Likes Likes:  0

Thread: yagyu shingan VS. yagyu shinkage

Likes (received)

Default yagyu shingan VS. yagyu shinkage

hello i was just wondering if anybody could tell me what the main differences are between yagyu shingan ryu kenjutsu and yagyu shinkage ryu kenjutsu are?
    thank you
    john morgan

Likes (received)

Ummm...Pretty much everything except that they both have swords in them..There is very little similarity between them other than the Yagyu family name being attached to the title of the school...There are branches here that teach both Shingan Ryu and the Shinkage Ryu but the one is not attached to the other and they have very little in common...You would have to see them both to see what I mean...And Yagyu Shingan Ryu is primarily a Jujutsu school not a Kenjutsu school..The sections that focus on the sword seem to use more jujutsu than I have seen in the Shinkage Ryu (Although that is not to say that the Shinkage Ryu doesn't feature this...It's just not as openly obvious)...What prompted the question?
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

The Yagyu shingan ryu I've seen is pretty intense jujutsu. The kata are strong and it feels like it's meant to be done wearing armor, all the moves tend to be very efficient and doable when your arms are weighed down by armor.

I've only seen a bit of Yagyu shinkage ryu and I couldn't spot any similarity really. I guess shinkage just looks like a school of kenjutsu normally would.

I remember reading somewhere that shingan ryu was started by a former student of the Yagyu family, with their blessing to use the Yagyu name.. I'd guess that speaks something for his fighting abilities.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

i was just wondering if they were simular. thanks for the anwer. Do you have any more info on either school i would love to read it.
    john morgan

Likes (received)

Last edited by fifthchamber; 27th February 2006 at 00:57.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

thanks yeah i dont speak or japanese so that sucks that the kicker with koryu most of the info is in japanese or atleast the things i have found. But the pictures are always cool to look at
    john morgan

Likes (received)

Yeah....There is a way around that of course...
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber
    Yeah....There is a way around that of course...
    [What happened to the "laugh" smilie?]

Funny, but so true. (Several good ways, actually.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---