Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: womens issues

Likes (received)

Default womens issues

Having seen the title ,I thought it would be nice to hear from women who have had Martial arts issues and how they have dealt with them .Jax

Likes (received)

E-Budo requires that you sign your posts with your real name. I doubt you will get any responses to this leading question until you do...dead troll...I mean 'dead doll'.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Well my name is on my profile and I signed my name but if that was breaking the rules im sorry...my question was in no was a leading question,it was just a question.. Im new on this forum,im female ,I have been traing for many years I am interested on other females lives in there dojo and out there on courses and forums .
    Jax English

Likes (received)

Apologies if I came across curt. I realized it afterwards...and only then realized that I didn't seem to have an edit option available.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Talking

apology accepted
    as a female MA ,I have trained all over the world,and really have not really had any problems in a dojo ,apart from the ones we all have like surviving..When I first started I used to have problems,some men just did not want a girl in the dojo,this was a good enough reason to stay..just to annoy the hell out of them I thought we had all moved on from then but Ihave read some things on other forums and think alot of men still feel this ,but they wont say any thing to the girl in the dojo ..only behind the safety of the comp....is this true are men to scared to speak to us as well ?

Likes (received)

also meant to add ,if any new females to MA are having any probs or concerns, just speak out ,I been in the dojo for centuries and might have advice

Likes (received)

Default Women's experiences in dojo

Hi, it is nice to get in some "girl-talk" sometimes. I too have been in various dojo in the US, Canada, and Germany, and there are some wierd things that come up sometimes. Most of the time, I think it's just due to misunderstandings and misconceptions, which everyone should face directly and work to overcome.

I am actually in the process of brainstorming a web-site called budobabe.com, I bought the name last year. I'd be interested in issues to raise, address, and things to talk about.

A few years ago, I wrote a paper called "Putting up with Men" for the Guelph School of Japanese Sword Arts, with Deborah Klens-Bigman's prodding and support. I addressed as many issues as seemed possible, and did a lot of research.
    Enjoy: http://www.ejmas.com/proceedings/GSJSA03dolan.htm

Now, can someone please tell me how to tie a sword obi around a female waist low enough that I can draw, and not have to shove it back down every 10 kata? Ack!

Emily
    EDGordon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by deaddoll
    also meant to add ,if any new females to MA are having any probs or concerns, just speak out ,I been in the dojo for centuries and might have advice
    What have you been training in all these years?

Just to feed the conversation: I got my original rank (shodan 1998) in Aikido, training with Seidokan and Aikikai (Nishio-ryu, yes I know he didn't call it that or want to). I have also dabbled in Wing Tsun, trained in judo (my aikido teacher was a judoka) and love traditional Japanese weapons (sword, jo, naginata and fan). I have trained for the past 4 years in sogo budo with Chuck Gordon (www.the-dojo.com). Having to relearn, forget and reapply much of what I knew before.

I haven't had a female classmate for a couple of years now, but our male students are universally respectful and great to train with.

The biggest problem I have had in years past, and when I visit public dojo, is the invisibility problem. I don't hesitate to aggressively (in a very friendly, let's play! manner) grab a training partner who looks like fun.

-Emily

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by deaddoll
    Well my name is on my profile and I signed my name but if that was breaking the rules im sorry...my question was in no was a leading question,it was just a question.. Im new on this forum,im female ,I have been traing for many years I am interested on other females lives in there dojo and out there on courses and forums .
    Jax English
    Hello,

Welcome to E-Budo. I suggest that you add your name to your signature, which you can do by accessing the User CP and then opening the Edit Signature menu. Your name will always be there and you will not be pestered by moderators like myself, telling you to sign your posts with your name.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Hi Emily
    I started in Wado in 1983, this was the only club around..I then moved and ended up taking Judo after a year I found a Goju club so ended up doing both, after about 6 years the Judo stopped and I took up Kendo of which I did for a about 6 years until the club disbanded.
    All this time I kept Goju going but I did change clubs where we also do Uechi Ryu...I do Kobudo and I have done JuJitsu and Ninjitsu, Kickboxing, muay thai, kyusho..always keeping the Karate and having all the other things as extras..trained alot all over the world, love to go on multi style courses great days out, good giggle...my Goju grade at present is Sandan
    I am lucky to have lots of Female training partners and lots of males and all have great fun..
    Jax English

Likes (received)

Hey,

Im not a woman (i think) but we are having problems getting women into the dojo. They dont seem to want to train. It makes the atmosphere in the dojo too male. Any thoughts on how to change this.

Thanks

John Timmons
    Son of Ironfist
    Ryoshin Dojo
    Dublin
    Ireland

Likes (received)

Enjoy: http://www.ejmas.com/proceedings/GSJSA03dolan.htm

Now, can someone please tell me how to tie a sword obi around a female waist low enough that I can draw, and not have to shove it back down every 10 kata? Ack!

Emily
    EDGordon[/QUOTE]

1) i can't believe i read the whole Linden thread!
    you are evil, and my laundry is soggy and ignored!
    oh, well, you saved me from some housekeeping, so i guess it's ok...

2) i bought the narrowest obi they had. so far, the sword sits on the ridge of bone and stays there. although, i'm long in the body - are you short-waisted? that may affect things...

mew
    Margaret Welsh

"It's more fun when they do it to themselves." Barbara Hambly

Likes (received)

Default Too Male?

Quote Originally Posted by ryoishin
    Hey,
    Im not a woman (i think) but we are having problems getting women into the dojo. They dont seem to want to train. It makes the atmosphere in the dojo too male. Any thoughts on how to change this.
    Hi John,

Wow, Dublin, we're thinking of spending our anniversary week in County Cavan or thereabouts this fall. Haven't ventured into the city much, mostly headed out to the countryside (cities is cities... Houston to Prague..).

Hm, going to have to define "too male" for me. Unless it involves hygiene problems or something, I'm not sure how a dojo could be "too male" for me.
    I've had to change in the broom closet or chase the boys out of the changing room a time or two, but I've never demanded satin pillows or matching wallpaper. If I like the instruction, and want to train, and don't have too much laundry (hi Margaret) I'm there.

I'm not a karate gal, though, so I'll wave this one over to Jax.

-Emily

Likes (received)

Hi Emily - i was also wondering about the 'too male' bit - then i got ... sidetracked...

What's the style? what are the classes like? what are the interactions among students like? between teacher & students?

mew
    Margaret Welsh

"It's more fun when they do it to themselves." Barbara Hambly

Likes (received)

Default Obi and laundry

1) i can't believe i read the whole Linden thread!
    Yeah, that was kind of a train wreck. Inspired me to write the paper, though.

you are evil, and my laundry is soggy and ignored!
    oh, well, you saved me from some housekeeping, so i guess it's ok...
    I'm not evil, I'm just drawn that way.. ;-)
    Anyway housework is much more evil than I will ever be!

2) i bought the narrowest obi they had. so far, the sword sits on the ridge of bone and stays there. although, i'm long in the body - are you short-waisted? that may affect things...
    I'm actually a bit long waisted. I can find my iliac crests without digging much, but I have rather square hips, somehow. I use a medium wide obi (about the width of my hand across the knuckles) and I don't think anything narrower will hold an iaito or shinken. It's good stiff embroidered silk, one of the nice blue and white ones from Japan.

I try to wrap the obi around the hip bones, and anchor it with the hakama, but invariably it climbs up, heading hellbent for whatever up to my natural waist and wadding up my keikogi in the process.

I've threatened to pin it all down with large amounts of Velcro...

-Emily

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast