Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 Months.

Likes (received)

Default 3 Months.

Please dont hurt me, I dont know where else to put this...

Ok, Take any martial art.

Now, how much could you learn in 3 months.

Now this is the part where I go: "Well uhhh a friend of a friend of mine wanted to know, not me."

But I wont take that road, I dont really know why... but I still wont.

The plan is, I'm going somewhere special for my summer vacation, and I'd like to take martial art lessons over summer vacation, just for fun and it'd be good to learn.

I'll put this in bold: I DO NOT expect to be somekind of Black belt/unstoppable killing machine after summer vacation. I'm just curious.

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

It really depends on how much of that three months you can devote to training- will you be uchi deshi, doing it every day or are you gonna go twice a week ?
    Actually, go do it, enjoy and maybe you'll want to continue after vacation.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Wink

Mate,

As Jock said it will depend on how often you intend to train. You should ask yourself some questions like

1. What do you want out of it ?
    2. Are you likely to continue it after the 3 months
    3. What quality instuctors are in that area

If you have had any previous training this may help as 3 months can be well spent with the right instructor/club.

Just some thoughts

Rowan Jones

Likes (received)

How physically fit and athletically gifted are you?

If you're already playing varsity football, basketball, and baseball, depending on the season, you can probably learn a lot in three months.

If you're so spastic that chewing gum and walking is an accomplishment, well, it could take a bit longer.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MoppyPuppy
    The plan is, I'm going somewhere special for my summer vacation, and I'd like to take martial art lessons over summer vacation, just for fun and it'd be good to learn.
    Somewhere special as in out of the country thingie ?
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

MarkF Guest

Well, if it is just for fun, then go to the local boxing gym, wherever you may be. I have forgotton more than I learned in my life, but getting the peaches beat out of me taught me the most in a short time.

Mark

Likes (received)

Default wow.

I take it back, maybe its not for fun, though I'm sure it will be.

Oh... boy... what should I learn?!
    I dont really know what I want to learn cause I dont know very many martial arts. Like most people (or maybe its just me) when someone says Martial Arts I immedietely think Karate.

But what if I want to learn something that is that common?
    Is there a list? Any suggestions?

Likes (received)

I take it back, maybe its not for fun, though I'm sure it will be.

Oh... boy... what should I learn?!
    I dont really know what I want to learn cause I dont know very many martial arts. Like most people (or maybe its just me) when someone says Martial Arts I immedietely think Karate.

But what if I want to learn something that is that common?
    Is there a list? Any suggestions?

Jeremuah,

Here is a unbiased suggestion. First, Grab a local phone book. Make a list of the styles available, then research it on the internet. When you find the style that appeals to you. Call the Dojo / Dojang and ask to see if you can try it out. Don't ask for a one day guest pass , see if they offer you one week or even one month pass. If they charges you for a month then invest in it. You really have nothing to lose but time and small amount of money.

You want to make sure that this is the art for you. Lastly, some of us cannot really tell you what art is for you, we do not know you.

Good luck and let us know your findings. !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

My advice: find whatever's easy to get to, with training times that suit you.

You only have a short time, so you might as well get stuck in to whatever is available. Don't worry about what it is, stylewise.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

I'd like to take martial art lessons over summer vacation, just for fun and it'd be good to learn.

I'll put this in bold: I DO NOT expect to be somekind of Black belt/unstoppable killing machine after summer vacation.
    Putting "martial arts lessons over the summer" in the same context as "be some kind of black belt / unstoppable klling machine"

is like putting together "making a souflé" and "egging a house on hallowe'en,"

they both use eggs but other than that there is no relationship.

Projecting your fantasies on the reples here, even in the negative, suggests you get a Sensei over 45 years old who does not do tournaments.
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Likes (received)

Default yeah... ok...

Um... I dont know what to make of that.

But I'm under the suspicion that this is the kind of response I tried so hard to prevent.

I shouldn't care.

Likes (received)

Red face the summer pain project...

alas, some won't understand the urge to try something out, and see where you get.

If you are in a good school, and start in reasonable shape, by the end of the summer you should know if you like what you are doing. You will probably also notice changes in your balance - and other things depending on what art you choose.

If you aren't in shape, I'd suggest starting some modest exercises and stretches NOW, to avoid several weeks of real pain. You will still feel it, since you will be asking your body to do something new, using muscles in ways you haven't, but some strength and flexibility going in will help.

If you do undertake this project, go 3 -4 times a week - I don't think less than that will build any kind of useful body memory in the time frame you have.

enjoy (and maybe report back in September?)

mew
    Margaret Welsh

"It's more fun when they do it to themselves." Barbara Hambly

Likes (received)

Um... I dont know what to make of that.

But I'm under the suspicion that this is the kind of response I tried so hard to prevent.

I shouldn't care.
    You should care as some of the posters here has been training time are quiet older than your oldest sweats.

Have you ever been in a dojo ?
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

My question is "Why the three month time limit?"
    Are you intending to train for only three months? Or are you planning to do 3 months of intensive training (liberal translation:Hell) and then return to a more "regular" training pattern?

I think you haven't given us enough information about yourself for us to be particularly helpful - "Hey, I've been learning Shotokan karate for about 10 years, I'm going to Okinawa for 3 months and I'm particularly interested in learning some Okinawan kobudo - maybe bo. How much do you think I could learn on a 3-4 session per week training program?" or something similar would give us a better frame of reference.

Try rewording your origninal question I think you'll be happier with the responces.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

well, I read it as 'curious newbie who wants to try something out'

what harm, hmm?

I started in 1977 with a summer self-defense course. 3 months was the time limit because, like our poster, I had to be in school [in another city] in September. it was major pain, and funfunfun

I hadn't planned to do anything beyond that, but that first potatochip was soooo yummy....

relax -It's not like he's proposing to marry anyone's daughter!

mew
    Margaret Welsh

"It's more fun when they do it to themselves." Barbara Hambly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast