Likes Likes:  0

Thread: nyc judo dojo?

Likes (received)

Default nyc judo dojo?

looking for one, these were all i could find...

im wary of places that teach so many disciplines of m.a. . the whole, we can teach everything attitude seems a bit sketchy...
    http://www.kokushibudo.com/

pricey, but worth a look see.
    http://www.oishi-judo.com/
    Chris Wren

MarkF Guest

I know Oishi is a bit pricey but as it is in NYC, it isn't all that bad, actually. There is always the option of paying a daily mat fee. Also pricey perhaps just as good but not better

Higashi, the instructor in the other dojo listed is a member of the US Judo Federation. I know how you feel, but people sometimes have to team up of they want a dojo in the first place.

He is recognized in Japan and by the USJF. Oishi, as far as I know is a USJF 6-dan. I don't think you could do better (more cheaply, perhaps but not better).

Mark
    Last edited by MarkF; 30th January 2006 at 10:30.

Likes (received)

Both Oishi and Higashi are solid instructors. In fact Higashi, being a bit older, was judge for more then a few of Oishi's competitions as noted in the pictures Oishi keeps up in the dojo.

Higashi's collection of Arts are mostly complementary material more then a mixed bag set. The Aikido material comes from Kenji Tomiki with an eye towards teaching the material to better flesh out a Judoists' overall martial training and the Jujustu system Higashi established is designed to integrate and provide a common language for the Judo, Aikido and Karate he teaches. His first love, and he'll tell you the same, is now and has always been Judo.

Oishi's dojo is a bit more conveniently placed and it is a very large and varied school in terms of the practitioners. Consider doing a few sessions there before commiting to anything and see if the place and practice works for you.
    James P Fitzsimmons

Likes (received)

Default George Pasiuk

As of about 3 years ago anyway, George Pasiuk was teaching three times a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays if I'm not mistaken) in a space called Biwako Dojo on St. Mark's Place, between 1st and 2nd Aves, in the East Village. I don't know if the dojo is still there, much less whether Mr. Pasiuk is still teaching there. Also, regrettably I never trained there myself but I heard rave reviews of it from a friend. I think Pasiuk charged something like $30. a month.

Oishi Sensei is great, but the fees are onerous -- just part and parcel of running a full-time dojo in downtown New York, I guess.
    Eric Baluja

Fukai kiri teme mo motenai kaku reru daizan.

Likes (received)

Default Late Class

Is anybody aware of a judo dojo in NYC that has classes in the later hours. The dojo I found all start class before 7. I contacted Columbia University Judo and that is only open to members of Columbia.

Thank you.
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

Default Recently Figured Out

I just figured out that McBurney has classes starting at 8:30 and 8:15 Tuesday and Thursday.
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

I know this post is pretty old but we just opened a dojo in Massapequa, Long Island. The Combat Judo Academy, our classes start at 8:00pm and end at 10:00pm. it's right at the Massapequa Train Station.

If you are interested PM me or click the link in my signature.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
    Good Luck

Combat Judo Academy
    Richard Scholl
    "It's about heart above all." Saito, Hitoshi 7th Dan
    http://www.combatjudo.us