Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jodo Seminar

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Jodo Seminar

Everyone,

Just in case some of you don't wander over to the Seminar Announcements Section, I posted information about the upcomming Shindo Muso Ryu Seminar in Jacksonville, FL. There will be a Jodo Seminar in addition to an Iaido Tournament and Seminar. Here's a link to the site:

Jodo Seminar
    Greg Kencitzski

Likes (received)

Bump - Just a reminer in case anyone is interested.
    Greg Kencitzski

Likes (received)

heh, I'm interested allright! But the only way for me to attend it would be if I swim across the sea...(or maybe hitch a ride with Captain Nemo).
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Just thought I'd give a short recap of the seminars that I attended over the weekend instructed by Shiokawa Soke.

Without getting into paistaking detail about both (Jodo and Iaido) seminars - Shiokawa Soke went through about 15 Iaido kata in about 2 hours. Although I currently don't practice Iaido, it was facinating to watch and learn. I know that I won't retain half of it, but it will definitely improve my bokken work in Jodo practice. My chiburi and noto apparently needed a little work as well as some minor technical things with my cutting/striking technique as well as maintaining the proper distancing.

The Jodo seminar covered some basic seitei kata and kihon basics for beginners, but even in performing some of the kata that I have been practicing for years, I picked up new things as he spoke a lot about the practical application of the movements. If I had to describe it, there was definitely a more "martial/jutsu" focus to his seminar than I was used to. Maybe that's the Japanese/Koryu influence coming through. I would kill to train with him for a month. My advice to anyone who has an opportunity to train with Shiokawa or another Menkyo Kaiden of his stature - do it. You'll be glad you did.
    Greg Kencitzski