Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is Science?

Likes (received)

Question

Falling down into layman terms here for one second, as I don't have any formal training or credentials beyond high school (and even that I think I ditched most of the time ).
    Science, from what I gather (and withhold here all the actual scientific methods which get confused quite often with the actual question of what is Science?) is a word to describe the process we go through in order to explain the various aspect of the world we see, and of course the worlds we don't...
    Science, Religions, Philosophies, they are not seperate beings, but rather, to some extent of course, all simply try to do just that - search for answers to give meaning (reasons) for the things that happen around us.
    Let's not forget, science in the beginning had much support from within the church... (only when it became apparent that it is, um, different from the teachings they kinda like started rejecting it).
    anyways, just my two cents here, and a dime, and an agora if anyone cares what it is
    -Amir Barak

"You get what you pay for, But I had no intention of living this way" - Adam Duritz

Likes (received)

Default Google doesn't tell

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma
    just my two cents here, and a dime, and an agora if anyone cares what it is
    Why, sure we care.

Um.....is an agora bigger than a breadbox?

Google does not seem to tell what it is.

Please do.
    David Orange, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
    Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

Actually, it isn't bigger, but it taste kinda like the same (don't ask how I know, just trust me ).
    Its the smallest coin (out of circulation at this point I think) in Israel, equals to about 1/100 of a quarter...
    -Amir Barak

"You get what you pay for, But I had no intention of living this way" - Adam Duritz

Likes (received)

Fro those who do not know what agora means, it is a Greek term meaning assembly.or place of asembly, like a market place.

I have even heard the word used here in Japan, to mean a general discussion which does not result in any decision, rather like what happens in these forums.

EDIT: Inazuma is right as well. See Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, Vol. p.43.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma
    Actually, it isn't bigger, but it taste kinda like the same (don't ask how I know, just trust me ).
    Its the smallest coin (out of circulation at this point I think) in Israel, equals to about 1/100 of a quarter...
    agora......aggghhhhhhh.......mmmmmmm

sounds tasty

and valuable!!!

Actually, I have a shekel somewhere in one of my archive boxes. Or maybe it's 100 shekels...a little larger than a US quarter, I guess.

Ever run into any Feldenkrais people over there? The world headquarters is in Tel Aviv, I believe.
    David Orange, Jr.

Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

Default So it's NOT ANGORA-phobia???

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury
    Fro those who do not know what agora means, it is a Greek term meaning assembly.or place of asembly, like a market place.
    Aha! That must be the source of "agoraphobia" as "fear of crowds".

Now if I could only get over my fear of...well...the dictionary says an angora can be a goat, a cat or a rabbit! Now I'm really jittery!
    David Orange, Jr.

Lao Tzu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2