Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Bruce Lee's take on Kata

Likes (received)

Default Feldenkrais and Immoveability

Quote Originally Posted by edg176
    David,
    Sorry it took me a while to get back to this. Yes, sanda is Chinese kickboxing. Punch/kick and throwing, but no groundgame. I worked out with some sanda guys for a few months in China (they never sparred). I spent about 6 months training with Brent Hamby (Wong's student) at his school.
    Tim,
    Thanks for that. I just found the article I wanted to reference on Feldenkrais and body power. Looking it over, I think it will be off-topic here, so I'm going to put it on the Akuzawa/Aunkai thread in the aikijujutsu forum.

I did read the rest of that Bruce Lee/Yip Man article and it was really good. William Cheung also wrote an interesting perspective on the reality of Bruce's behaviors.

I'll tell you, though, if I had been a Yip Man student and Bruce told me class was called off because Yip Man was sick, and he then went in and had private lessons with Yip Man, I sure would have complained.

I think that (and his almost taking an eyeball out of a street-fight opponent) is what got Bruce kicked out of Yip Man's school and sent to Barbarian Land. He was way past the halfway point of his life, even then, five years from the fight with Wong and 14 years from death.
    David Orange, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
    Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

Interesting thread, I'll have to look it over again when I have more time. If I were still in contact with Jesse Glover, I'd ask him for his input on it all. I have some of Jesse's books laying around the house and I'll check them out tonight to see if there is anything pertinent. Jesse calls what he does "non-classical gung-fu" and it is very sticky...
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Default Lee and Norris

I believe Lee meet Norris at a tournament and only later invited Norris to act in his movie.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6