Likes Likes:  0

Thread: jiu jitsu school in Toronto

Likes (received)

Default jiu jitsu school in Toronto

Hello
    Am researching taking up another martial art, have studied judo and karate in the past. Was looking at Aikido and have found what appears to be an excellent dojo in Toronto, but after watching a class I learned that they don't do any ground fighting in Aikido, which seems a bit 'limited'. It appears that the philosophy in aikido when attacked, to put it simplistically, is to throw the person and run away. While this is probably the best thing to do when possible, what does one do when it is necessary to continue fighting?
    I had a friend a few years ago who was a black belt in Judo who said that in classical judo there is a lot of jiu-jitsi-like stuff, but that this doesn't get taught anymore. Can anyone recommend a good jiu jitsu dojo in Toronto, preferably in the east end? I'm not looking for anything flashy or macho – I'm too old for that (age 44). Nor do I think I can really deal with Judo, I think it would be too physically demanding. Ideally would like something which combines a bit of striking training and karate-like kata, but keeping the aikido focus on using the opponent's weight and force against him, and at the same time integrating judo or jiu-jitsu work in submission. Am I asking too much?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any response.
    David Nelson
    David Nelson

MarkF Guest

Am I asking too much?

At this point, you may be asking too much, so try aikido for a while, or even better would be an aikido dojo that has separate classes in ground grappling. I find this is becoming more and more common in the last several years. Ask them if anyone there holds BJJ or judo-style groundwork at the dojo. If the aikido dojo is excellent, however, why "throw" it out over a relatively benign reason. Sign up and start after trying a class or two, making sure not to sign long term contracts.

You are not the only one on E-budo that started aikido at your age, so you may get the answers you need. I've known shodan in their seventies in judo. I'm ten years your senior but I have almost always done the same thing, and it isn't aikido. Still, it would probably be a good idea to try a class or two before signing up (and do not sign any long-term contracts even if they let you pay monthly).

Later, you can "throw" yourself back into judo or BJJ (I am making the assumption that you mean BJJ because of how you are spelling it). Ask if you might not go to the classes where newaza is emphasized. Aikido does train using atemi, just as judo does, but you probably know how difficult it is to find judo dojo who really know the atemi--waza well. It has a different purpose than striking of most karate styles. It is meant to off-balance uke rather than finish him, though the kata do contain some atemi finishing waza.

And do not make the mistake of only checking the Internet. This can limit your choices. Not all of them have more than a mention on someone else's list/web site. You'll find the right combination. While you may think you do not have the time to get everything in, start with one then add something else.

Good luck to you,

Mark
    Last edited by MarkF; 13th February 2006 at 13:30.

Likes (received)

Depending on how far east you are willing to go, Darrell Lafrance has an excellent jiu jitsu school focusing on grappling in Pickering http://www.kumojiujitsu.com/main2.htm . You might try looking for Tom Sharkey, he has a well rounded jiu jitsu curriculum, couldn't find a website on a quick google search. I believe there is some Hakko Densho taught in the Halton-Peel area. Check the Canadian Jiu jitsu Association website
    http://www.canadianjiujitsu.com/ or the Canadian jiu jitsu council website
    http://www.jiujitsucouncil.ca/ for clubs that might be closer to you.
    Cris Anderson

All my best ideas were stolen by the Ancients.

Likes (received)

Default Hakko Denshin Ryu

In Oshawa, www.bujutsu.ca
    Dan McLean

Likes (received)

try: www.seibukan.ca

Regards
    Flemming Madsen