Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrongfully Accused - Media's Potrayal of "Karate"

Likes (received)

Angry Wrongfully Accused - Media's Potrayal of "Karate"

Influenced by this thread :http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost...61&postcount=1

There are certain issues that I like to raise regarding the media's use of "karate"

Why is it that everytime some newsbreaking headlining stories reported by the media often screams " KARATE teacher covicted" , "KARATE Teacher charge with Molestations", "KARATE instructor killed innocent bystanders", KARATE instructor did this" , "KARATE instructor did that"...etc

Then reading deeply into some of these stories, the majority that I find turns that the majority of these "KARATE" instructors actually trained in anything but "KARATE".

Second issue is the media just seems to love inserting "Karate" or "Martial Artist" when reporting news that has something to do with domestic violence, rapes and other felonious wrong doings. Why ? why can't they say something Black and Blue plumbing employee convicted of assaults !

Does the media see Karate as the hotbed for the caused of all these violences ?

Maybe I am a purist or maybe I'm the only one bothered by this, regardless, I still think that the media should try to do a bit research before assuming that every martial arts is "KARATE". My understanding is that Journalist supposed to report "Facts" not fiction or mis-informations.

Don't get me wrong, I don't plan to paint Karate as the Saint here. I am sure that we have our share of convicted felons who trained in traditional karate-do in our midst. It just seems to me that every convicted or alleged criminals are practioners of Karate !

Althought, I do plan to search for the old news archives and post them in this forum to support the issues that I raised. Hopefully, many of you can contribute to this thread.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

We are sensative to the use of Karate. I think you will find the same issue with such things as "Boy Scout leader accused of molestation" and "Preacher accused of embezzlement." Anything to increase the 'ugliness' of the incident, grab the attention of the public and therefore selling more newspapers and advertising.

I will see what I can do to add to the articles, but you seem to beat all of us to finding them!
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

One of my personal gripes is that the media both creates ignorance and then feeds on it.
    I remember a newspaper article from the early '90s about someone who made an explosive device from instructions they found on the internet. The journalist ended the story with "the internet also contains information on bombs, martial arts and poisons." Much like the Monty Python sketch, where the contestant's hobbies are "masturbation, golf and straggling animals", there is a non-sequitur here, but not so obvious to the average person, since the media has already "educated" them in what they need to know about the martial arts.
    I also remember a program back in the 80's that featured a one-armed Hapkido practitioner, but was plugged as "we'll meet a one-armed Karate expert."
    I even remember looking through some free clip art and finding a picture of the standard yoko geri/ uraken combination but the picture labeled as "karate/judo" as if the two names were interchangeable.
    I'm pretty sure we can find dozens of examples to post on this thread. Onward, Prince!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Default Case Number: 001

Popular Karate Instructor Arrested
    By: Melissa Maeyer

A man many people know as a popular martial arts instructor in amarillo was arrested on Friday

A little after 4 that afternoon, 62 year old Nelson Dewey Harvey was arrested on two counts of indecency with a child.

Nelson Dewey Harvey is the owner and operator of the Harvey's Karate Tae Kwon Do Center in Amarillo.

The allegations are from two separate accounts, from two different victims, that occurred during Harvey's after school program.

The first complaint claims that on November 4th of 2005, Harvey touched the breast of an 11 year old victim 3 different times in one day.

The second alleged act occurred under similar circumstances in October of 2005, and involves a 9 year old female, whose sibling witnessed some of the offense.

It claims he intended to arouse and gratify sexual desire from the defendant, plus attempt to engage in sexual contact.

Corporal Jerry Neufeld with the Amarillo Police said, "when you have an out cry like this and you get one victim or, in this case, you get 2 victims--now there is the possibility we many have others for whatever reasons who held back or didn't feel comfortable or felt threatened, who are now willing to come forward and say this happened and this happened there. And you might not have any."

Neufeld suggests you talk to your children if they attended Harvey's Karate.

He also says parents should make it a habit to talk to their kids about the after school activities they're involved in to make sure no one is harming them.

If Harvey is convicted, he could face time in prison or he could get probation.

Right now he is being held at the Potter County Jail on two 25 thousand dollar bonds.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Case Number: 002

Instructor arrested on sex charges
    Karate studio employee faces 16 counts of child molestation

An instructor at a Menlo Park karate studio was arrested Monday night and charged with 16 counts of child molestation and illegal sexual activities with minors.

The suspect, Kenneth Wayne Roberts, 25, of Redwood City, is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Menlo Park Police Commander Steve Lewis announced the arrest at a news conference Thursday. Lewis said two victims of the alleged crimes have been identified so far, both of them boys, and both of them students at Kim's Tae Kwon Do marital arts studio at 562 Oak Grove Ave. The boys are ages 9 and 11. One lives in Los Altos Hills and the other in Redwood City.

Lewis said there will be additional interviews with other students at the martial arts studio and possibly additional charges filed.

"There are a number of young men involved, a number of boys, and we don't know how many," Lewis said. "The investigation is just beginning."

The studio was closed through this weekend and studio employees are cooperating fully with the police. The initial contact with the police came from studio employees after the two boys alleged they had been molested.

The incidents occurred over the last six months, Lewis said. Neither Lewis nor Steven Burnside, attorney for the studio, who also attended the news conference, knew how long Roberts had worked at the studio. Lewis also was unable to say if Roberts had any prior arrests or convictions, or where he is from originally.

Burnside said the studio's "membership is shocked and saddened in the extreme by these events."

Roberts had lived in a rented room in the Redwood City home of one of the victims. Lewis said that the crimes allegedly took place in Menlo Park, Redwood City, and possibly other police jurisdictions.

Roberts was charged with one count of lewd or lascivious acts against a child under fear or duress, four counts of lewd or lascivious acts against a child, seven counts of oral copulation with a child, and four counts of exposing a minor to harmful matter.

A team of Menlo Park and Redwood City investigators have been assigned to the case, and police have established a hotline for people with information to call: 858-3309.

--Don Kazak

Link:http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly...19.MOLEST.html
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Case Number - 003

Martial Arts Instructor Is Accused of Sex Abuse
    Published: December 31, 1999

The owner of a Brooklyn martial arts school was arrested Wednesday evening and charged with sexually abusing three of his young students, the police said yesterday.

The suspect, Eddie Ramos, 34, of 272 Cornelia Street, was charged with three counts of sex abuse and three counts of endangering the welfare of a child, the police said. He owns the Kim Tae Kwon Do school at 548 92nd Street in Bay Ridge.

Sgt. Andrew McInnis, a police spokesman, said one of Mr. Ramos's students, a 10-year-old boy, told his mother that he had been abused in the locker room and in the basement of the school. The boy's mother notified the police and Mr. Ramos was questioned on Wednesday and then arrested.

A detective involved in the investigation said the police found two other boys who said they had been sexually abused by Mr. Ramos. Investigators were trying yesterday to determine whether there were more possible victims. The police said Mr. Ramos had no criminal record. He could not be reached for comment yesterday at his home or at the school.

- Again the headlines screams MARTIAL ARTS ! Oh no we can't use Taekwondo
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Case Number: 004

Police Expand Molestation Probe

Reported By: Elaine Reyes
    Web Editor: Tracey Christensen
    Last Modified: 4/21/2005 5:46:12 PM

Cobb County police have filed more charges against a Marietta karate instructor.

Hyuk Song, 28, was arrested Tuesday after a 12-year-old claimed he molested her three years ago at this studio.

Investigators added more charges Thursday after a girl claimed he molested her two years ago when she was 13-years-old.

A police spokesman said it is not the first time Song has been accused of such crimes. Several years ago, Song left Volusia County after facing similar charges.

"Apparently, he's been on the run for seven years in dealing with a situation down there," said Cpl. Dana Pierce.

Despite Song's arrest, karate students packed a class at the WTKD Song Martial Arts Studio on Sandy Plains Road Wednesday night. Parents said they fully support the instructor.

"Master Song is the most honorable person I know, an excellent instructor, good spiritual leader to the kids and just a world class person," said Tom Simmons.

A businessman who owns a fitness center next to the karate studio said Song would often use his van to pick up his students at school. Upon hearing of Song's prior arrest, Mark Hutton said he's not so convinced of his innocence.

"If that's the case, as far as that maybe (where) there's smoke, there's fire. Hopefully this will put an end to it if there's that out there," Hutton said.

Song is charged with aggravated sexual battery, child molestation, and enticing a minor for indecent purposes. He is being held in the Cobb County Jail without bond.

Link: http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&cd=45
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Karate is the catch word that most people seem to catch hold of. If I said Han Mu Do teacher or Shorin-ryu teacher most people would be like what is that? Never heard of that.
    Bill Turner

Judo and Aikido

I think I am going to start my own style...everyone is invited to be under me of course. I will be called "Beat-the-dog-with-frying-pan-Ryu" I develop this from many years of studying "Nin-pot-smaK-a-ryu-justsu-kai-te-fu" which is a 50,000 year art from Japanimaca. The head of the Ryu is Sum Dum Guy. Everyone know him he a 50th degree.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by samuraibill
    Karate is the catch word that most people seem to catch hold of. If I said Han Mu Do teacher or Shorin-ryu teacher most people would be like what is that? Never heard of that.
    That's true, but how would the average sports fan react if I confused baseball with cricket, tennis with volleyball, or gridiron with ballet, and covered myself with the "it's all the same anyway" comment?
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

