Likes Likes:  4
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: womens issues

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan
    I think they are only 'issues' if they get in the way of training to a substantial level that they need to be addressed.

'Bleeding'? Give me a break...you might as well be talking about incontinance.

Pregnancy? This is mostly a matter of individual responsibility. I have seen women joggers and athletes training to a point that I considered dangerous and foolhardy while pregnant, but in a 'normal' dojo the student needs to be proactive in informing others of their limits. Not much different than if I am recuperating from an injury.

Boobs? Get a good bra, and learn to keep your elbows down.

You bring up anatomy...I'm more concerned with my aging back and shot cartilage than aging mammary glands.
    lets use the words topics,disscusion and problems then............. are you male or female I ask,sorry cant tell from my name my apology ...
    A new female starting out might find a problem in all the above,and there are alot of female Martial artists on here with alot of advice .and experiance.... as for anatomy,there are many types of martial art and these dont all involve elbows down !!!!!! a post ages ago(sorry cant remember and too lazy to go back.hey im honest) there was a real good bit of advice for a fellow female on here regarding Iado and the towel around the waist,this was interesting,so lets all just understand that if you dont think any of the above can sometimes be a problem ,you either lucky or you are a boy ...
    Jax English

Likes (received)

the obi and the towel was from Ichibyoshi to Emily and Mews I belive .... I also found it very interesting stuff,I uused to do Kendo wiish Id known that then
    Jax English

Likes (received)

Last time I checked, my gender was female. However, since this isn't a 'female only' thread...that really shouldn't matter. I'm sorry...was this a help thread targeted for young, females new to the martial arts?

I'll bow out now.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

No it was not just for that ,but can be and can also be all it has been so no need to bow out ,you not in the dojo or on stage....nice to have a bit of fire ,and apologies for not knowing your gender....Im sure you have alot more input ..what martial art do you study by the way.....?
    Jax English

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by mews

Now here's a women's issue - boy, I hate when I have cramps and am taking class - I feel like I'm sawed off from the hips down.

:::wanders off to feed Charlotte & Emily, her pet dinosaurs:::

mew
    Just a tip that I learned recently that WORKS for cramps. Take 400 mgs of vitamin E 3 days before your period and the first two days of your period. I was stunned by the fact that no ibuprofen passed my lips this month. I am a believer. Avoiding ibuprofen is a plus for me as it isn't very good for you.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

I think they are only 'issues' if they get in the way of training to a substantial level that they need to be addressed.

'Bleeding'? Give me a break...you might as well be talking about incontinance.

Pregnancy? This is mostly a matter of individual responsibility. I have seen women joggers and athletes training to a point that I considered dangerous and foolhardy while pregnant, but in a 'normal' dojo the student needs to be proactive in informing others of their limits. Not much different than if I am recuperating from an injury.

Boobs? Get a good bra, and learn to keep your elbows down.

You bring up anatomy...I'm more concerned with my aging back and shot cartilage than aging mammary glands.
    I won't go to class on the first real day of my period. And as far as boobs go? They don't really give me a problem. I have to agree with Harlan, though. I think body size discrepancies are a bigger issue than gender discrepancies. It's funny, a group of folks were sitting around the other night talking about crying on the mat. There is a new woman in our club who is tough as hell and her throws are phenomenal (black belt in Judo) and she was talking about how annoying it is to deal with a training partner who cries and that after a while she'd do what she could to make them cry. I thought that was kind of funny.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

Now that is interesting. If a man had said that...it would be an issue. Is it one here, and is it a gender one?

Quote Originally Posted by bhoutros
    she was talking about how annoying it is to deal with a training partner who cries and that after a while she'd do what she could to make them cry.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

I guess I have two thoughts about that. On the one hand, if they are crying in the dojo, I'd hate to see them have to defend themselves on 'the street' (wherever that is).

On the other, I could see a senior instructor taking on the responsibility to 'toughen someone up', but I'd be really hesitant for just any joe blow (or josaphine) to do it.

Best,
    Ron (a man, I think...er...)

Likes (received)

Now that is interesting. If a man had said that...it would be an issue. Is it one here, and is it a gender one?
    I think what she was saying is being taken a touch out of context, although I agree that if a man had said that it would be considered an issue. We were talking about a woman who had started around the same time as I did who would cry every single time she hit the mat. After awhile, it gets tedious to deal with. What she was saying (the woman who had made the comment) was that it made her feel annoyed having to deal with a crying person all the time. I don't think that she would go out of her way to trouble/hurt someone. I probably shouldn't have stated that the way that I did because after re-reading it, I am misrepresented the conversation and the way she stated what she said.

But like you were saying, it's annoying to train with someone who cries wolf everytime you spar with them. And I think that is what she was saying as well.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

Training is about control. Self-control. Whining about one's training partner doesn't fix anything.

Men aren't the only ones who have 'compensation' issues.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Tisdale
    I guess I have two thoughts about that. On the one hand, if they are crying in the dojo, I'd hate to see them have to defend themselves on 'the street' (wherever that is).

Best,
    Ron (a man, I think...er...)
    If someone attacks me on the street, there is a good chance that I'd start crying at some point. It is totally dependent on the situation. Does the attacker have a gun? A big piece of wood? Did they catch me by surprise? Is the attacker big or small? Is there anywhere for me to run to? Can I defend myself against this person or do I just need to get the heck out of the situation? Can I get out of the situation? Too many variables in that one. And I have been known to shed a few tears when stressed out. It's not that crying itself is a bad thing. It's that it is disruptive as hell in a class environment and embarassing as hell, too.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

Crying in the dojo has nothing to do with how one will respond to a situation requiring self defense; it doesn't necessarily get in the way of thinking and reacting.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Training is about control. Self-control. Whining about one's training partner doesn't fix anything.

Men aren't the only ones who have 'compensation' issues.
    I didn't think that she was whining about her training partner. I think that she was reinforcing a good point that someone who is crying all the time impacts the group. There are group dynamics in every club. If someone is disruptive it impacts the group. You were stating earlier that you didn't like a training partner that you once had because she would get upset when you sparred with her so you just stopped sparring with her. And it sounds like it impacted everyone who you trained with because you all stopped sparring with her. Same thing.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

Crying in the dojo has nothing to do with how one will respond to a situation requiring self defense; it doesn't necessarily get in the way of thinking and reacting.
    That is exactly what I was saying. In addition to the fact that training in the dojo isn't comparable to street violence.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

Not I. I only train with my teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by bhoutros
    You were stating earlier that you didn't like a training partner that you once had because she would get upset when you sparred with her so you just stopped sparring with her. And it sounds like it impacted everyone who you trained with because you all stopped sparring with her. Same thing.
    'Leaves fall.'

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast