Likes Likes:  0

Thread: John Cornish to retire after 52 years

Likes (received)

Default John Cornish to retire after 52 years

John Cornish Sensei, the Aikido instructor of the Budokwai since late 1964, has decided to retire. His last lesson will be given on Friday 19th from 8pm to 10pm at the Budokwai in Gilston Road in Chelsea. Everyone is welcome especially old friends and students.

He studied aikido from early 1958 (arriving at the same time as Chiba Sensei) and left late 1964 to return to London and the Budokwai. He started his martial arts training circa 1950 in judo and some boxing. He was encouraged by Trevor Leggett to go to Japan and enrolled at the Kodokan and the Hombu dojo. He took early morning practice with Osawa Sensei and was used as his uke. He also took lessons from Tohei Sensei, Waka Sensei and O'Sensei whom awarded him his grades. He is also renowned for his judo katas and is one of the first westerners to be awarded a licence to teach and examine in all the katas. Amongst his judo teachers were Mifune Sensei and Tomiki Sensei and he later went on with their permission to write a book on Goshin Ju Jutsu.

He will be remembered for his wisdom and humour as well as his immensely strong technique. Quotes:

If a train is coming...get out of the way
    If you have two legs move two legs and if you have three move three
    You can never be low enough

James

Likes (received)

How styles change

It is interesting to note one of his older students (35-40 years of study) recently said to me John Cornish's style had changed over the years. This senior student had said John Cornish's technique originally was identical to Osawa Sensei's (this student had also had the privilege of seeing Osawa in full flow), which was renowned as smooth, circular and soft. This is understandable as Cornish Sensei was Osawa's Sensei's uke and his other major influence was Tohei Sensei.

Having seen Chiba Sensei on a couple of occasions his style seems to be strong and hard, yet both Chiba Sensei and Cornish Sensei studied at the Hombu at the same time under the same masters. Chiba Sensei was an uchi deshi whilst Cornish Sensei was a soto deshi (spending all the rest of his time at the Kodokan).
    They also emphasize the same points, but they each have their own individual style.

According to this senior student over the years Cornish Sensei's technique became much 'harder'. I can bear witness to this as I was drilled into the mat numerous times (I am over 200lbs and soon realized resistance is futile). He also demonstrated 'soft technique kokyu nage' and once when I was foolish I resisted only to have a very sharp atemi to a locked arm (it took two weeks for my arm to feel better). He later explained what was considered to be 'soft' was actually very strong, but should only be used when the attack is a good attack and resistance often gives opportunities to atemi. This was one of the reasons I studied under him for over 15 years was his emphasis on good strong attacks (it is after all 50% of aikido practice).

James

Likes (received)

I remember an enjoyable visit with Cornish Sensei many years ago. As an aside, I think both judo and aikido are all about "good attacks" one hundred percent of the time... from both sides.

Best regards,
    Chuck Clark
    Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
    http://www.jiyushinkai.org