about what true martial arts is truly about, from my perspective. As
    with everything else there is many ways of looking at things, but,
    this is my testimony, of what both Karate/Budo has done for me, as
    well as my Lord, & Saviour, Jesus Christ. I do hope you enjoy, & let
    me know your thoughts. Here it is:
    http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawa...stianBudo.html

Likes (received)

I like it David! PM on its way.
    Last edited by Blackwood; 21st February 2006 at 03:48.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

Mark Murray Guest

Default Please keep on-topic

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori
    Please keep your posts on-topic. Mr. Somers did combine his views of budo with religion, so posting a link of a purely religious nature is off-topic. If you have a view of religion and budo, please post it. As the rules state, keep it respectful. Otherwise, I'll delete it.

Thank you,

Likes (received)

dave, nice article... I'm not a christian so I would not know about scripture... but I have learning disabilities that Aikido helped me with. so... I guess we can see eye to eye on at least one thing.
    colin (katsu) dunlap
    I hate "smileys" :mad:

Likes (received)

Mr. Kemlo,

Thank you for posting the link. Man, my God is an awesome God! I love him so much!
    You want proof, i'll give you proof. How about our measure of time. BC stands for before christ. AD which some think stands for after death, actually means, Anno Domini. Anno Domini means in the year of our lord. Everything prior to Jesus' birth was considered BC, after he was born was considered AD. We are now living in AD. If you live by the western calendar, w/ the 12 months, 365 days a year, you are living by a calendar which was based on the birth of our lord, & saviour, Jesus Christ.
    If you would like other proof of that the bible is the truth, please let me know. I love to share the word. There are things written in the word, that were written 1000's of years ago, guess what their comming true now. You want proof, just ask. Just let me know, cause in John 14:6 it says, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

David

Likes (received)

Default Christanity and Martial Arts

Hi all,

Nice article and well backed up with scripture. I'm a Christian too (although feeling far from God at the mo!) I study karate and iaido and have looked at other martial arts too.

One question though, if I may? Jesus taught pacifism. He turned the other cheek and encourage his followers to do likewise. Therefore, in a self-defense situation, would you put your budo skills into use and try and defeat your opponent or do as Jesus did and let your opponent duff you up?

Likes (received)

I forgot to attach this link, for more info on AD:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini
    We can continue this dissussion here, w/ the permission of Murray San, if he would allow us????? Or, we can go to PM, if you would wish.
    The reason why I said in my previous post " Man, my God is an awesome God! I love him so much! " This is something I've been wanting to address for so long, proof of his exisitence, & that the bible is the truth. I'd love to discuss it further. We can do so here, w/ Murray San's permission, or we can take it elsewhere. I will probablly be setting up a blog soon, w/ this article on it. Where I would welcome you to come discuss this issue there Mr.Kemlo, or anyone else. Maybe that would be a more appropriate place. It might take me a few weeks to get this set up though, because this article alone has taken me several months to get it finalized, between doing the research in the word, finding the time to write it, figuring out the right html codes (as I am not a webmaster, just a guy that likes to share whatever his knowledge he has w/ others), choosing the wording, etc. ; I'm sure setting up a blog of this sort, would take up much time, as well. But, will be done eventually, on his time! If you'd like to hold your comments till then, I would be more then happy to address them, at that time.

David

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dsomers
    I forgot to attach this link, for more info on AD:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini
    We can continue this dissussion here, w/ the permission of Murray San, if he would allow us????? Or, we can go to PM, if you would wish.
    The reason why I said in my previous post " Man, my God is an awesome God! I love him so much! " This is something I've been wanting to address for so long, proof of his exisitence, & that the bible is the truth. I'd love to discuss it further. We can do so here, w/ Murray San's permission, or we can take it elsewhere. I will probablly be setting up a blog soon, w/ this article on it. Where I would welcome you to come discuss this issue there Mr.Kemlo, or anyone else. Maybe that would be a more appropriate place. It might take me a few weeks to get this set up though, because this article alone has taken me several months to get it finalized, between doing the research in the word, finding the time to write it, figuring out the right html codes (as I am not a webmaster, just a guy that likes to share whatever his knowledge he has w/ others), choosing the wording, etc. ; I'm sure setting up a blog of this sort, would take up much time, as well. But, will be done eventually, on his time! If you'd like to hold your comments till then, I would be more then happy to address them, at that time.

David
    You created this thread for the discussion of Budo and Christianity. I have no problems with respectfully following that course. But, I don't want to see it turn into a Christianity only thread. There are other, better places that are more suited to that kind of discussion. So, please try to keep this discussion on topic. There are way too many things to discuss in just the area that you initiated, so I'm sure we can find many interesting aspects to it.

Thanks,

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by treesurfer78
    One question though, if I may? Jesus taught pacifism. He turned the other cheek and encourage his followers to do likewise. Therefore, in a self-defense situation, would you put your budo skills into use and try and defeat your opponent or do as Jesus did and let your opponent duff you up?
    That is a tough question to answer. Thank you! I've often thought about that scripture, as well. Christianity, just like Budo, is something personal, it might mean something else to you, then it does to me.
    But, to answer your question from the way I look at it, I 1st must explain that I believe some scripture are metaphors. I believe this may be one of them. To turn the other cheek to me, is when somone offends you, you turn the other cheek. In other words, when somone offends you, instead of getting upset w/ them, think & pray on it, trust in God. Believe in him, he will have the right answer for you. If somone offends you, tell them that is ok, you might wanna share some scripture w/ them, & as Christians we are taught to forgive our tresspassers. So, we must forgive them. This might take time, it might take days, months, even years. I believe in confronting the individual that offended me, explain to them how/why they offended me, forgive them, tell them there is no hard feelings towards them, & you want to start over fresh. Hopefully, they will recognize that they offended you, & appologize for their actions, but, sometimes, that might not happen. You just gotta ask God to provide them w/ a healing, so they dont continue to offend you, & keep them in prayer. When you forgive them completely, you start anew, I believe this is turning the other cheek, in my opinion.
    Because in Psalms 144:1, it tells us, "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight".
    While our God is not a violent God, he wants us to be prepared, because he talks about all this stuff comming true in Mark 13 (BTW, Mr.Kemlo please read it). He will give us the strength, knowledge, & wisdom to guide us throughout anything that may come before us. Because in Phil.4:13 it tells us "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". All you have to do is believe.

While I am no Pastor, Priest, nor have I completed any seminary, or any biblical college, I can only share what it means to me, as a Man of God, & what he has done for me personally.

David

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Murray
    You created this thread for the discussion of Budo and Christianity. I have no problems with respectfully following that course. But, I don't want to see it turn into a Christianity only thread. There are other, better places that are more suited to that kind of discussion. So, please try to keep this discussion on topic. There are way too many things to discuss in just the area that you initiated, so I'm sure we can find many interesting aspects to it.

Thanks,
    Thank you for your reply. I will start putting the blog together hopefully later this week, when I have more time. That would probablly be a much better place for that type of discussion. I do hope that Mr.Kemlo, & anyone else that may oppose his existence, the truth, etc, that they respect your wishes, as well. Again, thank you for your reply. Now, gotta go train!

Likes (received)

Question

Would you say that all Martial Arts, Budo, Etc. would follow suite to fit within the teachings of Jesus?
    Would all paths of Christianity able, and indeed willing to embrace such teachings as those of the Martial nature (Budo, Bushi, Bujutsu, all definitions relating to War, and the intent to Kill)?
    What about etiquette such as giving respect and prayer to Kami such as Marishiten?
    Arts that have developed along to become sportive, oriented around competitions, would their practice be endorsed by Jesus? (What do the Christian teaching say about winning by subduing others?)

I do have some more questions, but I'll have to think how to phrase them...
    -Amir Barak

"You get what you pay for, But I had no intention of living this way" - Adam Duritz

Likes (received)

bud is generally influenced by buddhism. so... do you think the philosophies of Christ and of amitabha are compatible?
    colin (katsu) dunlap
    I hate "smileys" :mad:

Likes (received)

I'm a bit surprised that on a budo board that you are unaware of Christ's command:

Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"

"Nothing," they answered.

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
    Luke 22: 35-36

There are arts that mix religion with budo. I do not practice any of them.

An individual's choices are something they have to resolve with their god. I am not going to be arrogant enough to tell someone what God will and will not accept or forgive.

Karate promotes awareness of one's self, both body and mind, as well as the world around you. This not only helps when attacked, but also helps when dealing with everyday situations. The ability to react to a door opening in your face is just as much self defense as avoiding getting hit! The flexibility and strength, as well as the cardiovascular benefits, obtained through participation in karate will keep you healthy through a long life.

And as for protecting myself and my family, no problem. Christ preached peace. He didn't preach letting one's self be killed.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

Christ preached peace.
    Did he?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." – Matthew 10:34
    Sound peaceful to you? Or how about -

"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." – Matthew 10.35,36
    or

" If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." – Luke 14.26
    or

"And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." – Matthew 10.21
    or

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke.22:36
    Seems warfare and killing a VERY compatible with Christians.
    David Kemlo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast