Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Suio ryu kogusoku

Likes (received)

Default Suio Ryu Kogusoku

Mr. Brian Stokes-

Jumping off from the San Diego thread - do you mind describing a little of the Suio ryu Kogusoku here?

How extensive is the kogusoku curriculum? What is the general philosophy of close combat? Is there a favored weapon (weapons) in kogusoku? How does it integrate with the sword work (do the sword kata contain close combat elements as well or is it pretty much confined to the kogusoku kata?)

Is there a "continuum" of sorts of early battlefield oriented stuff and more unarmed/unarmored Edo period jujutsu stuff?

Thanks for your time.

Likes (received)

Default Suio Kogusoku

Hello,
    I'm not Brian...but you can view a short video on Suio Kogusoku here: http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~nck/suiou/30th/index.htm ... it's the last video on that page. According to Kendo World's article on Suio Ryu there are: 9 kogusoku kata. Also 12 wakizashi kata that involves some grappling. Also the kendo world article mentions 3 knife taking kata...

William Kang
    William Kang

Likes (received)

Thanks Will, I'll head over to Kendo World.

Likes (received)

Default Kogusoku

Hello,

Just ran across this thread. To answer your questions, and mind you, this is from my knowledge base only, there are between 18 and 36 kogusoku techniques. I have not seen them all, ergo I do not know how many there are. Some I will never see as they are passed down from Soke to Soke only.

The Suio Ryu is a sogo bujutsu, wherein all of the techniques inter-relate. One can transfer the knowledge learned from waki to sword to jo to naginata to whatever weapon (or none) you happen to have in your hand. All aspects of the Ryu connect with one another.

This inter-connection of techniques is not limited to the Suio Ryu. Many of the old traditions (c. before 1650 CE as I define the term "old" and as it relates to the JSA) operate in a similar fashion. I know little about the Ryuha established after that date (in fact I know little about those established before it) so I cannot speak with any authority on the basis of their approach to training in the various weapons.

As an aside, Suio jo dates to around 1600 CE. As far as I know, save for the kusarigama as introduced to the system by the 9th Soke, there is no Edo period modifications to the tradition.

Note, and I reiterate, this is from personal knowledge garnered to date, but subject to change, without notice. So, don't quote me on it. I always "stand to be corrected."

Brian Stokes