Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plantar Fasciitis

Likes (received)

Thumbs down

Looks like my bad feet and age have caught up with me. About 3 months ago I started to to come down with this, but it has gotten worse over the past 3 weeks, due to lots of running (thanks to Uncle Sam).

My Doctor is part of an HMO and the treatment options are rather sparse. Heel cup, drugs, and rest are my current treatment. If that doesn't work, then cortisol shots, orthotics, and maybe surgery.

Well, I have done some searching on the net, and there seems to be a lot more options out there. I am strongly considering going to some other kind of doctor outside of my hmo coverage.

Does anyone have any experience with Plantar Fasciitis and budo? I suspect many of us do.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Hi John:

I had the same problem develop shortly after Ranger School. It seemed to get worse week after week. I stopped "ruck" marching and increased my running to long distances. I also began to massage my feet often after exercise. I would, for instance put an old shaving cream can on the floor and roll my arch over it for a while. To strengthen the arch I would do an exercise where I would put a towel (or newspaper) on the ground and roll it up using my toes. Stretching was also a big thing. I also consulted a doctor about the right kind of running shoe. "New Balance" generally makes running shoes with excellent arch support. The results:

I have been training for SFAS for the last few months and just on Saturday (28 APR 01) I did a 12 mile ruck march with a 75 lb ruck and felt no pain in the arch. Nothing. I should add that I always use rigid arch support like the ones made by "Spenco". I get better results when the arch support is not so soft that it just flattens when I put weight on it. Spenco's arch support has a rigid plastic arch which is cushioned with some neoprene. It worked great! Especially for that foot march. I didn't even feel a hint of pain... well, at least not from my feet . Take care, and good luck.

Likes (received)

Talking

John, I too suffer from Plantar Fasciitis. I found that my doctor was little help. He basically told me to make sure I stretch my arches regularly, take lots of ibuprofen for inflammation, and wear shoes with good arches. The doctor also recommended some gel type shoe inserts. I tried the inserts that he recommended, and they helped, but they wore-out pretty quickly (about 3 months). Considering that the inserts were rather expensive, I started looking for other alternatives.

For the last several years I have had good success with wearing high quality hiking/trekking boots (Italian made boots have worked best for me) with "Superfeet" inserts. I have been getting about 3 years of wear out of the boots, and have been replacing the inserts every 9 to 12 months.

In addition the trekking boots and inserts, I also massage my feet and apply Dit Da Jow (sp) lineament. This really helps, especially on days that I spend a lot of time on the mats barefoot.

Hope this helps.

Tom
    Tom Westfall
    Nikko Dojo

MarkF Guest

John,
    Well, first is not to panic and allow surgery. It is still in the inflammation stage so any kind of anti-inflammatories which work for you (ointments, PO herbals, ibuprofen, or aspirin) generally provide relief but no cure. Rest is good medicine from any side of the isle. Sometimes underwater ultrasound has good results.

Personally, acupressure or shiatsu massage followed by acupuncture treatment has shown remarkable results. HMO docs are limited, because they don't know what else to do and cannot do some things they would like to do, and anything short of surgery should be attempted.

Plantar's fasciitis is a muscle cramp, similar to night cramps in the legs and to muscle spasms in the back.

Try anything you wish, but go to the store and by a quantity of Tonic Water. This contains Cinchona (Quinine) and I've taken that for my bad back with very quick results. It ain't called "Tonic" for nothing.

And for the Homepathy-directed, there are Homeopathic tablets which can be swallowed or placed under the tongue. Taste is terrible but you should know the results within a few seconds to a few minutes. Personally, I like the Tonic Water best, and capsules can be prescribed or bought over the counter (they were always available OTC, but recently were removed from the shelves. I've been told they are coming back so ask a pharmacist (homeo or otherwise).

Mark

Likes (received)

Wink

Hi,
    I too, suffer from plantar fasciaitis.
    What I did, seemed to help IMMENSELY. In fact, I have very little discomfort any more, whereas I used to be in quite a bit of pain. I couldn't even train karate.

I saw a podiatrist. He confirmed my diagnosis ;-)

For me, YMMV, he recommended a motion control shoe and gave me a prescription for orthotics, shold the shoe not do the trick. The shoe helped a lot, your podiatrist should be able to recommend some brands and models.
    It still wasn't enough, so I decided to do the orthotic route. I wish I had done that earlier. I'm just about pain free! I can train again. The pain level, that I do have is on the order of a minor annoyance, that I can easily ignore, and it's getting better.

I got my orthotics from:
    http://www.activefeetorthotics.com/index.html

I like them a lot and they were about half of the price that I would have paid at the brick and mortar store.

Rob

Likes (received)

I've worn orthotics for 20 years, and they resolved a number of knee and ankle problems. Shop carefully; the doctors charge between $250 and $600 for them, but they all come from the same labs.

Since your choice of footware is limited, note that orthotics fit inside your boots, and so long as you don't tell the folks running the APFT, they'll never know the difference.

BTW, the issue boot is decent footwear, but seriously consider the uninsulated Gore-Tex boot instead, as I found it gave considerable lateral support.

Likes (received)

I have had the problem in the past. Change your footware to good shoes or boots and avoid training shoes. My feet cleared up completely after I started wearing good quality boots instead of training shoes. Before I changed they used to hurt like hell-burning along with shooting pain.

Shell out on some Rocky boots and I can say from experience you wont regret it. Well worth the extra money and a lot more supporting that training shoes

I have read somewhere that reducing the intake of processed carbohydrates ( bread, chips, soda's,candy, etc ) and increasing protein consumption can help. I would also go along with this.

I can remember when I started school, the old fashioned teachers would not allow training shoes to be worn-not because of fashion trends ( It wasnt a big issue then compared to now ), but because it was believed that they were bad for the feet. They may have had a point.

Personally, I wear boots for any prolonged walking, and not training shoes.
    Michael Becker

Likes (received)

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Now, if I can find orthotics made for tabi, I will be all set.
    John Lindsey

Emily Guest

Originally posted by John Lindsey
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. Now, if I can find orthotics made for tabi, I will be all set.
    (laughing)
    I got a mild case of plantar fasciitis in my left foot after an ankle injury left me unable to stretch my calf or sole of my foot past the angle of the damaged cartilage in my ankle.

Since I'm a massage person (this was before I was practicing) I rubbed the fascia to stretch it for a couple months and have not had a problem since.

You might check out a qualified myotherapist, I recommend those who know the names Travell and Simons over those who don't.
    Go here to find them:
    http://www.abmp.com/
    http://www.amtamassage.org/

Should you decide to try this yourself, use dry hands on a dry foot, use your thumbs and strong pressure (almost "too much") to alternately stretch the fascia below the skin in opposite lengthwise directions as well as horizontal.
    Do this after a hot soak or shower, your feet will smell better and the tissue will be more pliable.

A footrub beats surgery, says I...
    :-)

(ps, I do wear orthotics in my "mat shoes" because my second toe is longer than my big toe and causes probs - these orthotics are cheap and can be made out of old mouse pads and Dr. Scholls Air-Pillo insoles)

Likes (received)

The best treatment so far is the following:

Take a six pack of ice cold beer. But two beers flat on the floor. Roll your feet over the cans. Drink the beer. Seems to work for me, because I always feel better afterwards .

Thanks for all the advice!
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

Talking

Being a massage therapist also, I fully agree with Emily. I am sure there are a lot of alternative therapies out there that could do the trick also.

I specifically work on plantar fasciitis problems in my practice (amongst many other things.) I see it a LOT in runners and people with high arches.

Good luck with your feet....

Excuse me; I have to go rub my own feet now

Dean Nelson

nicholas Guest

OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME THE URLS FOR MORE INFO!!!

I cannot stand in one position for more than 1-2 minutes because of my plantar facitis. Orthotics have not done a lick of good and last year I spent about six months on crutches! I HATE this. I cannot do one tenth of the things that I used to and would give anything to make this go away. Doctors (VA doctors) just tell me to use crutches and sit down all of the time and that won't even work.

Recently I got lucky though. I discovered the new Dr. Scholls inserts. For a long time doctors have been telling me that I need a more rigid surface to help my foot. They were VERY wrong. The ONLY time that I feel no pain in my feet is when I put the Dr. Scholls inserts into a pair of Tabi. It is truly like a miracle!

Of course, you can't (well, you probably shouldn't) wear Tabi outside of the house or Dojo so I'm screwed there.

My first Reiki master had plantar facitis and gave herself Reiki treatments every day for it. After a few weeks she didn't have it anymore. I don't feel comfortable using Reiki on myself though so I can't make any claims.

Definately get the Scholls inserts and stop running if you can. You'll strip the cartillage out of your knees and hips and maybe screw up your back if you keep running with plantar facitis (lord knows that I did). Deep massage can keep the tendons from going too crazy also, if you can find someone to deep tissue massage your feet!

And PLEASE let me know where I can go on the web for more info on anything that can help!

Thanks,

Nicholas Trammell

Likes (received)

What about Rolfing? Is it possible to get just a foot treatment and not the whole package?
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

From my perspective, a nice foot massage would probably help.

Do not take advice off of the internet in place of your doctor and do this all at your own risk. What works for me and my clients may not work for you. Massage therapists can not diagnose any ailments, only a doctor can. Be aware of your body and trust your gut if you think your have a more severe problem (like gout for example) get a second opinion.

Some ‘basic’ pointers for doing it your self or getting some one to do it that is not trained in massage but has good hands:

1) Smooth gliding strokes with out any lotion on a clean, warm feet (fresh out of the shower or bath is best)

2) Cross fiber friction. Do this by taking your thumbs in 2 different directions. You’re going to try to loosen the fascial tissue and other tissues in the foot. Go from top to bottom or bottom to top. Be careful because if done too intrusively, this can have a burning feeling.

3) Once the tissues of the foot is feeling looser (feeling looser for the person massaging), you can work deeper in. At this point, I would apply a little oil or lotion but not too much, you just want a nice glide. Remember: when working deeper go much slower. When applying deeper pressure, stop on each point where you feel a 'ropey' feeling. With out easing up the pressure much, you can move your fingers in a small circular motion or in a cross fiber motion.

The goal of working deeper is to hit on all of the painful points and apply enough pressure that the receiver of the massage is feeling a tolerable pain. You should notice that when pressure is applied to the ropey, painful area, if the pressure remains steady, the receiver should start to feel the pain subside, even though the person giving the massage did not ease up on his/her pressure.

4) An other way to do some treatment is to ‘walk’ with your thumbs in very tiny pressing motions all over the foot, slowly with tolerable pressure. Both parties may feel (or even hear) some crunching sounds of the lactic acid crystals and other toxins being crunched up.

Remember, the feet are at the lowest end of our gravity. All of the heavy toxins in our body that we eat, inhale and accumulate in our lifetime have a tendency of settling to the bottom of the feet. You should drink plenty of water after the massage so your body can flush out all of these toxins.

Hope this helps,

Dean Nelson

Tami Guest

Cool Re: Rolfing

John,

As for getting only a certain area rolfed, it might depend on the rolfer, but mine will work only a problem area if that is your preference. I have been through the whole series plus. My rolfer is willing to work just one area, but she has found that once people discover the benefits they tend to go for the whole series

My husband has had problems with a slipped disk for many years. Jan said she could probably help him even if he only wanted that worked on. He was resistant to try rolfing so I paid for a visit for him for Father's Day and he went. He ended up doing the whole series.

If you have a good rolfer at your disposal I recommend you give it a try even if it is just for the feet, but all the better if you can do the whole series.

Best regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast