peter Savoy
    1010 Downsview Drive, Unit 6,
    Burlington, Ontario L7T 4H8
    (905) 333-9520
    Internet: dsavoy@mcmaster.ca (Darlene Savoy)
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by gmanry
    Hmmm,

That's odd, I have seen two of Chinen sensei's students work in my time, neither seemed stiff. Neither were they absolute paragons of fluidity either, just good solid goju, and functional too, imo.

I used to live in the Palouse.

Here is info for Jundokan International in Seattle, for anyone who is interested:

Jundokan International Karate
    Style: Okinawan
    Affiliation: Jundokan International (Master Teruo Chinen)
    Sensei: Peter Savoy
    1010 Downsview Drive, Unit 6,
    Burlington, Ontario L7T 4H8
    (905) 333-9520
    Internet: dsavoy@mcmaster.ca (Darlene Savoy)
    Well I'd reccomend emailing that individual but the phone number is not a WA state area code and that address is in Ontario... I have also seen that there is a Jundokan International Karate in Seattle but I don't think it's the one you just posted.
    Brian Culpepper