Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Taisha ryu

Likes (received)

Not sure how much help this will be, but my aikido instructor is a student of Taisha ryu (and perhaps menkyo kaiden, but I'm not certain about that). He studied it in Hitoyoshi, in the southern part of Kyushu (he currently lives and teaches in Kumamoto City). He's told me just a bit about Taisha ryu at enkais and whatnot, but not much. He mentioned that it had some relationship with Yagyu Shinkage ryu, but I'm unclear exactly what that entailed. He also mentioned that, like Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Taisha ryu at one point had some sort of ninja connection on its "ura" side. The exact way he put it was "Omote wa...kenjutsu. Ura wa...ninja." That's about all I was able to drag out of him, sorry it's not much. I also asked if he taught Taisha ryu, but he was quite clear that he did not and did not wish to. At that point I decided to stop being nosy and enjoy a more upbeat discussion on aikido with him. (to all Yagyu Shinkage ryu practitioners, please don't take offense. It's quite possible I misunderstood what was said regarding Yagyu Shinkage ryu and if so, I humbly apologize).
    Brett A. Charvat

Likes (received)

This is what I understand to be the link betwen Taisha Ryu and Shin Kage Ryu: Marume Karundo was a student of Kamiizumi Nobutsuna who founded the Shin Kage Ryu as was Hozo Inei (Founder Hozo Ryu Spear) and Yagyu Muneyoshi (Founder Yagyu Shin Kage Ryu).

Marume originally called his style Taisha Shin Kage Ryu, one of his students went off to train with Kamiizumi Nobutsuna and then went back to train with Marume Karundo, the latter then realised that his Taisha Shin Kage Ryu had developed differently from what his teacher taught and dropped the Shin Kage from the name. Marume then sought out his teacher Nobutsuna again, but alas it was too late, he had died.

Do not know the name of Marumes student who trained with Kamiizumi Nobutsuna, (if this version of the history is correct) and if any one knows I would be interested to know.

I also understand that one Togo Shigejura who was a student of Taisha Ryu founded the Jigen Ryu style that was taught to the Satsuma Samurai.

I have also heard of a Taisha Shinkan Ryu within the Okuyama family line as well.

I understand that Kouzo Kaku, an Aikidoka, who wrote the book mysterious power of Ki practises Taisha Ryu Ken Jutsu, I believe he is based in Nara. There was some discussion on an old thread about him and Taisha Ryu quite a while back.

Regards
    Chris Norman

Likes (received)

The founder of Kage-ryu in the late 1500,s Yamamoto Hisaya Masakatsu also did Taisha ryu. Yanagawa, Kyushu also had Oishi Shinkage Ryu. Looking back it looks like there were a lot of connections.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2