Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Tendo-ryu naginatajutsu (Ten-ryu hyoho)

Likes (received)

Default Lost forms of Tendo Ryu

A paper I have recieved lists the Tendo Ryu kata to #206;

108 Tachi vs Naginata
    10 Tachi vs Jo
    5 Tachi vs Kusarigama
    16 Tachi vs Nito
    5 Tachi vs Tanto
    59 Tachi vs Tachi
    3 Tachi vs Kodachi

To my memory, however, "only" #156 are still trained within the school. I have been told that most Tachi vs Tachi are lost but does someone have more exact information? Any information would be helpful.
    Jakob Ryngen

Likes (received)

Default numbers

Jakob,
    Your numbers are off. But you are correct about the Tachi sets. I have asked Mitamura Sensei about them and her response was they are lost.

Where did you get the number 156? I never heard an exact number regarding the number of kata that are practiced while I was at Shubukan.

Eric
    Eric Montes

Likes (received)

Hello Eric!
    I think I got the number 156 from Tanaka-sensei. 206-156 makes 50 meaning that there at least should be 9 tachi vs tachi that are still trained. Perhaps the number 156 is wrong but it would still be interesting to know which kata are still around. The other numbers should be correct though as it comes from Soke.
    Jakob Ryngen

Likes (received)

Jakob,
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Your numbers are based on the assumption that all the naginata kata in the curriculum are still practiced. That is no longer true.

There are many naginata kata that have been lost as well. I do not know specifically which ones. (I did not quiz Mitamura Sensei on the full list of kata....)

I have been told this many times (it take a long time to get through my thick skull...) Practice what you have been taught, not what is on the list or what others are doing.

Mitamura Sensei and Tanaka Sense have said on more than one occasion, the basics of Tendo Ryu are most important. If you cannot do them correctly, you will not be able to do anything else correctly.

E
    Eric Montes

5. Likes Bruce Mitchell liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hello again!
    So you are saying that the number 156 is not correct either? I would not dream about training anything else that I have been taught (and not even seen). My interest is from an academic approach rather than a practical one, and it would be nice to know which forms and weapons that are still used within the Tendo Ryu curriculum.
    Jakob Ryngen

Likes (received)

Question Tendo-ryu naginatajutsu (Ten-ryu hyoho)

I have read the really great thread that Mr. Scott wrote at the top of this forum, providing lots of links and information about Naginata and polearms.
    I am curious though please whether there is more information about Tendo-Ryu ... books, films, online sites. I also tried to browse the net for information regarding the dojos in Japan, and besides the indication that its center is in Kyoto I couldn't find anything - not even the address of that single dojo.

Thank you in advance,
    Tal Bustan

Likes (received)

Default Tendo Ryu

Tal,
    Information on Tendo ryu and the Shingetsukai can be found here.

http://naginata.org/shingetsukai/shingetsukai.html

There is no website in Japanese to my knowledge. This English language website was posted and approved by the Soke, Mitamura Takeko.

There has been no real need nor interest in creating a clearinghouse of information.

Eric
    Eric Montes

Likes (received)

Exclamation 17th Generation Soke Appointed

Hi all,

Just wanted to announce that Kimura Yasuko Sensei has just been appointed the 17th Soke of Tendo-ryu naginata.

Kimura Sensei was one of the senior students of the Mitamura Soke, and has been very actively spreading Tendo-ryu and Atarashii Naginata throughout Japan as well as Internationally. We have had the pleasure of hosting her in America a number of times (Southern California in particular), and have always enjoyed the training and walked away with nice memories. I personally am very happy to hear of her selection, and am confident she will be an excellent successor.

Best of all, it looks like Tendo-ryu will continue on for at least one more generation.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Tendo Ryu is certainly alive in Mabuchi Seiko's teachings. If anyone is interested in learning Tendo Ryu, please visit our dojo in Yokohama:

http://www.tendoryu-yokohama.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by k clark View Post
    Tendo Ryu is certainly alive in Mabuchi Seiko's teachings. If anyone is interested in learning Tendo Ryu, please visit our dojo in Yokohama:

Mabuchi Seiko is an old training colleague of mine, in Shinto Muso-ryu, Toda-ha Buko-ryu, and Tendo-ryu. She is one of the most dedicated students of Tendo-ryu I have ever met and one of the most proficient. If people in the Yokohama area are interested in training in koryu bujutsu, she is definitely one of the best around.

Meik Skoss

Likes (received)

Bumping this again to see if anyone is interested.

Likes (received)

Short trip this year sadly
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

I just got a book written by late Abe Toyoko Sensei and I found there are some tachi vs tachi kata in it