Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mytery Picture

Likes (received)

Gekkan Karatedo published a big article in their May 2007 issue on Higa Yuchoku. The photo in question is included. It lists the kanji as 渡嘉敷唯名. It is read "Tokashiki Imei". The name 渡嘉敷唯明 is also read "Tokashiki Imei" but is not the same person. The second Tokashiki is a member of the Gohakukai and younger brother of the head of that assoication (Tokashiki Iken).
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

After speaking with a friend, I may need to clarify to avoid confusion. As far as I know:

渡嘉敷唯明 - Tokashiki Imei, currently alive and working in Naha. Member of Gohakukai Karatedo Kyokai. Not pictured in the mystery photo.

渡嘉敷唯名 - Tokashiki Imei, pictured in the mystery photo. Not much other info available.

But, I haven't checked the book Dan mentioned. Is the kanji for the name Imei in the book different from the kanji in the magazine, or has there been a typo somewhere ? My point was that the kanji for the name Dan provided and the kanji in the magazine can be read the same, but differ in how they are written. There is also another book out recently very similar in content to the Kyudokan book. It would be interesting to see how it's written there.
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Here is the book for sale on ebay.

the picture in question is shown on the secon row middle pic.

I hope this helps

Master HIGA YUCHOKU Okinawa Shorin-ryu Kyudokan Karate
    Joe Stitz

"Black belt and white belt are the same, white belt is the beginning of technique. Black belt is the beginning of understanding. Both are beginner belts."
    - Doug Perry -Hanshi, KuDan -Shorin Ryu ShorinKan

Likes (received)

Thanks for the link Joe. I checked it, and it appears the kanji Dan originally posted are the same. I also checked with my teacher, who confirmed that it is written as in the book Dan mentioned. The name is read "Imei". The characters and pronunciation of the name of the guy in the mystery picture is written the same as my teacher's younger brother, but the magazine article about Higa Yuchoku sensei used a name having the same pronunciation but a different final character. That is the source of my misunderstanding. No-one seems to have much information about Yuchoku sensei's sempai in that photo.
    Nullius in verba

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2