Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shintaido Bojutsu

Likes (received)

Default Shintaido Bojutsu

I saw a book on Shintaido bojutsu couple of months ago at a martial arts store. I scanned through it and saw alot of similarities to Kukishin-ryu. Does anyone know what the back ground of Shintaido bojutsu and where the founder learned his bojutsu from?
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

The bojutsu of Shintaido is from Shotokai karate and is the backbone of Shintaido. All kata are Okinawan bojutsu. It allows one to reawaken the body to its own natural properties, and to open up the consciousness and set the spirit free. Combative applications are not emphasised.

The kenjutsu is from Shinkage ryu and Itto ryu and is termed "jissen kumitachi."

The taijutsu is Shotokai karate.
    David Kemlo

Likes (received)

Default Yamani Ryu

One school of Okinawan bojutsu is Yamani Ryu, which tends to use more of the length of the bo than most standard "karate" associated Okinawan bojutsu (i.e. one-third grips style bojutsu).

So, if some of shintaido was taken from Yamani Ryu, then it may very well resemble some kukishin ryu bojutsu in some ways. However, Yamani Ryu, from what I have seen tends to still be very Okinawan in flavor and does not seem to share the movement elements of Kukishin Ryu because it was not derived from naginata jutsu as Kukishin was.
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

Likes (received)

I don't know about the kata but at least the kamae looked like they came from Japanese bojutsu and not Okinawa bojutsu.

How about their jojutsu?
    Last edited by George Kohler; 28th January 2006 at 00:11.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Shintaido only practices with the rokushaku bo.
    David Kemlo

Likes (received)

Looks like a person by the name of Haruyoshi Fugaku Ito from shintaido is teaching shintaido jojutsu through seminars and workshops.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Haruyoshi Fugaku Ito holds a 5th dan in Shintaido bojutsu. There isn't any mention of jo being practiced in Shintaido. Perhaps a very new addition/modification? It would still be based on the Okinawan background of the curriculum.
    David Kemlo

Likes (received)

David, there are pictures of members holding/using jo in the galleries of some of the U.S. dojos. See for example this workshop on Jo gallery.

I haven't yet found anything on their websites about the jo and where it comes from, but then again, I haven't really looked.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

I'm no expert, but I do know that Egami, who was one of the senior-most people in the Shotokai, was also an Aikido-ka. Is it possible that if they are using jo, it's based on Aiki-jo?
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Speaking with friends in Japan who practice Shintaido, I was told that regional branches are allowed to adapt and adopt as they see fit. The Americans it seems have adopted the use of jo. The curriculum doesn't refer to jo specifically, but jo may be used rather than the longer rokushaku bo. As for the postures and techniques practiced - it is all based on Okinawan karate.
    David Kemlo

Likes (received)

Thanks for the info!
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Just to clear things up a bit, training in jo is included in Shintaido Bojutsu starting from 2 kyu. (The curriculum can be found at http://www.shintaido.org/docs/program_bojutsu.htm). There is some regional adaptation as Hattori mentioned, but the use of jo is common to the international curriculum established by the Shintaido International Technical Committee.
    - David Franklin