Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of ussd?

Likes (received)

Default Anyone heard of ussd?

A dojo opened up recently near my house. They are the United Stuidos of Self Defense( http://www.ussd.com/ ). I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this orginazation.

Thanks

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bigphilwastaken
    A dojo opened up recently near my house. They are the United Stuidos of Self Defense( http://www.ussd.com/ ). I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this orginazation.

Thanks
    Have you considered moving away to another neighborhood?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by William Lassete
    Have you considered moving away to another neighborhood?

He'd better do it quickly as with them in the neighborhood, the property values will plummet!

Rob

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Alvelais
    He'd better do it quickly as with them in the neighborhood, the property values will plummet!

Rob
    Are they like "Moonies" or something?
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRousselot
    Are they like "Moonies" or something?

They're an offshoot of Fred Villari's Shaolin Kempo. The USSD Schools in my area used to be Fred Villari studios. They got some capital and they're opening up all over, using long-term contracts and such and generally poisioning the waters here by leaving people with a bad taste.

From chatting with one of their franchise owners, USSD prohibits them from participating in the seminars or tournamens of outside organizations. They only compete in USSD's closed tournaments.

Rob

Likes (received)

1) They're an offshoot of Fred Villari's Shaolin Kempo. The USSD Schools in my area used to be Fred Villari studios. They got some capital and they're opening up all over, using long-term contracts and such and generally poisioning the waters here by leaving people with a bad taste.

2) From chatting with one of their franchise owners, USSD prohibits them from participating in the seminars or tournamens of outside organizations. They only compete in USSD's closed tournaments.
    Rob
    1) That sucks for those people that actually teach something decent. All the more reason to bring back "dojo yaburi".

2) If I hadn't seen "USSD" written I would have sworn you were talking about the JKA/JKF.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

They're an offshoot of Fred Villari's Shaolin Kempo. The USSD Schools in my area used to be Fred Villari studios. They got some capital and they're opening up all over, using long-term contracts and such and generally poisioning the waters here by leaving people with a bad taste.

From chatting with one of their franchise owners, USSD prohibits them from participating in the seminars or tournamens of outside organizations. They only compete in USSD's closed tournaments.

Rob

Plus, their martial arts are, shall we say, dubious.

Likes (received)

Im beginning to believe I will never find a decnent school thats not 100 miles away. Thanks so much for all the info!

Glad not to be screwed again,

Likes (received)

Default Texas

Where in Texas do you live. Perhaps the forum crawlers here at E-budo can help you narrow down your search.

.....We know everybody....everybody....
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

Likes (received)

Default USSD cont.

I am in The Woodlands, which is about 30 miles north of Houston.

Likes (received)

Im attempting to bump this cause it was moved to archive and isnt being displayed.

Likes (received)

Theres a Shorin-Ryu ShorinKan Dojo in Houston

Keller's Martial Arts Plaza
    Houston, TX 77210

I hope this helps
    Joe Stitz

"Black belt and white belt are the same, white belt is the beginning of technique. Black belt is the beginning of understanding. Both are beginner belts."
    - Doug Perry -Hanshi, KuDan -Shorin Ryu ShorinKan

Likes (received)

Thanks so much for the help, but unfortuantely thats about 45 min away from my house

Thanks again,

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bigphilwastaken
    Thanks so much for the help, but unfortuantely thats about 45 min away from my house
    If you are lucky. Knowing the commute in Houston, its probably more like 90 min.
    Norbert Funke
    日本人では無い
    http://saw.wikia.com

Likes (received)

Default Distance

Although I understand your limitations on distance, it may be necessary to travel to get good training. I live five hours from my teacher and only see him every other month or so. The rest of the time I spend honing my skills. In some ways I have found this to be better than attending a regular training class. I don't take it for granted and I spend a lot of time on detailed training.

I also think that my teacher takes more time to get things across to me when I do train with him. I live in Wyoming, where you are lucky if you can find somebody who isn't a fraud or who is skilled in something.
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast