Manaka Sensei,

First, I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule in order to share with us some of your wisdom and experience. It is a honor and I am truly grateful for this opportunity.

Over the course of my training in the ninpo arts, I have heard time and time again that the principles and philosophies of fighting are the same, whether or not one is standing or on the ground. Unfortunately I have never been taught newaza that can be attributed to the arts which we study. Instead they are integrated into training from outside sources such as Judo and "modern jujitsu".

Over the past few decades, have the techniques and priciples of newaza been taught to those who study ninpo? If they have been taught, why is it that noone seems to know them and instead look to outside sources for their training?

What part does newaza play in the Jinenkan cirriculum? Is there much of a focus on this aspect of training? If not, then why?

Historically, how has newaza or "grappling" on the ground been taught by the various ryuha that are a part of the Jinenkan?

Finally, how should we as practitioners of these arts approach our training of newaza?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions and I apologize if my questions are unclear. I look forward to your reply.

David Gadoury