Likes Likes:  4
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: womens issues

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan
    Not I. I only train with my teacher...private lessons.
    My bad. I read Rin's post earlier and remembered it as you. Sorry for the misquote. But if you only train with your teacher and have private lessons then you don't have to deal with different types of training partners. So, no group dynamics or criers in your club.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

Do you think that I've never been partnered with a 'cryer', or a 'slacker', or a bully, etc. in some function in life? While it is true I don't carry a bo around with me at work, or at a PTA meeting, my training is always present in everything I do.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Do you think that I've never been partnered with a 'cryer', or a 'slacker', or a bully, etc. in some function in life? While it is true I don't carry a bo around with me at work, or at a PTA meeting, my training is always present in everything I do.

I think it is good that you get so much out of your training, Harlan. It sounds like it has an extremely positive impact on your life.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

Kudos to all the women that get more physical than me. Those that opt for more physically strenuous training.

I'll shut up now, and listen.

(Edited later: hey...what happened to the post that I'm responding to?)
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Kudos to all the women that get more physical than me. Those that opt for more physically strenuous training.

I'll shut up now, and listen.

(Edited later: hey...what happened to the post that I'm responding to?)

I re-read my original response and felt like I was being too abrasive and not respecting the fact that we all have different training styles and different reasons for doing our training.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

'Bleeding'? Give me a break...you might as well be talking about incontinance.
    Well, one is normal - the other is, I hope, not a normal event in anyone's life!

ta,
    mew
    Margaret Welsh

"It's more fun when they do it to themselves." Barbara Hambly

Likes (received)

Actually, after nine pregnancies...it could be.
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Actually, after nine pregnancies...it could be.

gleep! ya got me there - how about I say 'normal' as 'usual functioning system' as opposed to 'the system has been um, considerably stressed' ??

mew
    Margaret Welsh

"It's more fun when they do it to themselves." Barbara Hambly

Likes (received)

Harlan are you super woman.!!!..you work ..you train ....you go to pta meets and have NINE children...how much time do you get for training and do you encourage your children to train ,you got a dojo there just in your kids !!!
    Jax English

Likes (received)

Looks good on paper.

You make assumptions.

The point that was lost is that I just don't buy into female only issues. But, I've come to understand in this thread that that is because I don't have any (based, probably, on my low level of training).
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Looks good on paper.

You make assumptions.

The point that was lost is that I just don't buy into female only issues. But, I've come to understand in this thread that that is because I don't have any (based, probably, on my low level of training).

It's not about level of training, though. It's about how you percieve yourself in light of your training which is a good point that you make. If you make excuses all the time, you don't get good at what you do. Not that I don't make excuses and struggle with stuff. It's just that you have to focus on getting in to the club to get your workout in and if you use the fact that you are female to hold yourself back you don't get anywhere. It's hard and I stuggle with that. Actually, the thing that I have struggled with most is how small I am compared to the guys I train with and how much I want to win. Turns out that guys who are alot bigger than me don't always expect to win against guys who are bigger than they are. It's a funny mindset that I think alot of women get into where we are sort of upset about not being invincible when it comes to physical tasks. Unless, of course, you are a really large strong woman. But even big women that I know struggle with that stuff. And learning that has been really vital. That most people who are physically competitive have to accept their physical limitations without it halting their progress.
    Laura Joffe

Likes (received)

The level and amont of training I feel does come into it .... I myself now dont have any issues I dont think, but over the years I have had to deal with some . still I havent had too many....but even as far a piece of armour being designed for the male body and having to customizde to get to fit was at one point a small issue....
    Now I watch as other women go through all sorts of stuff,there are many women in the Dojo I train at, the men are lovely they are not causing issues but sometimes a new guy might and then there are all there men at home ,but there are alot of couples in class.....there are not alot of constant things but these are perceptions over the many years and many countries that I have trained in...obviously the more you are exposed the more you see..
    Jax English

Likes (received)

Default 2nd Dojo and Sekiguchi question

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith
    A couple of cents from the outside ...
    Don't let it be different! The way I was taught, and the way I believe it should be, is that there is no gender in the dojo.
    Me too. Honestly I don't even think about it any more. Sometimes funny things come up, or the opportunity for a joke. That's about it.
    I'm fortunate to be about 174 cm tall and 75 fit kilos, and I started with weights and cardio before I ever stepped on the mat, and it made a huge difference. The second revolution in my training was getting Rolfed, it just got so much easier to move.

That's cool Emily, I never realized that before. Do you guys also do the Sekiguchi tobiichigai?
    I think you and Chuck covered that off-forum. We do chidori-ashi, which on my bad knee days I have learned to kind of "float" through. I was only really able to do that after being Rolfed. Maybe an orthopedic surgeon can help me do it without wondering if I am going to limp the next day. Will find out next week. Will mention that on Budo/Body.

I love 2nd dojo too, and don't think the bonding's just male.
    All my dear old aikido sensei used it to "tell stories on me" as I tried to hide in my beer... ;-D

-Emily
    (been to busy to play on 'puter and trying to catch up)

Likes (received)

Default Body differences

Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    Good stuff! Thanks for the responses.
    That in mind, I let her come to me. My instructor just wanted her to get used to actually hitting someone and making contact with another person. So she threw a few punches and started with a few kicks. At one point, she threw a kick and I raised my leg to block like I pretty much always do. She made shin to shin contact, when down and had to be carried off of the mat.
    I remember training for almost a year in a Wing Tsun dojo. I had my black belt in aikido and I was kind of "branching out". My mentors had made sure I was comfortable hitting, and there was one great guy who could really take it, and I could hit or kick him as hard as I wanted. Once I figured out it was really OK, I kicked him onto a piece of furniture more than once. Maybe he was just having fun and making me feel good, but it did help.

These people gradually worked me up to getting hit, as did my own stupidity.

Anyway, at one time I was training with another junior in the WT kwoon, and we were kicking each other in the stomach. We were using pads and waling on each other. Another woman in the class, about half my size but very tough, was the guy's next partner. He forgot to ramp down for her size, kicked her into the wall, and she was out of it for a while- not unconscious but nauseated.

This was mass mistake, not a gender one.

I won't be changing the way that we do things since I feel that this is what we are there to do in the first place.
    This is a fine and good by me. However, one of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, and expecting different results.

At the same time, I want them to realize that this is what it feels like to get hit, this is what it feels like to fall down when someone is trying to put you there, and this is what you have to do to get out of it. I don't like what I see sometimes at demonstrations or seminars when you have a female student going through the motions of a technique without really knowing what it is like to put up a fight.
    Even worse if they become instructors...
    *shudder*

-Emily

Likes (received)

Default Injury Tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by mews
    gee, the locker room I used was full of conversations between female type people comparing honestly-gotten bruises.
    I got a bruise on my left orbital bone (eye socket rim) in the shower yesterday. From my husband's elbow. Before a party... I went kinda heavy on the eye makeup... not quite Goth but, erm, dramatic.

During my WT classes and in the beginning of my aikido career my forearms were black and blue. I still sport the occasional mark here and there, but since I'm a massage therapist, I don't risk my hands nearly like I used to.
    I'm older, I don't heal as fast, I have a job which requires my full physical coordination. I don't take risks like I used to. A couple of fairly serious injuries (separated shoulder and torn deltoid ligament left ankle) has slowed me down and made me less careless. Some throws and techniques paralyze me with fear, and I help my partners walk me through it until I can at least try.

My method is to test my everpresent initial theory that I can't, until I can.

I used to work out with some folks (Warui-Hiza, yes it's supposed to be funny ) with fukuro shinai and no pads. Lots of sting, bruises often. Tons of lumps and bumps in wooden weapons training.
    Chuck is still working on my flinch from getting hit, and hurt, so much. He is great and only rarely taps me with anything. Never mind the black eyes in the shower! ;-D

I can think of a black-belt whose boyfriend refused to walk down the street with her when she had a black eye - cute Asian young lady, big, tall white guy - "I know what they will be thinking! nope, not, forget it - meet you there, honey."
    LOL!

Yes, we are generalizing, but if we get too specific, I'm not sure we'll have as much fun.

-Emily

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast