Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "The hammer" of aikido

Likes (received)

Default "The hammer" of aikido

Recently one of the senior instructors in our dojo returned after an 8 month absence due to painful phlebitis in his leg & foot. Dr David Jones is anthropology professor at U of Central Florida, author of several books including "Martial Arts Training in Japan" (for gaijin), and wrote the forward in Saotome's first book "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature."

During class after he had clapped and everyone returned seated in seiza, he said (and please forgive the paraphrazing of my surviving brain cell LeRoy): "Hand someone a hammer and what will they do with it? Even a toddler will hit hit something with it. That's what a hammer is for. Now hand someone that hammer and tell him 'this is George Washington's hammer.' Folks will go 'Wooooooooo. . .' and the chances are they won't dare to use it.

"Why? Because if it's George Washingon's hammer it is a revered entity of great historical value and worth. We wouldn't think of just bashing something with it, not only because we might damage it, but its essence will have transcended the normal essence of a hammer.

"Aikido is like that hammer. What is aikido to you? Is it just a hammer to bash something, here a martai art opponent, or is it George Washington's hammer? Aikido has come down to us from The Founder and his great deshi as something of great value, tradition and worth. If you come to the dojo only to enhance your fighting skills and intent on bashing something, that is the most immature level of training. You choose to make yourself the toddler with the hammer. We have been handed George Washington's hammer and trusted with it. It's up to all of us how we envision it and use it in our lives."

Doc always gives us food for thought. I found this metaphor compelling, especially after his long absence. I've trained with him long enough to know that he is not saying don't train to use aikido in the world; it is still, as he oft reminds us, a MARTIAL art. He's referring to our mindset. When we enter the dojo we pick up George washington's hammer.

What do we then do with it?

Gil Gillespie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Gillespie
    Recently one of the senior instructors in our dojo returned after an 8 month absence due to painful phlebitis in his leg & foot. Dr David Jones is anthropology professor at U of Central Florida, author of several books including "Martial Arts Training in Japan" (for gaijin), and wrote the forward in Saotome's first book "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature."

During class after he had clapped and everyone returned seated in seiza, he said (and please forgive the paraphrazing of my surviving brain cell LeRoy): "Hand someone a hammer and what will they do with it? Even a toddler will hit hit something with it. That's what a hammer is for. Now hand someone that hammer and tell him 'this is George Washington's hammer.' Folks will go 'Wooooooooo. . .' and the chances are they won't dare to use it.

"Why? Because if it's George Washingon's hammer it is a revered entity of great historical value and worth. We wouldn't think of just bashing something with it, not only because we might damage it, but its essence will have transcended the normal essence of a hammer.

"Aikido is like that hammer. What is aikido to you? Is it just a hammer to bash something, here a martai art opponent, or is it George Washington's hammer? Aikido has come down to us from The Founder and his great deshi as something of great value, tradition and worth. If you come to the dojo only to enhance your fighting skills and intent on bashing something, that is the most immature level of training. You choose to make yourself the toddler with the hammer. We have been handed George Washington's hammer and trusted with it. It's up to all of us how we envision it and use it in our lives."

Doc always gives us food for thought. I found this metaphor compelling, especially after his long absence. I've trained with him long enough to know that he is not saying don't train to use aikido in the world; it is still, as he oft reminds us, a MARTIAL art. He's referring to our mindset. When we enter the dojo we pick up George washington's hammer.

What do we then do with it?

Gil Gillespie
    Hello Gil,

I am not an American and and I know very little about American history, so the cultural resonance of aikido as a hammer, via George Washington, is pretty well lost on me.

I was much more concerned about Dr Jones and his phlebitis. My grandmother died of it: he recovered (I hope), and so I wonder if it is something I can look forward to as I grow older.

Nevertheless, I think your post shows the importance of metaphor in aikido training. With respect to the practical value of thinking in metasphors, I have remarked before that there is interesting research done, for example, on whether and how the degree to which the metaphorical terms in which a disease like cancer or AIDS is conceived by a patient influences the patient's recovery, or not.

In aikido, there is a whole lot of discussion going on about the supposed relationship between aikido and 'internal' martial arts. M Ueshiba supposedly 'had' the knowledge of 'internal' arts exemplified by certain Chinese martial arts, but never talked about it beyond the 'code' discernible in his douka and this lack has never been rectified by his deshi (pace the discussions by K Tohei concerning KI). So one can argue that aikido lacks a metaphorical structure for describing that 'internal' component of aikido training that is amenable to description in terms of CM metaphors (always assuming that the component is common).

Any thoughts about this, Gil, or anyone?

Best wishes to all,
    Last edited by P Goldsbury; 3rd February 2006 at 12:51.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Wow. That's an excellent analogy. I'll definitely remember this.
    Krzysztof M. Mathews
    http://www.firstgearterritories.com

Every place around the world it seemed the same
    Can't hear the rhythm for the drums
    Everybody wants to look the other way
    When something wicked this way comes

"Jeremiah Blues, Part 1"
    Sting-The Soul Cages

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kolschey
    Wow. That's an excellent analogy. I'll definitely remember this.
    Sure, but why would someone training in Malaysia, for example, or Iraq, think of aikido as a hammer because George Washington had used a hammer?

I live in Japan and want to emphasize in any further discussion that there is a cultural and metaphorical component to aikido that goes way beyond the way it is practised in the USA.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury
    Sure, but why would someone training in Malaysia, for example, or Iraq, think of aikido as a hammer because George Washington had used a hammer?

I live in Japan and want to emphasize in any further discussion that there is a cultural and metaphorical component to aikido that goes way beyond the way it is practised in the USA.

Best wishes,
    Hello Mr. Goldsbury,

I guess an applicable analogy would be like this:

Giving a student a moderately made katana and letting him cut through straw, bamboo, etc. Then handing the student a katana and telling him/her that it is the very blade that Musashi (insert any famous swordsman here) used. The analogy being that the student uses the first blade like a regular tool but because of the historical significance of the second, is not apt to use it.

Personally, I don't see the analogy as useful, but that's me. (Whether I'm just not "there yet" to understand it fully or maybe I have the wrong definition/understanding of the analogy)

Hope that helped,
    Mark

Likes (received)

Best wishes,
    The example of George Washington is used only to give weight and importance to the otherwise material hammer. GW was a planter and soldier by occupation, not a metal smith or carpenter. However, he is a cultural icon whose property is deemed to have some added value simply because it was his. Thus, I see the metaphor as translatable.

To use a similar example: It is easy to purchase a sports jersey with a professional player's team logo, name, and number on it. It is a rarity to possess a jersey actually worn by that player. Having obtained such a rarity, would you wear this jersey or would you hang it on your wall?

While some things have great worth to one man but not to another, the idea is to present a historical figure most would identify with greatness and thus cherish.
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

If George Washington suddenly appeared and saw such reverence towards a hammer that he once used to pound a few nails, he would probably feel that person was acting a bit silly....... would you instead use a rock to pound in a nail if a perfectly good hammer was sitting beside you?
    If you had a perfectly good weapon to defend yourself, but that weapon was once used by a famous teacher, would you choose death before using the tool?
    if you had paper that contained precious knowledge passed down for centuries; would you use it as tinder to start a fire to save yourself from freezing, or would you pick death?

My father has tools that belonged to his father that were in use long before he was born.....and will probably be passed to me. He still uses those tools because they are of high quality and do the job they were intended to do quite well........they may hold some significant historical value to a plumber or electrician or other tradesman because of their age and how they represent a historical period. They remain in good condition because he doesnt use a wrench as a hammer, or a screwdriver as a chisel. If my grandfather was to suddenly appear and see those tools hung on a wall in a place of prominence.....he would probably have some choice words to dish out.

When someone begins a martial arts journey they are like a toddler with a hammer......always wanting to pull it out and show it off and show people how easy it is to break and smash things and use for jobs it was not intended..
    As we grow up, we tend to see tools for what they are.....not toys, you learn how to use them, and put them away when not in use.........but they are a tool.
    IMO, the teachings are the important part......the teachings are the "hammer".
    The teachings are something that can lose a bit with every person it is passed onto.....so it is important to take the teachings to heart and do your best to pass them on as they were taught to you....or knowledge is lost.
    Shawn Bailey

Likes (received)

[QUOTE=Murray]Hello Mr. Goldsbury,

I guess an applicable analogy would be like this:

Giving a student a moderately made katana and letting him cut through straw, bamboo, etc. Then handing the student a katana and telling him/her that it is the very blade that Musashi (insert any famous swordsman here) used.

