Likes Likes:  4
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: womens issues

Likes (received)

Default Women in practical combat

Quote Originally Posted by IronMan

When we started sparring I asked them what they were trained in and the list that they gave was pretty impressive, but not nearly as impressive as how they beat their male sparring partners.

I think your right in saying that there is some fear to overcome before equality is really recognized, but I think that before that happens there will need to be some superiority shown.

I think everyone has to overcome some fear in any combat or even contact training.

Encouragement is all well and good, but giving women an icon who is more than just equal to her male competitors will really get people to recognize that women are just as capable as men in the martial arts.
    So. Who would that icon be?
    Not someone imaginary or "magically enhanced" no Xenas or Buffies please.
    Who is our female Bruce Lee?

Michelle Yeo?
    Cagney and Lacey?

I was a big fan of Electra Assassin, but she's not exactly realistic...

ED Gordon

Likes (received)

My vote for impressively iconic mainstream martial arts female is currently going to Casey Marks. I think Cynthia Rothrock is more famous but Casey seems more skilled. Would either one work?

Likes (received)

She is a television heroine, but I'd vote for Emma Peel (or at least Diana Riggs' stunt double, who was a Budokwai yudansha).

As for the woman who put female athleticism all over the mid-20th century sports pages, that's easy -- Babe Didrickson Zaharias. Her motto? Loosen your girdle, and let fly.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ryoishin View Post
    Im not a woman (i think) but we are having problems getting women into the dojo. They dont seem to want to train. It makes the atmosphere in the dojo too male.
    Too male for what?

EDIT: Oop - looks like this question was answered, and I posted before reading. My bad.
    Last edited by ssanutokh; 29th January 2009 at 15:21.
    Carl Hamlin
    -----------------------------------------
    'The etiquette that underlies all martial arts is based on the assumption that the person with whom you are dealing is standing before you wearing three feet of razor sharp steel.' - George Ledyard

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai View Post
    At the end of one class, we all paired off for sparring. When she stepped in front of me, I could tell she was a bit apprehensive about squaring off against me. That in mind, I let her come to me. My instructor just wanted her to get used to actually hitting someone and making contact with another person. So she threw a few punches and started with a few kicks. At one point, she threw a kick and I raised my leg to block like I pretty much always do. She made shin to shin contact, when down and had to be carried off of the mat...

She never returned to class and I am told by my instructor (a female) that this person felt I used excessive force...
    This is not necessarily strictly a women's issue. When I was first getting involved with the Bujinkan, a long-time friend of mine became curious a few months in and decided to attend a few classes himself to see what I was so excited about. During his third class, we had a visiting instructor come in and show us a few things.

My buddy stands about 6 feet even and is one of those lucky folks who's naturally muscular. Big fellow and moves like a tank. The visiting instructor asked him if he could borrow him for a demonstration, and up he went. The technique involved blocking a thrown punch, stepping on his foot, smashing him in the throat with the edge of his palm, and then throwing him full onto his hindquarters. From there he moved into a submission hold involving the wrist, etc...

Although it looked to me and the other folk watching like he'd gone down pretty easy, this was apparently more than my bud had signed on for - he never returned to class and always referred to them thereafter as 'those psychotic bastards'.

I think the idea that everyone who steps onto the mat has a decent idea of what's in store for them is misleading - that's not always the case, regardless of gender.
    Carl Hamlin
    -----------------------------------------
    'The etiquette that underlies all martial arts is based on the assumption that the person with whom you are dealing is standing before you wearing three feet of razor sharp steel.' - George Ledyard

Likes (received)

I am struggling keeping our female students. Having read some out the post here, are there any sure fire way to attack and keep female students?

Likes (received)

Just about any form of exercise will help teach you about all the “limits” that you can overcome, but there’s something about delivering a solid kick or punch that really makes you realize that you can do some serious damage if you need to. In a world where women are unfortunately still treated like the weaker , it’s awesome to know that you can be just as tough than your male… and it’s even more awesome to prove it.

8. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Well said.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

I think of it this way: Can a 250-lb man be brought down with a 1-lb ball thrown at 60 mph? 35 mph? 20 mph?
    Then why not with kicks, strikes and punches at an accelerated velocity from a 120-lb woman who is using a unified/connected body?

The thing is, many folks assume that a woman can't and won't act with aggression when she is attacked. It's a matter of conditioning and training. More than just learning martial technique, women need to be shown how to develop the right mindset for defending themselves, and this has to be done in a methodical and incremental way, especially when working with women and girls who have low levels of androgens/testosterone and/or have been conditioned to be non-aggressive and non-assertive from earliest childhood.
    Cady Goldfield

11. Likes mkrueger, cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

According to me Every woman has full right to learn Martial arts. and being a women I will definitely support all the women, those who are really taking efforts to learn Martial arts.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Chrome View Post
    I am struggling keeping our female students. Having read some out the post here, are there any sure fire way to attack and keep female students?
    I don't know. We have better luck with keeping women students than males these days. Many of the students were mothers who brought in their children for the kids class we have before the adult class. They saw the classes and were interested. The majority of belts belts awarded since 2010 have been women. Women seem to make better students. They actually listen. I hear the same thing from firearms instructors.

In several cases the kids quit but Mom kept working out.
    Ed Boyd

14. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    I don't know. We have better luck with keeping women students than males these days. .
    Same here - I think once they are hooked, women make outstanding students.

One of mine has recently returned after her second maternity leave!
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maro View Post
    Same here - I think once they are hooked, women make outstanding students.

One of mine has recently returned after her second maternity leave!
    !
    that is really great

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10