Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does it work on the "Street"?

Likes (received)

Default Does it work on the "Street"?

Please forgive a little "tongue in cheek" curiosity of mine. When people refer to an art's usefulness on the "street" what exactly are people talking about? If I am a karate guy and I avoid a fight in a bar, does that mean my karate works "on the street".

How about if I am on the sidewalk? What about on the side of the interstate? How about if I am playing soccer and someone from the other team takes a swing and I move out of the way and avoid getting hit? Hmmm...the more I think about it the more I get confused.

On a more serious note...I hear people hold something up as an effective martial art if/when it works "on the street" but I can't really figure out what that means. A person could drive over someone they disliked but that doesn't mean that "Pontiac-do" is the latest new effective martial art.

So the question that I am curious about is, What does "on the street" mean to people?

I have often thought of "on the street" as any altercation where there are no rules...and I mean truly no rules, not "no holds barred" not "ultimate fighter"...no rules about anything. Following that, I would say that a fighter (not a martial art) is effective if they can stay alive and relatively uninjured in situations where there are truly no rules.

Any thoughts?

Best,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Its the first thought of most people, ie what if I do this....... yeah but will it work on the street.......... all that jazz.

For me its nothing to do with the art and everything to do with how one trains (conditioning, defense against common methods of assault, messy sparring, grappling etc etc) and the kind of person they are, and the expierience they have on the street..........!

My karate has got me through some rough times on the street, ie fights, so my karate works for me well enough, am I the ultimate bad dude!!!, well no and im happy with that to.
    Rgds,

Jim Neeter
    Shorin Ryu Seito Matsumura Karate and Kobudo UK
    www.shoshinkanuk.org

Likes (received)

There is a new device out that is supposed to help in "road rage" situations.
    I don't know if it works but it sure looks neat.
    Protection Device
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRousselot
    Protection Device
    Very Funny !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler
    Very Funny !
    Ya, I'm thinkin' about getting one.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

Talking "monkey style"

You know I studied this MA a long time ago and I always found the suit a bit tight, but this guy is really good
    Consider fully , act decisively
    Alec Corper

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRousselot
    Protection Device
    Robert:

Priceless! A laugh to start my day here!

Thanks

Best,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan