Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Please allow me a little CQC-related gloating.

Default Please allow me a little CQC-related gloating.

Moderators, please forgive me -- this is not intended as a plug, but as, well... smug self-satisfaction.

Page 5 of the most recent Soldier of Fortune magazine contains the following ad sheet:

http://www.themartialist.com/images/sofmagpage.jpg
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Publisher, The Martialist™
    For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Umm, well, you know that PP also promoted the ultimate bad Ninjercompoop, Ashida Kim, too?

Chuck
    (who hung with some of these guys when he was young and lost the inclination to do so when he really got involved in living this $hit)
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Why would that matter to me?

I actually saw Ashida Kim referred to in an online forum like this:

"He's like a thin Phil Elmore."

When I read that, I knew I must be doing something right.

In all seriousness, a publisher exists for one reason and one reason only: to make money by selling books. By definition, then, they publish those materials for which they believe there is a market. In this particular case, they publish and have published everything from classic works by the great masters of self-defense (such as Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense) to silly books by various ninjers. Thumb through their catalog and you'll see things that will appeal to a wide spectrum of tastes; I think the quality work far outnumbers anything I would consider a little strange. What matters to me is that they deemed my work marketable and thus have made it possible for me to reach a wider audience. Everyone benefits -- them, me, the reader. I'm proud to be working with them; I've been a customer of the company for years.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Heya Phil,

Yeah, I know. I was just taking the piss a bit. I used to deal with the PP folks quite a bit, but after a while, I lost touch and track of 'em.

Congrats on the book and all! Someday, when I get to retire, I've got a couple ideas in the chute, but they'll have to wait until I actually have time to address them properly.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Phil
    In all seriousness, a publisher exists for one reason and one reason only: to make money by selling books. By definition, then, they publish those materials for which they believe there is a market. In this particular case, they publish and have published everything from classic works by the great masters of self-defense (such as Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense) to silly books by various ninjers. Thumb through their catalog and you'll see things that will appeal to a wide spectrum of tastes; I think the quality work far outnumbers anything I would consider a little strange. What matters to me is that they deemed my work marketable and thus have made it possible for me to reach a wider audience. Everyone benefits -- them, me, the reader. I'm proud to be working with them; I've been a customer of the company for years.
    Hello,
    Just a quick question. Wouldn't this topic be better off in one of two other places? Either "Media and the Martial Arts" or "E-Budo Bookstore"? My guess would be the latter, in which case you have to request that a thread be opened for your book (PM Mr. Kohler).

Thanks,

I never thought of placing it in the store section -- if a moderator could move it there, that would probably be helpful.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Likes (received)

Dear Phil,

Even at full view I can't read the full title.

"Flashlight Fighting"?

Congrats!

This your first book?
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

First for Paladin, unless you count the essay in the Warriors collection.

http://paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1356
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Likes (received)

Dear Phil,

I was hoping that was yours.

About time someone wrote and talked about a practical and commonly used "tool".

Your book talk about some of the legal ramifications of self-defense nowadays?

Hey! You seen the taser-flashlights?
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Legal and social, yes. It's not a long book; it's just a simple common-sense guide.

I'm not a huge fan of tasers. Too gimmicky.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人