Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Wrongfully Accused - Media's Potrayal of "Karate"

Likes (received)

I wasn't really sure where this one belonged... 10th dan (danger Will Robinson, danger!), own style (warning, warning), the inability of the writer to spell "shotokan", the Hapkido-style uniform, the name dropping...
    you decide....

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/...ORTS/812080329

Ontario martial arts instructor joins exclusive fraternity
    By JAMI KINTON • News Journal • December 8, 2008

ONTARIO -- There's only 10 in the country and 20 in the world -- and one is the master instructor of the Family Martial Arts Center in Ontario.

Victor Louis, 76, has taught at the center since 1983. On Saturday, the Youngstown resident was awarded his 10th Dan in the style of Hikado Karate-Do.

Louis received his official certificate from the Ateru Worldwide Association. He also received a limited edition diploma, an AWA board of directors citation and a lifetime membership to the AWA.

The center held a series of seminars over the weekend, which included teaching cane fighting and Shurite Kempo, and held a black belt testing.

Louis began taking karate in Tokyo about 60 years ago while he was in the marine corp.

"It came easy to me," he said. "I met a lot of great people and just enjoyed it. My wife, my daughter and my son are all black belts, too."

Louis said he still practices almost every day. He is also the master instructor at schools in New York, Pennsylvania and Kentucky, but spends the majority of his time in Ontario.

He developed his own style by mixing Sotokon and Aikido.

"I never thought I'd rank this high," he said. "I was satisfied at seven. I don't do it for the ranking. It's a way of life. The belts are not really what are important."

Louis said there was only one time when he used karate in real life.

"I was at a mall and I saw some guys harassing a girl and I told them if they were tough enough to meet me in the parking lot," he said. "But that was a long, long time ago, and the majority of the karate people you meet are nice people."

Louis said he enjoys the Mansfield area.

"There are a lot of screwballs in Youngstown," he said. "So I like to come here."

"There's only room for one 10th Dan," he said. "There won't be another 10th Dan here because he's our 10th."

Louis has trained with notable people like Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido, and Grandmaster Robert Trias, the founder of the first Karate school.

"Karate teaches discipline, which is essential for life," he said.

Louis isn't certain how long he will continue to train.

"He's not gonna stop," Music said.

In a letter to Louis, chairman and AWA founder Kevin Huunjin Cullen said he was honored to award him his 10th Dan.

"I personally have known you some 20 years, and I cannot think of a person who has been more dedicated to the true essence and proliferation of the arts," he said in the letter. "Your students are a testament to your fine work and instruction ..."

Music said he is honored to have Louis at Family Martial Arts.

"He brings integrity to this place," he said. "Having a 10th Dan gives us all credibility."
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

OK, I know some sports journalists have an IQ sitting in body-temperature figures (and I am talking celcius), but let's get something straight - soccer players actually do kick. So let's call a kick a kick. Or if it happened in soccer, a SOCCER KICK.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-20954581/

Jackie McNamara let his frustrations boil over when he launched a karate kick at the back of Hamilton's knee and was sent off.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    I wasn't really sure where this one belonged... 10th dan (danger Will Robinson, danger!), own style (warning, warning), the inability of the writer to spell "shotokan", the Hapkido-style uniform, the name dropping...
    you decide....

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/...ORTS/812080329

Ontario martial arts instructor joins exclusive fraternity
    By JAMI KINTON • News Journal • December 8, 2008

ONTARIO -- There's only 10 in the country and 20 in the world -- and one is the master instructor of the Family Martial Arts Center in Ontario.

Victor Louis, 76, has taught at the center since 1983. On Saturday, the Youngstown resident was awarded his 10th Dan in the style of Hikado Karate-Do.

Louis received his official certificate from the Ateru Worldwide Association. He also received a limited edition diploma, an AWA board of directors citation and a lifetime membership to the AWA.

The center held a series of seminars over the weekend, which included teaching cane fighting and Shurite Kempo, and held a black belt testing.

Louis began taking karate in Tokyo about 60 years ago while he was in the marine corp.

"It came easy to me," he said. "I met a lot of great people and just enjoyed it. My wife, my daughter and my son are all black belts, too."

Louis said he still practices almost every day. He is also the master instructor at schools in New York, Pennsylvania and Kentucky, but spends the majority of his time in Ontario.

He developed his own style by mixing Sotokon and Aikido.

"I never thought I'd rank this high," he said. "I was satisfied at seven. I don't do it for the ranking. It's a way of life. The belts are not really what are important."

Louis said there was only one time when he used karate in real life.

"I was at a mall and I saw some guys harassing a girl and I told them if they were tough enough to meet me in the parking lot," he said. "But that was a long, long time ago, and the majority of the karate people you meet are nice people."

Louis said he enjoys the Mansfield area.

"There are a lot of screwballs in Youngstown," he said. "So I like to come here."

"There's only room for one 10th Dan," he said. "There won't be another 10th Dan here because he's our 10th."

Louis has trained with notable people like Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido, and Grandmaster Robert Trias, the founder of the first Karate school.

"Karate teaches discipline, which is essential for life," he said.

Louis isn't certain how long he will continue to train.

"He's not gonna stop," Music said.

In a letter to Louis, chairman and AWA founder Kevin Huunjin Cullen said he was honored to award him his 10th Dan.

"I personally have known you some 20 years, and I cannot think of a person who has been more dedicated to the true essence and proliferation of the arts," he said in the letter. "Your students are a testament to your fine work and instruction ..."

Music said he is honored to have Louis at Family Martial Arts.

"He brings integrity to this place," he said. "Having a 10th Dan gives us all credibility."

Wanna technical....this would be in Bad Budo.

1) 10th Dan- Checked

Now what the heck is "Hikado" anyway ?
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Like I've brought up several times before on questionable high ranks: This guy claims to have studied Aikido under Ueshiba O-Sensei. When? How long? This is important as my teacher's teacher was an uchideshi under O-Sensei some 50 years ago. He is still 8th dan.
    And as for training under Trias... so what?

It's only a matter of time before Bob Sulivan of Go Kan Ryu finds himself being awarded a 10th dan by his peers.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

after reading the newspaper article, I can see that Sotokan could be a typo.
    some of the other stuff, well let the buyer beware

Likes (received)

Remember my comment about sports writers and body-temperature IQs? Well, here's one with a refrigerator-temperature IQ:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2029278.ece

Nothing to do with karate at all - the writer decided that Zarate rhyming with karate was enough...
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

I hate being seen as a pedant but it does annoy me when someone in a TV show says they're a black belt in kung fu or something. Even just when I say I'm into martial arts and someone I just met goes "ooooh, I'll be careful what I say to you then, wouldn't want you to snap my neck". Yeah that's right, I study martial arts so I can snap the neck of someone I just met for no reason.

The stuff about martial arts instructors molesting kids is just horrible. As someone already said, it's the same cynical marketing ploy as reporting every school teacher, priest or children's entertainer who happens to be a pervert. It instills paranoia and obscures the fact that most child abuse victims are abused by members of their family, but what the hell, it sells papers. Sickening.

Likes (received)

Request to newspaper editors: READ THE CONTENT BEFORE YOU THINK OF A HEADLINE!!!!

The story does not mention the name of "martial art" at all... the accompanying video shows the DOJANG with the words TAEKWONDO printed over the door... the video mentions TAEKWONDO at least twice... and what do we get?

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/39098312.html

Karate Instructor Charged with Child Sexual Abuse

Posted: 3:41 PM Feb 4, 2009
    Last Updated: 9:22 AM Feb 5, 2009
    Reporter: Lauren Evans
    Email Address: lauren.evans@wilx.com

Martial Arts Instructor Charged with Sexual Abuse

A 42-year old Robert Lintzenich, of Hartland, has been charged with five counts of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree.

Livingston County Undersheriff Michael Murphy says authorities have identified two victims, both close to the suspect.

Murphy says one of the victims stated this abuse had been going on for more than 10 years, and that the victims had reported abuse to child protective services in two other states, but no charges were filed.

Lintzenich is not known to have a previous criminal record.

Lintzenich was arraigned on Jan. 23. He is currently being held at Livingston County Jail on one million dollars bond.

If convicted, he faces life in prison.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

This one is not so bad

http://centralillinoisproud.com/cont...ext/?cid=46641

Metamora Teacher Uses Karate for Inspiration
    Reported by: Angelica Alvarez, WMBD/WYZZ TV
    Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 @08:59am CST

WMBD/WYZZ TV - METAMORA -- Students from Metamora Martial Arts are using the art of karate to inspire students at Metamora Grade School.

Thursday morning, the best of the best from Metamora Martial Arts showed off their skills for the entire school. For seven years the program has used martial arts as a way to teach children how to be successful in life. School officials hope the assembly will serve as a motivational tool to energize students for the upcoming ISAT tests.

Last year, Metamora Martial Arts was named the best children's program in the United States by Black Belt Magazine. There will be two more karate-filled assemblies. They're scheduled for next Friday, the 27th. The first is at nine in the morning at Riverview Grade School. The second is at one in the afternoon at St. Mary's Grade School in Metamora.

See, not so bad... except that the news service decided that this was an appropriate picture to use in lieu of a photograph:
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

Default Something seems so right that...

it blew the heck out of me..

Man unwisely tries to rob Tae Kwon Do studio

FOX POINT, Wis. – A robber gets more than he bargained for when he targeted a Tae Kwon Do studio in suburban Milwaukee. The robber thought he could quietly slip in and out of David Kang's studio in Fox Point with some loot. What he didn't realize is that he would encounter a Tae Kwon Do master who wasn't about to let him off the hook.

Kang was giving a private lesson Tuesday and heard someone in his office. Kang found the man going through his closet, grabbed him by the neck and sat him down while he called police.

The robber took off and Kang gave chase, finally catching up with the man and holding him by the neck until police arrived.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

This one contains all the cliches... and none of them are related at all to the content!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-match.html

Now THAT'S an Angry Bird! Karate cranes get kung fu fighting in high-powered kick-boxing match

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2euYDj65Y
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

And, newspaper folks, just what is a "marital arts van"?

Witnesses said they saw Mangrum swerving all over the road, driving a white martial arts van along Hull Street.
    http://wtvr.com/2013/08/20/karate-in...dwi-sentenced/
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

The van must have had previous raining and got some sokeship rank !

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    And, newspaper folks, just what is a "marital arts van"?

http://wtvr.com/2013/08/20/karate-in...dwi-sentenced/
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15