Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Motobu Sensei's Naihanchi

Likes (received)

Default Motobu Sensei's Naihanchi

I came across this animated GIF and thought others might find it enjoyable to see. It's not as good as a film, but it provides a glimpse of what Motobu Sensei's Naihanchi might have looked like.

http://www.okinawan-shorinryu.com/motubu_naihanchi.html

Best,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Default Naihanchi shodan

Looks like a decent representation - very close to the way I've seen it done. A look at nidan and sandan would be fascinating.
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

As best as I can tell from the gif, that's almost exactly the way we are taught it by one of Shinpan Gusukuma's students. The only difference I see is that in the opening move the palm is flat pointed up rather than sideways.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwood
    1) As best as I can tell from the gif, that's almost exactly the way we are taught it by one of Shinpan Gusukuma's students.
    2) The only difference I see is that in the opening move the palm is flat pointed up rather than sideways.
    1) It looks fairly similar to the way Motobu’s son does it was well. They also start to the left as opposed to starting to the right like most dojo.
    2) The palm up is another version done in Okinawa
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Motobu Sensei actually starts to the right...the footage on the video people have seen was something he does for training purposes...changing which direction the kata starts. Also, there is no Naihanchi Sandan in Motobu Ryu Kempo so unfortunately we do not have a chance to see how Chokki Sensei would have done it. I actually showed Motobu Sensei that site with his father "doing" the kata...he thought it was pretty cool.

Rob

Robert Rivers
    Tri-State Yudanshikai Kenkyukai
    www.kenkyukai.org
    Rob Rivers

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by robertmrivers
    Motobu Sensei actually starts to the right...the footage on the video people have seen was something he does for training purposes...
    Yes, I am aware of that. Maybe my post wasn't clear enough.
    I have seen them start going to the left as well as the right. They are one of the few groups that I know of that do this.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

Looks a lot like the Naihanchi form I practice!

Jesse Peters