I'm with you Andrew. The Journos will probably claim that they try to simplify things in a headline and that "karate" is widely understood by most people. I think we should call all those Hacks by the wrong titles, you know, like; Storytellers, balladeers and poets and see if they like that.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by samuraibill
    Now would be the time for the media to educate the masses then and really make themselves useful eh ?
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

The local media where I live really has a burr across its back about the company I work for (a home builder) and has been accusing the in house mortgage broker of wrong lending and the leading cause of all the forclosures in one subdivision when a simple search of the free public records (which I did) would have shown that half the home owners who bought from the builder DID NOT USE the in house broker...and of those who did, half of those went out and got second and third mortgages and couldn't pay any of it back. The newspaper also accused the builder of being in leagues with several Down Payment Assistance Programs (like AmeriDream and Nehemiah) - which is something any home seller can use, and any FHA buyer can take advantage of - you don't have to be a builder or a corporation, you can be just the owner of a home who wants to sell it. If you don't work in the building, lending,real estate, or title industry, there is a lot you don't understand (I know nothing about construction, for example, because I've never worked in construction) so the media takes the oportunity to "educate" the masses by basically not reporting facts, but twisting things to sell newspapers or get ratings.

Its the same with martial arts. The media doesn't care about taking the extra effort to do reseach and uses generic terms that the public can easily connect with (oh, karate...like that Bruce Lee stuff).

Anyone remember reading about the media in the 20's and 30's and the term "yellow journalism"? Its like that's what we've come back to.
    K Webber

Likes (received)

Default Media ignorance

Sadly the media tends to sensationalize everything and put as many generic labels on as possible to either 'wow' or induce revulsion in the layman. Thankfuly I've found more casual ignorance in people on the street rather than media influence. Most of the time I get 'Karate and Kung fu? Aren't they all the same?'.
    For times like that I think it's best that martial artists educate people. Maybe if there's a particularly troublesome newspaper, writing an editorial would be a good expression? I don't know, just my $0.02.

I wish we could take comfort in the fact that it's not only limited to martial arts but well that isn't really painting such a bright picture of the situation. I myself was an avid freeride mountain biker and the newspapers in my hometown did not always portray us for what we were. Instead most of the time we were just those crazy kids on the streets riding their bikes off stuff and causing trouble/property damage. With zero understanding of the biking styles or techniques the reporters made mountains out of mole-hills. The ridiculous overuse of adjectives was kind of funny actually. Many ignorant people simply assumed we were no-good punks. Granted a good bunch of bikers are but that's an unfair label anyways. I would suspect that many health scares (like XXX has been shown in a scientific study to cause cancer) are blown out of proportion as well. I had a professor once who had the media sensationalize one of his research papers and he himself could not convince them that his study was only one finding (which is not in itself enough support for a new theory) which was not totally verified.

Oh by the way I'm a lurker, first time poster. Hello everyone =)
    Kelvin Po
    Vancouver Eishin Ryu Iaido
    UBC Goju Kai Karate

Likes (received)

The worst 3 words that are used in media is Kung fu, Karate and Ninja. You apply these to a story about the subject discussed and you get your weeks check from the editor. So if we say "Ninja freak kills neighbor over fence fued", people will read it. Also insert samurai sword, ninja death throwing stars and nunchucks, and you have a massive ammount of detail to give to a brain dead reader and some congressman who then gets a bee in his bonnet and wants to ban all video games just in case some one goes off with a sword and hurt people.

People need entertainment, and we give them what they need in news format. A karate instructor that does TKD in the media is the monster. We just sit back and thing "why bother. The writer is a numbnut who more than likely think Wallace and Gromit are real people..." and so on. It sells so if a Karate instructor who by chance studies Gung Fu/Taiji form, gets labelled Karate as it is a catcher headline. We all have to live with it, and carry on training regardless.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S
    That's true, but how would the average sports fan react if I confused baseball with cricket, tennis with volleyball, or gridiron with ballet, and covered myself with the "it's all the same anyway" comment?
    I was just pointing out their perspective. Personally i hate it when people ask me what type of "karate" in am into when I am a judoka.

I wouldn't have any problem with reference to karate if it was used properly but like I said its being demonized as a catch word for media.
    Last edited by samuraibill; 26th February 2006 at 07:33.
    Bill Turner

Judo and Aikido

I think I am going to start my own style...everyone is invited to be under me of course. I will be called "Beat-the-dog-with-frying-pan-Ryu" I develop this from many years of studying "Nin-pot-smaK-a-ryu-justsu-kai-te-fu" which is a 50,000 year art from Japanimaca. The head of the Ryu is Sum Dum Guy. Everyone know him he a 50th degree.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast