Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Iai kata videos requested

Likes (received)

Default Iai kata videos requested

Bore Da, Good Morning to you all.

Can any of you iaidoka inform me of any websites showing videos/snippets/images of reputible, traditional iai kata and/or waza? No bad or baffling budo please; I've seen enough of that on this site already!
    Some of you may already know me as a student of an iaido school which may be a load of old bunk and I'm just trying to compare the kata/waza techniques they they teach to official MSR/MJER etc.

Diolch yn fawr,
    Thanks for your help.

Likes (received)

Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Default iai katas

There are very much of highquality iai katas in internet. There are also lot of McDojo stuff...so if you like to find some, just search from google and yahoo videos.

I have fould atleast following schools from net(video clips and larger videos):

-Tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu: Both Otake Risuke´s mainline and Sugino Senseis.

-Kashima shin ryu iai

-Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu

-Muso Shinden ryu

-Shinshin Sekiguchi ryu

-Mugai ryu

-Yagyu Shinkage ryu

-Aiki toho iai (Nishio sensei´s iai katas)

-Takeda ryu

-Seitei iai

I have lot of other iai videoclips (hundreds) but those are not from the net...
    Sami Hyvärinen

Likes (received)

Jean de Mézerville

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by treesurfer78
    ...I'm just trying to compare the kata/waza techniques they they teach to official MSR/MJER etc.
    The problem is that you may be comparing apples to oranges. (Or Golden Delicious apples to Granny Smith apples, at the very least.)

The kata of different systems can vary from each other widely. Shinkage Ryu, Eishin Ryu, and Katori Shinto Ryu all have iai/batto kata (some original within their systems and some adopted from other systems), and they are quite distinctive.

So looking at videos may not tell you what you want to know unless the dojo you attend is teaching (or claiming to teach) the same kata as you see on the video.

Is your dojo teaching MSR or MJER?
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default My dojo teaches...

Hi Brian,

My dojo has been the topic of another topic. Take a look at their website and see if you can tell me what they teach, ha ha!! They claim to teach three or four styles but they make up their own kata and techniques.

http://www.bujin-ryu.com

Cheers

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by treesurfer78
    ...they make up their own kata and techniques.
    And that's my point.

Looking at videos of MSR and MJER won't tell you much about your own school if it's not a MSR or MJER school.

If you haven't come to any conclusions already (and I thought in another thread you said you were going elsewhere), then I don't think looking at shots of Seitei Mae or MSR Nukiutsuke or whatever is going to do much more.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

The best thing to do is visit another school or have someone visit yours.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Smile

Aloha, Yoj. I'd like to thank you for posting that MSR video link. My wife & I had Maeda-Sensei & his wife over for dinner last week, & after viewing those old clips, he decided that we could provide some much clearer iaido video.

This afternoon before practice, I taped two views each of Sensei performing MJER shoden & batto -- one view from the front & the other from 45 degrees to his left -- using my pro-level 3-CCD miniDV camera. The only glitch came when I started to transfer the video to my big computer system...& the two-month-old motherboard died! I spent an hour talking with Dell tech support, & they're mailing me a replacement board to install, but it'll now probably be a week before I can edit that video .

Anyway, once Sensei approves it, I'll post the video to our dojo's Web-site, http://www.kaifukan.org. Hopefully, he'll let me load it onto our public area where I can point anyone who's interested. Sensei is Kendo Renshi hachidan & Iaido yondan, by the way. I'll probably shoot the chuden & okuden segments in a month or so. And eventually, I'll add tameshigiri katas.

My long-range plan is to create a detailed training DVD that can take our beginning students from wearing the gi, hakama, & obi; to very basic sword-handling; to rei; & then to the MJER katas all the way through okuden. Not that I think that there's any way for a student to learn solely from a DVD, but I remember how many times Linda & I went back & looked at the Seitei Iai videotape when we were first starting iaido -- not that many years ago. A clear visualization & understanding of each kata would have been a great help! I'm debating on whether to include a voice-over explaining each waza, or just show a brief written explanation.

My only problem is that Sensei has decided to omit Seitei Iai from the dojo's training regimen, & I can't convince him otherwise. Including the Seitei Iai katas would make the DVD much more complete. Any idea on how to change Sensei's mind (while leaving me intact)?
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Ken, If he is ZNIR rather than ZNKR you have no chance....although you may get the ZNIR alternative to seitei if you ask nicely!
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...