The analogy being that the student uses the first blade like a regular tool but because of the historical significance of the second, is not apt to use it.[QUOTE=Murray]

Whyever not? I would have thought that the whole point of giving the student the second blade is that the cut with it would be much better than with the first. Similarly, a violinist given the chance to use a Stradivarius might well make better use of his (limited) skills in conjunction with the possibilities afforded by the quality of this instrument to produce a better piece of music than with his usual violin.

Of course, you might respond that aikido is closer to using a hammer than to playing a piece of music with a Stradivarius. To which I would respond that the whole point of Gil's analogy is that you do not use the hammer because it is Washington's hammer.

But why not? Gil's answer is that Washington's hammer was of such awesone significance that no one would ever use it. The reason, and thus the point of the analogy, is missing for me.

I initially thought that the initial force of the analogy was that kids would pick up a hammer and smash whatever was in range, but that adults would realize that it was Washington's hammer, with all that this implied, and thus never use it. However, I think the analogy, as used, misses some important steps. Children play with hammers and can do much harm. Adults also use hammers in various ways and can also do much harm (such as murdering people, for example). The jump from children playing with hammers and adults refraining from using a certain hammer because Washington used it is too direct, in my opinion.

Of course, I am not criticizing Dr Jones here. He used the analogy in his class. He felt that it was appropriate, and the class also appreciated this. I am simply questioning the validity of the analogy outside a certain rather narroewly defined cultural context.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Spinelli
    The example of George Washington is used only to give weight and importance to the otherwise material hammer. GW was a planter and soldier by occupation, not a metal smith or carpenter. However, he is a cultural icon whose property is deemed to have some added value simply because it was his. Thus, I see the metaphor as translatable.

To use a similar example: It is easy to purchase a sports jersey with a professional player's team logo, name, and number on it. It is a rarity to possess a jersey actually worn by that player. Having obtained such a rarity, would you wear this jersey or would you hang it on your wall?

While some things have great worth to one man but not to another, the idea is to present a historical figure most would identify with greatness and thus cherish.
    Well. before he came to live in the US, I used to visit Chiba Sensei at his home in Shizuoka. I was always very well looked after. Mitsuko-san was the perfecthost and a kimono and bath were always ready when I arrived. One day, after talking for a while, Chiba Sensei said, "Peter, let us train together." Our meetings were always 'political' and I had no keikogi, but Mitsuko-san produced a set of Chiba Sensei's keikogi and obi for me to wear.

Of course, Chiba Sensei could have given me his training suit and obi, but I certainly would have worn it, as I believehe would have expected me to do.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Mark Murray Guest

Whyever not? I would have thought that the whole point of giving the student the second blade is that the cut with it would be much better than with the first. Similarly, a violinist given the chance to use a Stradivarius might well make better use of his (limited) skills in conjunction with the possibilities afforded by the quality of this instrument to produce a better piece of music than with his usual violin.

(snip)

But why not? Gil's answer is that Washington's hammer was of such awesone significance that no one would ever use it. The reason, and thus the point of the analogy, is missing for me.
    My take on it is not that the hammer, nor the blade, nor the violin are "quality" items. But that the hammer, the blade, and the violin are "priceless" items that can never be replaced. Hence, if Washington used only that hammer, then there is only one. If Musashi used only one blade, then there is only one. So, in that light/understanding, if a student is given that hammer, that blade, then they are apt not to use it.

In the analogy, you could substitute the examples of hammer and blade with just about anything, so long as it is an item that can not be replaced. But, you can't use a Stradivarius violin because, while expensive, it can be replaced. Breaking a hammer used by Washington can't be replaced because there is only one. It's in that context that I took the analogy.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnBailey
    When someone begins a martial arts journey they are like a toddler with a hammer......always wanting to pull it out and show it off and show people how easy it is to break and smash things and use for jobs it was not intended..
    As we grow up, we tend to see tools for what they are.....not toys, you learn how to use them, and put them away when not in use.........but they are a tool.
    IMO, the teachings are the important part......the teachings are the "hammer".
    The teachings are something that can lose a bit with every person it is passed onto.....so it is important to take the teachings to heart and do your best to pass them on as they were taught to you....or knowledge is lost.
    Mr Bailey,

You are using a metaphor here, which you seem to take for granted, but I am questioning the basis FOR ME, HERE IN JAPAN, of Gil Gillespie's, and/or Dr Jones' use of a hammer (used by children but not by adults because they understand the significance of the hammer as used by George Washington) as a tool for understanding aikido training.

I appreciate the efforts of people to enlighten me about the actual use of Washington's metaphor, but I seriously question whether aikidoists outside the US will understand the metaphor.

I am not being PC here, either. I am using Gil's post to raise a general issue about the metaphorical constraints (constraints determined by the values of a specific culture) on how we understand aikido.

Best regards to all,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Murray
    In the analogy, you could substitute the examples of hammer and blade with just about anything, so long as it is an item that can not be replaced. But, you can't use a Stradivarius violin because, while expensive, it can be replaced. Breaking a hammer used by Washington can't be replaced because there is only one. It's in that context that I took the analogy.
    Hello Mark,

Point taken, but what would be the point of using the analogy of one unique hammer, that cannot be relaced, with its supposed correspondent in aikido training?

In the analogy kids can use any old hammer to smash with, but adults never use THE hammer that is never to be used, because it is Washington's unique hammer. So, again what is the point of the analogy?

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Mark Murray Guest

Hello Mark,

Point taken, but what would be the point of using the analogy of one unique hammer, that cannot be relaced, with its supposed correspondent in aikido training?

In the analogy kids can use any old hammer to smash with, but adults never use THE hammer that is never to be used, because it is Washington's unique hammer. So, again what is the point of the analogy?
    LOL! And that's where I'm at. Either I'm just not at a point where I can understand the analogy or it just doesn't work for me. But, I can't transition the analogy over to aikido training either (But, I do see where you can substitute items to create the analogy for someone in another culture.) Maybe someone else can explain in more detail?

Likes (received)

Mr Bailey,

You are using a metaphor here, which you seem to take for granted, but I am questioning the basis FOR ME, HERE IN JAPAN, of Gil Gillespie's, and/or Dr Jones' use of a hammer (used by children but not by adults because they understand the significance of the hammer as used by George Washington) as a tool for understanding aikido training.

I appreciate the efforts of people to enlighten me about the actual use of Washington's metaphor, but I seriously question whether aikidoists outside the US will understand the metaphor.

I am not being PC here, either. I am using Gil's post to raise a general issue about the metaphorical constraints (constraints determined by the values of a specific culture) on how we understand aikido.

Best regards to all,
    i think you missed the significance of my first 2 paragraphs.
    Tools are meant to be used regardless of the source.......but they are meant to be used the way they are intended.
    Who cares where the tool came from.......how you are taught to use the tool in question is important.
    Metaphors tend to be culturally designed, so the lesson it teaches me may have no significance for someone else.....which is exactly the point you are trying to make.

in my second paragraph I talk about the importance of having a piece of family history, and being a part of that history.
    you can take any object you want that is understood to have precious historical value and put it in place of the hammer.
    the hammer has no significance as an object sitting there.........it is simply an object.
    without the teaching, the tool is useless.
    Shawn Bailey

Likes (received)

Hello Mr Bailey,

Thank you for your reply. I have a few more questions.

i think you missed the significance of my first 2 paragraphs.
    Tools are meant to be used regardless of the source.......but they are meant to be used the way they are intended.
    Who cares where the tool came from.......how you are taught to use the tool in question is important.
    Metaphors tend to be culturally designed, so the lesson it teaches me may have no significance for someone else.....which is exactly the point you are trying to make.
    If tools are meant to be used regardless of the source, why would the fact that the hammer was first used by Washington be of any significance? It was just a hammer and, according to your argument, the fact that it was Geroge Washington's hammer is of no significance whatever for aikido.

in my second paragraph I talk about the importance of having a piece of family history, and being a part of that history.
    you can take any object you want that is understood to have precious historical value and put it in place of the hammer.
    the hammer has no significance as an object sitting there.........it is simply an object.
    without the teaching, the tool is useless.
    Agreed, but why would the family significance prevent us from using the object in our daily training? I think that this was the point of Gil using Washington's hammer as a metaphor.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast