Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shambhala

Likes (received)

Default Shambhala

I know its not Japanese, so maybe not directly relevant to the website. However it is relevant to meditation.

I've been meditating on my own for a while. It got to the point where I thought I'd like to look around see what was available locally to expand my practice.

Theres a local meditation group starting this week - Shambhala (Sacred Path of the Warrior). The group is lead by someone Buddhist based but states what he teaches will be applicable whether you're religious or not.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of Shambhala and could help me on whether to go down this path?
    Garry Needham

Likes (received)

Default Tibettan?

Quote Originally Posted by Garryn
    Just wondered if anyone had experience of Shambhala and could help me on whether to go down this path?
    I think it may be Tibettan Buddhist.

I don't know what kind of meditation they do.

The Tibettans I've met were nice folks.

Can't hurt to stop in and get the feel of the place.
    David Orange, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
    Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

Default Shambhala Training

Was instituted as a more accessible and secular approach to meditation by the late -- and quite controversial -- Chogyam Trungpa, who was regarded by his followers as a Rinpoche (literally "precious jewel," more loosely "incarnate lama") and lineage holder in the Karma Kagyu school of Tibetan Tantric Buddhism.

Some folks swear by it, others of us prefer our Buddhist teachings straight up.

My personal recommendation is that if you're interested in getting a grounding in basic meditation practice, then starting out with basic meditation practice in the theravada or mahayana traditions is probably a better idea than starting out in a crypto-tantric tradition.

Ultimately, it comes down to a question of the "fit" between you and the teaching situation. Depending on where you are located, I might be able to make some suggestions. Feel free to pm if you like.

Likes (received)

Default Rinpoche

Quote Originally Posted by kokumo
    Some folks swear by it, others of us prefer our Buddhist teachings straight up.
    I know some musicians who were heavily influenced by Tibettan Buddhism a long time ago. Very interesting people. But I've barely looked at it, myself. I have taken the basic zazen approach. But I did know a Tibettan, Geshi Dorjee, by name, and always enjoyed having him around.

I want to advise you, though, be very careful in the days ahead or you may suddenly turn 50.

It happened to me just recently.

Best wishes.
    David Orange, Jr.

Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

If what you are looking for is simply to meditate...there is no need to get heavily into any religion. There are many different meditation circles/groups available. Go on the internet and research 'Insight meditation'.

If you are looking for Buddhism there are many different paths, and the Tibetan paths are not suited to most. I suggest Zen, or Theraveda.

If Tibetan still 'appeals', I suggest that you research it carefully, and consider one of the 4 authentic schools (vs. Shambala). Guru yoga is a problematic practice for most Westerners.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Default Secular, mostly harmless

As indicated above, Shambhala is based on Tibetan Buddhism, but attempts to secularize the practice, removing many of the more esoteric elements from the overall experience.

Considering the time/place of the origin of the curriculum (kind of a 'kick-start them hippies into dressing better' approach) to what was then a pretty mangy group of seekers, hangers-on and the like, it's okay.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Thanks everyone for your comments

At this point my interest is in meditation. Some aspects of Buddhism interest me, but not enough to follow at this point.
    My practice has been built from a few books I bought, mostly discarded and kept a simple practice of sitting experiencing the breath
    I’ve looked around locally for ways of furthering my understanding and improving my practice. Unfortunately all I’ve found tends to be presented to the beginner with lots of religious terminology and isn’t that local.

I’ve now been to the first session. Seems pretty much as I’d expected. At this stage not much different from what I’m already doing. Although one thing was strange:

At home I sit on my own for 15-30 mins at a time.
    At this session I had 1 person sat to my right and about 8 sat to my left and behind. About 10 mins into the meditation I realised I felt under physical pressure from the left hand side. To the extent my spine and neck felt twisted. When I partially opened my eyes I was upright but the pressure remained.
    This was uncomfortable to the point where I nearly stood up and moved to the back of the room.
    Fortunately we then had a walking meditation (something I hadn’t done before) followed by another seated meditation. This time no ‘negative’ effects.

I feel this was probably due to the presence of the others? I don’t know, but it has given me questions. Maybe next time there I'll start getting answers.
    Garry Needham

Likes (received)

Did you use your own pillow (from home)? Sitting incorrectly, or old injuries, can manifest themselves this way on a different pillow.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

It was requested that you bring something to sit on. I was sat in the same way I normally sit at home and on what I normally sit on ....

Maybe my posture wasn't as good as I thought it was...
    Garry Needham

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garryn
    It was requested that you bring something to sit on. I was sat in the same way I normally sit at home and on what I normally sit on ....

Maybe my posture wasn't as good as I thought it was...
    Wherever you go, joining a group or not, I always recommend one book to people: "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind," by Shunryu Suzuki. I just think it's the best book on meditation there is.

Good luck.
    David Orange, Jr.

Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

We have a Shambhala group near me, and I know a member or two and while invited...just don't have that 'pull' towards that line. Just to be clear, I personally don't have anything against Shambhala...and Chogyam Trungpa wrote some incredible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kenkyusha
    As indicated above, Shambhala is based on Tibetan Buddhism, but attempts to secularize the practice, removing many of the more esoteric elements from the overall experience.

Considering the time/place of the origin of the curriculum (kind of a 'kick-start them hippies into dressing better' approach) to what was then a pretty mangy group of seekers, hangers-on and the like, it's okay.

Be well,
    Jigme
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Wink No offense taken

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan
    We have a Shambhala group near me, and I know a member or two and while invited...just don't have that 'pull' towards that line. Just to be clear, I personally don't have anything against Shambhala...and Chogyam Trungpa wrote some incredible stuff.
    Trungpa Rinpoche did write some neat stuff... he was also... interesting. Despite the fact that he was my parent's main teacher for a long time (and my preceptor for Refuge Vows) it'd be hard not to look at the whole picture...

Shambhala training is fine for what it is, a secular introduction to meditation w/out the trappings of Rime (Mahamudra and Mahaati transmissions).

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenkyusha
    Trungpa Rinpoche did write some neat stuff... he was also... interesting. Despite the fact that he was my parent's main teacher for a long time (and my preceptor for Refuge Vows) it'd be hard not to look at the whole picture...

Shambhala training is fine for what it is, a secular introduction to meditation w/out the trappings of Rime (Mahamudra and Mahaati transmissions).

Be well,
    Jigme
    Agreed. I'm for whatever gets folks to sit on the cushion, so long as they don't check their bovine fecal material monitors at the meditation hall door.

Best,

FL

Likes (received)

Myyyy goodness...what folk's don't say around here.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan
    Myyyy goodness...what folk's don't say around here.
    That's because the board owners have filtering software in place that replaces what people MIGHT say with a string of exclamation points if they DO say it.

I think of it as George and John's encouragement of artful language....

FL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast