Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Legends and high rankings

Likes (received)

Donn

My sarcasm as you pointed out is well earned.

For someone that has "relinqushed all ranks" you certainly seem to have a lot of ranks listed on your website....the people in your organization seem to have long lists of them AND lets not forget that one of the services you offer IS "certification."

We can parse that meaning out like a couple of legal pro's if you wish.......the technical differnces between "rank" and "certification" etc.....but at the end of the day--its essentially the same thing....you can't logically decry the problems with ranking on one day then sell certifactions the next.

The only "actions" and "explainations" you have to deal with are those you, yourself, brought into the discussion.

I notice that you did not answer any of my questions...merely danced around them and are now taking your leave.

Its your right to do so........but in the future may I suggest that if you plan on makeing dubious claims and advancing questionable marketing techniques you do so with greater care......I'm no less and no more than any customer that might wander into or call your school/organization......being asked logical questions by resonably informed people should not be a problem......being asked logical questions by resonably informed people and not getting good answers IS the problem.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Having been a former member (a long time ago) of Porter's organization, I just want to say I think the OP's article about Phil granting a jujitsu 9th dan is ridiculous, based upon DIRECT observation.

I had hosted Phil for two days of seminars here years ago. One of them was a "jujitsu" seminar. It was AWFUL. While Phil is an excellent, top-notch judoka, he unsuccessfully tried to teach his judo as "self-defense jujitsu." The techniques made no sense in a self-defense context, they were amateurish, and it clearly showed that Phil had no experience with real fighting - ever.

The only good thing I can say about it is I couldn't take it and I told Porter this over lunch - he actually seemed to have an open mind about it, and asked me how I would have presented, taught, and executed certain techniques. I told/showed him, and he seemed to be accepting of the criticism. I went so far as to tell him to stick to what he knows - competition judo, and leave the self-defense stuff, and the jujitsu, to the jujitsu folks.

Yes, I finally told Phil to stuff all of it, including ranks when I got my head out of my a$$. I have had an ongoing battle for YEARS to have all references of me removed from his website; he STILL has an old, defunct club of mine listed.

Jeff Cook

Likes (received)

Hello all,
    Jeff,
    You are correct in my opinion on the Phil Porter issue. He is a fantastic Judo instructor however, his integrity is another story. Money is king to him. As a former USMA member, I have seen good and bad in the association. Many members are completely legit. While others are very overranked or ranked in Arts that they have no training in etc. I think that many members join because they really do not have anywhere to turn for ranks to promote their students if their instructors are deceased, no longer teaching etc. In that regard, Martial Arts Associations can be necessary if they are run correctly with the integrity of the Martial Arts in mind. When I joined the USMA, I was tested and evaluated by Donn Schucker who always did this before promoting or accepting a new member ranks. In contrast, if Phil Porter was contacted, no verification of Martial Arts history, including rank, was verified. Porter believes that people are usually honest but as we all know, this is not the case as maybe 25% of the USMA members are legit. He is not honest so go figure. After meeting Sensei Schucker, I have been studying with him as he has taken me on as a student. His Judo is actually better than Porter’s by far, plus his Jujitsu is legit not just a bunch of Judo hacked up to fool some people as Jujitsu. I have seen some question the legitimacy of Sensei Schucker on this forum. All I can say is invite him to your dojo! I have been in the Martial Arts for 23 years now. Studied with three Jujitsu instructors and traveled to seminars all over the country and some outside the country. He is by far the most knowledgeable Martial Artist I have ever met.

Likes (received)

I must address the comment that cxt made about Sensei Donn Schucker regarding "makeing dubious claims and advancing questionable marketing techniques". I have met Sensei Schucker on more than one occassion, and can personally vouch for his legitimacy. Not only is he a VERY skilled martial artist, but a VERY humble human being who I have the utmost respect for. What you need to understand is that the IAMA website was only put on the net a few weeks ago, and some kinks need to be worked out.

I do agree that organizations are necessary. As was pointed out earlier... what if a student's sensei passes away? What I am shocked at is the trust factor here. As martial artist, do we need to worry about phone calls that can't be "recorded" or heard publically? Has the martial arts really come to such paranoia? Also, how can we call IAMA's promotions marketable when the organization in itself is a non profit organization. Actually, cxt, if you knew anything about Sensei Schucker, you would know that he does not charge for any seminar/teaching he does at your or anybody elses dojo.

What Sensei Schucker is doing is not "dancing around" questions, but merely demonstration one of the virtues of bushido, which is courtesy. Also, CXT, what do you mean by "my sarcasm is well earned"? I don't quite follow your point... Also, speaking of not knowing people. I googled "Chris Thomas martial arts" and found on the first page that he(possibly you?) wrote a 5 year old martial art's book titled Little Jay Learns Karate (hey, at least it has word games!) Is this yourself, or is Chris Thomas your "pen name"?

Likes (received)

Everyone, please be sure to real all of our rules, uncluding signing your name on each post.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

George,
    Sorry about not posting my name. I thought for some reason it would post it as I was logged in. Thank you for the reminder.
    Jim Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2